Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic capacitor theory ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tron87

Suppose i had a rc charging circuit consisting of resistor(rc) in series with the capacitor(c) and the following parameters.

rc = 47kohm
c = 1000uf
vs = 5v

I know so far that 1 time consent = 47sec
capacitor is fully charged at 5 x 47sec = 235sec

Using the following formula how would i find the voltage across the capacitor at 120 sec ?

Vc = V(1 - e-t/RC)
where

Vc is the voltage across the capacitor
Vs is the supply voltage
t is the elapsed time since the application of the supply voltage
RC is the time constant of the RC charging circuit

Also what formula do i use to find the time required for voltage across capacitor to reach say 6v ?

Last edited:
tron87,

Suppose i had a rc charging circuit consisting of resistor(rc) in series with the capacitor(c) and the following parameters.

rc = 47kohm
c = 1000uf
vs = 5v

I know so far that 1 time consent = 47sec
capacitor is fully charged at 5 x 47sec = 235sec

The capacitor energized to 99% of the supply voltage at that time.

Using the following formula how would i find the voltage across the capacitor at 120 sec ?

Vc = V(1 - e-t/RC)
where

Let's not get sloppy. The correct way to write that equation is Vc = Vs(1 - e^(-t/RC)) or Vc = Vs(1 - exp(-t/RC)) . Just plug in the values and solve for the unknown. It will be 92% of the supply voltage.

Also what formula do i use to find the time required for voltage across capacitor to reach say 6v ?

Is that a joke? How can the capacitor ever charge to 6 volts when the supply voltage is only 5 volts.

Ratch

4.5V = 5(1-e^-t/RC)

4.5/5 - 1 = -e^-t/RC

e^t/RC = 1/(1 - 4.5/5)

t = RC*ln(1/(1 - 4.5/5))

t = 47*ln(10)

t = 47*2.3

t = 108seconds

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads