Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Banning of electronic cigarettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

audioguru

Most Helpful Member
I heard recently that the World Safety Organization has banned the sale of electronic cigarettes. Is it true because Google doesn't know about it yet.

Apparently some of them BLEW UP! I don't know if the victims had his/her face blown off or if his/her pocket or purse blew up along with their s.. (reproductive) organs.
Good old Lithium rechargeable batteries blow up.

I don't know if that is true or not, but I have heard about exploding phone batteries.. maybe they should ban cellphones. Or cigarettes.

.... or batteries.

Laptops were banned too. And some airplanes. That is why we are back into cuban cigars, telegrams and horse carriages...
A "World Safety Organization" would ban Li-ion cells, not the device. Good joke attempt.

Want another joke ? ---->

:):):)

Hi,

Water+Lithium is not a good combination. However, there was a commercial on just last night advertising one of those electronic cigarettes. So unless the ban happened since around 10:30pm last night (which would mean in the last 12 hours) then either it didnt happen or that company didnt hear about it yet.

Perhaps the "World Safety Organization" ought to be banned: then we could get on with our lives.

Perhaps the "World Safety Organization" ought to be banned: then we could get on with our lives.
Plus one here!!!! Can't stand these organisations..... Whatever happened to common sense!

As a user of ecigs I will offer my opinion....

Like any other cheap imported batteries there is a chance they are not made to a high standard as expected by the EU regulations and marked with a proper CE logo meaning it's met EU standards and not a Chinese Export - an alternative acronym.

Although the energy in a ecig battery is lowish - 350mAh to 1.2Ah, the problem is they are usually (speaking for the commonly available 510 connector batteries) sealed in a stainless steel tube.

In a faulty battery, any build up of energy is contained until it reaches a critical point where in a plastic enclosure it may fiz or burn. In a steel tube it will build up further heating the contents and eventually explode spewing hot metal and lithium. Lithium is highly reactive with water. Get that on your skin and you will know about it.

Shotgun powder on a spoon just burns brightly. In a cartridge it releases the same amount of energy but quicker thus a big bang. Same principle.

I always charge my ecig batteries in a Lipo-Safe bag. A bag made of fire resistant material I bought for my RC Car batteries. Never charge them unattended.

Can't stand these organisations ("World Safety Organization")..... Whatever happened to common sense!
Common sense? Millions of peop0le, in the last minute, lit a fire inches from their nose, and plan to breathe in cancer causing partials.
Common sense? The US government allows big companies to produce a dangerous product that has habit forming chemicals added.
Common sense? The US government subsidizes farmers to grow tobacco, then helps pay for cancer treatments.
Common sense? Some areas want to ban e-smoking because it is addicting. A real fire is OK.
Common sense? The government wants to stop old cars because of pollution. Maybe burning tobacco does not cause global worming.
Common sense? I don't have any.

After 30+ years of not smoking, I still get an occasional dream that I started again. I wakeup in a cold sweat thinking, it's just a dream, just a dream.

All the money I've saved has paid many bills and helps make the payments to my home. The years of smoking in my teens, has left my health broken. I'm better off than some and worse than others.

Hi,

I saw a bunch of cigarette packs in a store one time and asked the sales guy, "People are still smoking?". He replied, "Yes, and these are ten bucks a pack".
Now there used to be 20 packs to a carton, if they still sell them that would be like 200 bucks for a carton.

I cant believe people still smoke when the cost is so high and the dangers are well known. But i have talked to a few of these people, and most of them are not the heavy smokers of the past. Most of them smoke 5 to 10 cigarettes per day when in the old days they would have smoked 20 to 40 cigarettes per day which today would be a very very expensive habit. So for most people today i think the health risk is greatly reduced, although it doesnt make too much sense to me anymore why anyone would want to smoke at all.

The high cost of cigarettes is mostly taxes that pay for cancer surgery required by smokers. There are few survivors.
Canadian citizens have free health care paid by the government.

The high cost of cigarettes is mostly taxes that pay for cancer surgery required by smokers. There are few survivors.
Canadian citizens have free health care paid by the government.

Technically you become their lab rat, paid by your own dollar. (Ok, conspiracy theory but, I don't trust them) Somehow we just keep letting them get away with it.

Not enough taxes are paid by them and the Senators and Governors keep getting their annual donation.

My relative was using those ecigs. I thought of them as less irritating to the nasal function, and he told me it makes him intolerant towards the traditional cigarettes (sorta a wean-off method, so looks like good news for his lungs).

After a few months, he was smoking 'em cigarettes back. I asked why, and he replied "Back when I was smoking these, one cigarette is one cigarette. Fancy ones didn't have numbers! You just keep on recharging until you die." So now he's back on those foul-smelling ones.

*Sigh*...

Hi,

That's an interesting psychological dependency. If you cant use up the items it's not as much fun. A reusable item is not as much fun then, or doesnt seem like it is accomplishing anything.

This is a subtle thing and i've seen it in other areas of life too in the past. A seemingly small change seems to alter the whole climate of things somehow and so something that at first seems so insignificant really has a much bigger impact to the human. It's like part of what makes it what it is in the first place is lost, so it's not only not there anymore it's also perceived as a loss. Something then just doesnt seem right so the tendency is to avoid it.

I think it then takes a conscious and concerted effort to learn to accept the new thing.

At around £7-8 or $12-13 a pack of 20 cigarettes here in the UK, I'm glad I've given them up for financial reasons (around 4 years now). I do however miss them and I'm less fit, suffer from more colds and have put on weight since giving up !

I still have the dreams that I've started smoking again too :nailbiting:

*Edit - a carton of 200 Marlborough cigarettes costs the equivalent of 128usd now :(

I stopped smoking Mary Wanna and Hushish many years ago and I stopped smoking a tobacco pipe years ago. I recently stopped drinking alcohol.
Now I feel great and tests show that I am much younger than my age (I am 68). I am very fit and weigh the same as I did 50 years ago.

You Tube has videos of fires caused by e-cigarettes. Google told about an e-cigarette that blew up.

At around £7-8 or $12-13 a pack of 20 cigarettes here in the UK, I'm glad I've given them up for financial reasons (around 4 years now). I do however miss them and I'm less fit, suffer from more colds and have put on weight since giving up !

I still have the dreams that I've started smoking again too :nailbiting:

*Edit - a carton of 200 Marlborough cigarettes costs the equivalent of 128usd now :(

Glad to see you join the ranks of the non-smoker crowed welcome aboard.

There is a chance you might have asthma it is not unusual to get worsening colds. I've seen this develop in people who quit smoking after years of abuse. The lungs are able to do a little bouncing back but I'm not sure about any scare tissue. You are defiantly better off than if you were still smoking, I didn't hang around people who smoke, I was quit the first time for 3 yrs, until someone handed me one and then lit it, while I was talking. I didn't even notice until I took a drag from the cigarette, I smoked an additional 4-5 years after that day.

I have to use Dulara it' an inhaler but not a steroid. It helps me keep the inflammation down and loosens my lungs. Eventually or one of these days if I get a bad infection I might not pull through. I avoid certain areas and don't like getting into crowds of people or in rooms with a lot of people.

I stopped smoking Mary Wanna and Hushish many years ago and I stopped smoking a tobacco pipe years ago. I recently stopped drinking alcohol.
Now I feel great and tests show that I am much younger than my age (I am 68). I am very fit and weigh the same as I did 50 years ago.

You Tube has videos of fires caused by e-cigarettes. Google told about an e-cigarette that blew up.

It also has videos of laptops going up in smoke. So what's your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back