Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BANDPASS FILTERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingboy

Hello everyone,
I just signed on today and I'm glad to be on board. Anyways straight to my point: I intend to design two filters with cutoff frequencies at 10khz and 40khz respectively. So far i have been working on designing two seperate 2nd Order Band pass filters(BPF) to do the job. However I seem to be experiencing difficulties in obtaining my expected results. I've done my calculations and obtained my resistor and capacitor values accordingly yet no good response.
To add more details I have the following:
-I'm using a single ended Op-amp biased at Vcc/2 so I can get a proper swing range for my output.
-Filter topology is the Sallen-Key topology for a 2nd Order Bandpass filter
-Designing for unity gain.
-GBP of Op-Amp is 5MHz, so I can only design for a Q<=1.6 which is okay
-Desire to have good attenuation for my 10Khz BPF so I can successfully seperate my signals after the filter stages.
If anyone has ever done anything close to this or have some good insight on what I could do differently I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Hi Kingboy,
What results are you expecting?
Your bandpass filters will have a peak voltage output at each one's design frequency but since they use only 2 stages, the upper and lower frequency slopes for each one will be very broad. The 10KHz filter will still have some output at 40KHz and visa-versa.

Perhaps you should cascade 2 same filters at each frequency to obtain a higher Q which will give better frequency discrimination.

Note that a higher Q will result in a slower response time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back