Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AXEL counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoge8856

Hi all i want to design a circuit which can be used to count the number of wheels in a train using IR detection.
Please help to design the same.

What do you want to do?Count them when it is moving?I mean for what?

First of all do you know how IR sensors work? You have a transmitter and a Receiver.A train travels very fast, and how would you mount a system to do this practically?Counting can be done in various ways and the best is using microcontrollers.

What size train? Is direction important? Is this out in the sunlight where IR will be an issue?

A little more detail will get you more ideas. Maybe look into laser. Will you be allowed to mount them near the track assuming a real train?

my design is like when ever a wheel passes between the IR TX and RX it will give you a pulse, this pulse will give an interrupt to the Micr0 (eg ,8051),
on the BAsis of the interrupt micro will count the no of wheel passed through a signal.

i have only one doubt hwith this whether this circuit will give me a sharp pulse which can interrupt micro?

Then build a small opto pair across the track so it breaks the beam when a wheel passes over.
**broken link removed**
Rather across the track, you could put across one rail.
Just an option. ;)

Ken

I just count the number of cars and muliply by 8! But thats just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back