Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Batteries swelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingz

Hi.
I have an android cell and a 4G Internet device that use li-po batteries. I bought both devices in March 2014 but there are constant problems with the batteries. They keep swelling. I've gone through 3 batteries on my cell and I noticed a few days ago that the battery on Internet device has started making cracks on the shell (I've stopped using it now). It wasn't until a few months ago that I figured out what I'm pretty sure is causing this when I held it and the device was very cold to the touch. My place is suffering a serious lack of isolation in the walls and no windows, so in the summer it gets quite warm and in the winter it gets very cold (in the winter sodas are colder when kept on the floor than in the fridge ). I started putting it inside my warm clothing in the winter (the problem causes serious lack of performance on the devices) and it started working again. It's a bit more difficult in the summer, but I have started putting them in the freezer, for a few minutes, from time to time and it starts working again for a little while.
I have a couple of questions if anybody can help.
Could my guess be accurate as to what is causing this, (my dad says it can not be because they're supposed to work just fine up to 40-50*C and it is definitely not that hot in my place, although it might go up to 35)
And the second one is if that really is the cause, is there anything I can do to avoid the devices getting too hot and cold?

Hneta 3.jpg
The battery on the 4g Device

Hneta 2.jpg
Another one

Hneta.jpg
The shell on the internet device.

My guess is the device's charge circuit is faulty.... The device's charge circuit is supposed to detect the Lipo's temperature and slow the charging down.... The bulging is down to overcharging..

There should be a 4 pin connector on the battery... one of the connectors is for the temperature... Has the overcharging meted the connector so there is no actual connection...

Well, I do know that can't be a good thing, and sounds like a potential fire/explosion hazard. I realize cell phones are expensive, but I would suggest you discontinue use before something bad happens. If I recall my chemistry, lithium is a very reactive and hot burning metal. For your safety, please remove the battery and stop using the phone.

Heat accelerates aging of battery during charge and discharge but increases capacity at the expense of less life.
Cold reduces capacity.

How many charge cycles or days of use?

Well since my laptop is over 10 years old and really started to show it I mostly use it to watch videos and everything else I do on the phone. I really don't bother with Internet browsers on my laptop anymore because it will freeze. I'm autistic and a lot of alone time is detrimental to my mental health and allows me to have friends and even travel abroad. A lot of alone time has to be filled with something and that's mostly app games on my cell. When I'm home I keep it charging. My cell almost only runs out of battery when I'm travelling because I don't really use it that much when I'm out and about. That is a lot of use, but still 3 batteries in less than 18 months? And the Internet... I would think that it was made for being connected to 24/7.

Though, the Internet isn't a problem any more since I've got a 4G router that doesn't use battery now.

And maybe I will put less pressure on my cell soon, since I'm hoping to be able to afford a new laptop next month... If not next month (not sure I'll be able to afford it next month because I've just travelled to Rome, Italy, this month) then in October.

I bought a cheap battery for my Toshiba laptop about 2 years ago... It was one of these "Ebay" deals from china.... It lasted a little over a month..... I bought a genuine battery from Toshiba.... Still going today ( I only use it as an internet radio at work )..

Don't get AudioGuru started on cheap batteries!!!!!

I don't buy cheap Chinese Li-Po batteries.

I have an EXPENSIVE American Li-Po battery for my electric radio controlled model airplanes that is bulging on one of its two cells. It has not been used much and has not been discharged to a voltage less than recommended. I have a balanced charger that charges each cell separately and properly. This battery is dangerous but it works fine. I watch it when it is charging which is when it might catch on fire or explode.

One thing I did wrong was to store it over two winters at full charge which is bad for a Li-Po battery. I store all my other Li-Po batteries properly at half of a full charge and they are not swollen. Maybe your swollen battery was fully charged most of its life.

Only Lenovo AFAIK has a smart laptop charger to keep LiPo between 50~75% charge when plugged in all the time. It monitors useage habits and can be enabled for full charge when needed. THis extends battery life significantly and is also shipped at 50% SOC like most vendors.

Only Lenovo AFAIK has a smart laptop charger to keep LiPo between 50~75% charge when plugged in
My new Samsung 550p does.... But I'm the fool who never unplugs the laptop.... I use it as a desktop.. It's on 24/7..

A Li-Po battery charger is supposed to disconnect when it senses a full charge which is 4.20V per cell and the charging current has dropped to 1/40th the capacity of the battery. But if your product is plugged into the mains all the time then the battery remains unused at full charge which damages it. The battery becomes obese due to too much input and lack of exercise.

is Battery Life Extender ON 80%SOC on 550p?

is Battery Life Extender ON 80%SOC on 550p?
Yep!

You set it from the bios.... I used to be able to switch it on from Windows 8 power controls, but as I have window7 now.... Its a bios change....

I really have no idea if it works, as I have never turned the computer off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back