Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automated location finder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misc

Hi,

Im doing an automatic PIC-based robot that goes to a certain fixed designation position when prompted.

Example, At X, the robot is to move to Y or Z depending on user.

I can figure out the mechanical problems, however I am unsure how the robot will be able to distinguish between Y and Z.

What are my options?

What's a beacon?

If im using a GPS, does it allow me to receive the data and manipulate the data to make the robot to move to a fixed location?

What's a beacon?
an example , a light house (on sea side) is a beacon
If im using a GPS, does it allow me to receive the data and manipulate the data to make the robot to move to a fixed location?
yes , you get present co-ordinates from that , calculate your movement directions from that data

Try the SLAM (Simultaneous localization and mapping) method in its very basic form. I am not sure how thats possible, its just an idea. Choose a landmark and according to its possition move to another. Choose 2nd landmark and calculate your possition. An important part can be a collision detection system.

Another idea is that it remembers its initial position. As akg said about becon, (i guess?) For example you place it in front of you (set the point in robo memorie as 0,0) and you comand it to move a little ffw and turn right and a little more ffw again. Mark this (-2,2). This was the calibration part. Now if you command it to move to (2,2) it should calculate its moves (since it knows how it moved from 00 to -2,2 ). This might be complicated, but again, just an idea :)

Have fun!

xheavenlyx said:
Try the SLAM (Simultaneous localization and mapping) method in its very basic form. I am not sure how thats possible, its just an idea. Choose a landmark and according to its possition move to another. Choose 2nd landmark and calculate your possition. An important part can be a collision detection system.

Another idea is that it remembers its initial position. As akg said about becon, (i guess?) For example you place it in front of you (set the point in robo memorie as 0,0) and you comand it to move a little ffw and turn right and a little more ffw again. Mark this (-2,2). This was the calibration part. Now if you command it to move to (2,2) it should calculate its moves (since it knows how it moved from 00 to -2,2 ). This might be complicated, but again, just an idea :)

Have fun!

This is a good idea. and actually i've tested it on a robot that you can see on my projects page. however, this robot was discontinued because, it is very very difficult to get this system working. why?
because of the start condition. if you say you start the robot at the position (0,0) there is another variable not accounted for which is the angle, the orientation of the robot. you have to be 100 percent sure of you starting orientation, and a slight 1 or 2 degree error on on your starting agle ca cause 10 cm drift from the exprected position after the robot moved 1 meter!!

this system has to be coupled with some referece land mark to sontantly correc the position of the robot.

Good luck. and please, please, if you come up with a good solution, let us know on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back