Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automated Egg Turner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gobby

Hi All,

Not such a quick question but here we go.... I built an egg incubator and installed a linear actuator to turn 3 trays. It is currently wired at 110v reduced to 12V via transformer and finally through a 3 way switch. I would really like to automate the set up to avoid forgetting to flip the switch and turn my eggies. Heres what I have and was thinking. I have 2-120V timers, 2-tranformers, and 2-5pin sptd relays. Ive exhausted myself researching this and cant get anything to work. Is there any hope?

There have been several threads on these forums regarding opening/closing hen house doors morning and evening. The same timer hookup could be used.

1. Does your linear actuator have built-in limit switches so that the motor automatically stops fully extended and fully retracted?

2. Does the actuator have a DC motor that reverses when the polarity of the applied DC voltage is reversed?

3. How often do you want to turn the eggs?

4. What kind of timer do you have (post a picture or link)?

Here is a circuit that requires a DPDT relay with a 120Vac coil that I have posted before:

chick.gif

Last edited:
Gobby:

What you say you have isn't precise enough for us to say anything.
Many linear actuators use DC (Direct current as would be provided from a battery)
A "tranformer" only changes an AC voltage to an AC voltage.

Sp, you could have a 12 VAC synchonous AC motor with or without limit switches.

You could also be saying that your definition of a "transformer" provides DC, We would say a "120 VAC to 12 VDC power supply.

Mike asked the questions. This is very similar to a "chicken coop door". Egg turning comes up occasionally, Chicken coop come up more often.

If it already has limit switches, the process is easier. If the current demands are small, that can make things easier as well.

The general idea is to have two SPDT relays labeled OPEN or CLOSED or Position A and Position B. The limit switches are arranged to turn off the coil of the respective relay at a limit. The way the relays get arranged is that if both coils are activated or deactivated, the motor is stopped. The limit switches and the OPEN/CLOSE relays would use the 12 VDC power.

BOSCH automotive relays are cheap and designed for this.

A 120 VAC relay would connect to your time and alternate the OPEN/CLOSE signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back