Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Autistic son needs an enlarger timer - advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canik

My son and I have saved up his PIP (DLA) to get a darkroom for him, total cost on ebay £75 see photo

However he needs a timer that plugs into the mains with an outlet that goes to the enlarger allowing him to select seconds/minutes press start and the timer switches the enlarger on/off

He can't afford one from ebay, way too expensive.

and the old ones are obviously unsafe after 30-40 years

**broken link removed**

ANY advice would be appreciated

Thank you

Jeremy R

Attachments

• Dscn0559.jpg
    Dscn0559.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 174
Since you posted a link with to UK ebay, I assume you are not in the US. Otherwise I could give you one for shipping cost.
Kenj

I didn't start this. This arsehole thinks that he can call me names because his kid is autistic!! I think I gave good advice and he calls me a MORON. And to be blunt, I'm not happy.

Mike.

Personally, I don't see why datedness or autism is relevant to hobby photography at all. Neither were relevant to the topic and I don't see how the former was in any way offensive to the latter. There is obviously something else going on. I assume someone in the past did twist datedness to be somehow be offensive towards autism and it is being carried over by the OP. It didn't help either that both parties were so quick to retaliate when things clearly weren't making sense in the responses on either side.

I said it was a dying hobby and got abused for no reason. Got called names for no reason.

Mike.

I said it was a dying hobby and got abused for no reason. Got called names for no reason.

Mike.
I actually understand why someone might be set off by that if someone has had their hobby ragged on a lot in the past which from the sound of it is at least partially the case. What I don't understand is how autism has anything to do with it. Maybe someone in the past said to him that film photography required too much finesse for an autistic child and to just stick to digital photos? I could see that happening and it's the only thing that would explain why the OP reacted the way he did. Maybe next time calmly ask for clarification when someone explodes for seemingly no reason.

Last edited:
As I said, I thought I gave good advice and got called a MORON. It's not his hobby but a historic hobby he's trying to keep alive for his autistic son. All I said was pic a hobby that is not in history. He has a huge chip on his shoulder and sees any advise as criticism. Shame.

Mike.

I would like to thank everyone for the support I have received off line and in emails, truly amazing, my sincere thanks and because iof the kindness shown off the forum.................

In reply to a PM

Yes and I must offer my unreserved apologies.

I am autistic , I have autism and comorbid adhd and am 62

I over rectade and really should simply have ignored it.

I am sorry to EVERYONE concerned also to the person who posted and I was wrongly aggressive

I would like to thank everyone for the support I have received off line and in emails, truly amazing, my sincere thanks and because iof the kindness shown off the forum.................

In reply to a PM

Yes and I must offer my unreserved apologies.

I am autistic , I have autism and comorbid adhd and am 62

I over rectade and really should simply have ignored it.

I am sorry to EVERYONE concerned also to the person who posted and I was wrongly aggressive

No worries man. I have no diagnosed issues and I am aggressive on a regular basis. People are more resilient than you think - mostly because they deserve the aggression and they know it.

Get him into a more modern hobby. Why live in the past?

Mike.

Have you seen a MODERN PCB Manufacturing plant lately? - they use very standard photographic processes for the photo-resist to mask the copper AND to make the silkscreens. Even the semiconductor masks are still using photo methods. You wouldn't have your iPhone or Galaxy without photo.

So, are you living in some post-Modern future state or ...?

So, are you living in some post-Modern future state or ...?
Although now out of bankruptcy, Kodak is a good indicator of why chemical based photography is rapidly being assigned to the history books.

Mike.

Although now out of bankruptcy, Kodak is a good indicator of why chemical based photography is rapidly being assigned to the history books.

Mike.

Ah, if bankruptcy is the canary in the coal mine, then the bankruptcy of countless internet companies and electric vehicle startups surely must mean they are a thing of the past.

You should watch the documentary "Inside the Storm: Lessons from the Boardroom" about Kodak (episode 1) and then you'll understand.

Mike.

It is not a reason to not learn about photography.
If everyone gets the same life experience, then nobody has the unique experience that makes one person stand out from the crowd.

One day, this autistic kid is going to be the only one who realizes a simple optical solution exist to solve a problem when everyone else is trying to use software. He'll make a fortune and he and his dad will live happily ever after.

I know a young guy that leaned how to knit when he was young - talk about an ancient art. He invented a cable-handling system for powered gantries (3D printers and such) because he thought of rope a bit differently than everyone else on the team.

If his dad knows about photography then photography suddenly makes a fabulous hobby because they can do it together. Could you please explain how "something modern" hobbies like playing candy crush, vaping, or on-line poker are better than photography?

like playing candy crush, vaping, or on-line poker are better than photography?
Don't be ridiculous - or is that really your idea of a modern hobby? As the OP is asking on an Electronics forum about a timer then maybe taking an interest in electronics might be an idea. Anyway, I'm done with this inane discussion.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back