Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery fed light with fuse and reed switch help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeralph123

Hello,
I'm trying to install a 12v 20a battery fed L.E.D lighting circuit with around a 1amp fuse? possibly a 1amp resistor aswell for safety? And a normally open reed switch capable of switching 0.7amps DC so maby a 1 or 2amp switching currrent? So it does not burn out quickly when used but I would still like a very low pull sensitivity (AT) as the distance from the magnet would have to be around 20-35mm. So any help would be appreciated helping me find a suitable reed switch, fuse and possibly a resistor?

Thank you
Joe ralph

Welcome to ETO!
I think you'll have a hard time finding a reed switch which will operate that far from the magnet. The most sensitive reed switch (unknown brand) in my junk box needs to be less than ~15mm from the most powerful magnet I've got. Also, reed switches capable of carrying 0.7A are unusual and probably expensive. Have you considered using a Hall Effect sensor with a relay or power semiconductor device?
Don't know what you mean by a '1A resistor'.

Oh ok and does a Hall effect sensor have a parasitic effect on the battery? And I ment a voltage regulator of some sort? As I was worried about the reed switch sparking and deteriorating, I don't no much about Hall effect sensors so will have a butchers now thank you :D and I have no idea what a power semi conductor device is XD sorry I'm very much a newby at this

The AT rating is the Ampere-turns needed for powering a coil surrounding the reed-switch. How that relates to the maximum operating distance using an unspecified magnet is anybody's guess.

This exceeds the current rating if any Reed switch. and magnetic field at that distance is too weak to excite any reed.

Try again . but forget reed switches.

You might get that to work, I've had decent range from a reed switch with a old microwave magnet, a good size neo magnet ought to give you 20mm without much trouble, you'd have to get some and try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back