Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Autistic son needs an enlarger timer - advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wrong with old style chemical photography.
I used to love it when good prints came back from pictures taken on Kodachrome with an SLR camera, nice pictures, easy on the eye.

For all my photographic needs today I use a digital SLR. Would I go back to the old way? No.
But I would not deny anyone who did want to use those techniques, for whatever reason.

Similarly, for daily transport the obvious choice would be a modern car designed and built in the past five years.
But for fun at the weekend, why not an old 1960s sports car.

Horses for courses.

JimB

I imagine that as chemical photography declines, chemicals, paper, equipment etc will be seen as more specialized and therefore more expensive. As illustrated by the price of the timer in the top post.

Mike.

However he needs a timer that plugs into the mains with an outlet that goes to the enlarger allowing him to select seconds/minutes press start and the timer switches the enlarger on/off

He can't afford one from ebay, way too expensive.

and the old ones are obviously unsafe after 30-40 years

ANY advice would be appreciated

If you want to try to build your own darkroom timer, there are many designs online and a bunch use an Arduino or something similar... this one is quite a work of art https://www.diyphotography.net/maya-is-the-only-darkroom-timer-youll-ever-need/

If not, then you are going to have to scour around for a used one - right? Flea Markets, photography clubs, thrift shops - all those places. Many have been discarded and just because it is old does not, necessarily, mean it is unsafe.

Otherwise, consider going "manual" with one of these https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/90328-REG/Paterson_PTP800_Triple_Darkroom_Timer.html

Don't be ridiculous - or is that really your idea of a modern hobby? As the OP is asking on an Electronics forum about a timer then maybe taking an interest in electronics might be an idea. Anyway, I'm done with this inane discussion.

Mike.

Electronics is only a few years more recent than photography on the timeline of history. What makes Electronics a "modern hobby"?

As I said, I'm done with this inane conversation.

Mike.

Inane? You are the one that declared photography an unworthy hobby yet give stupid reasons why you make such an inane claim. I think the ETO members need to hear a valid reason or withdraw the claim.

Inane? You are the one that declared photography an unworthy hobby yet give stupid reasons why you make such an inane claim. I think the ETO members need to hear a valid reason or withdraw the claim.
No I didn't and when did you become spokesperson for the forum? Last time I checked you were driving members away with your inane arguing.

Mike.

No I didn't and when did you become spokesperson for the forum? Last time I checked you were driving members away with your inane arguing.

Mike.

Driving members away? Like a dad with an autistic child who wants to learn photography?

It is not a reason to not learn about photography.
If everyone gets the same life experience, then nobody has the unique experience that makes one person stand out from the crowd.

One day, this autistic kid is going to be the only one who realizes a simple optical solution exist to solve a problem when everyone else is trying to use software. He'll make a fortune and he and his dad will live happily ever after.

I know a young guy that leaned how to knit when he was young - talk about an ancient art. He invented a cable-handling system for powered gantries (3D printers and such) because he thought of rope a bit differently than everyone else on the team.

If his dad knows about photography then photography suddenly makes a fabulous hobby because they can do it together. Could you please explain how "something modern" hobbies like playing candy crush, vaping, or on-line poker are better than photography?

Autism......................... Climate change

It took and AUTISTIC person

Driving members away? Like a dad with an autistic child who wants to learn photography?

Please, he is not worth it, I have received so much support here, I AM autistic with Aspergers and co morbid adhd, please don't get into trouble on my part I am not worth it.

So you still think it's ok to call me a moron?

You're quite right Mike, you don't need anybody to call you names .. .. .. .. you demonstrate your complete lack of understanding and people skills all by yourself.

Leave the guy alone !

You're quite right Mike, you don't need anybody to call you names .. .. .. .. you demonstrate your complete lack of understanding and people skills all by yourself.

Leave the guy alone !
I have not said a thing about the guy, autism or his son!!!!! All I said was that I thought photography was not a modern hobby.

Mike.
Edit, Actually, Can I infer from your post that you also think I'm a moron?

I reopened this thread to give this topic a go.... I really don't need this... Mike... You are probably the same age as this guy.. If I saw this in the street it would be embarrassing… Lets put it to bed...

I really don't need this... Mike... You are probably the same age as this guy.. If I saw this in the street it would be embarrassing… Lets put it to bed...
I agree with Ian, this banter is just embarrassing to see.
Please just knock it on the head and lets get back to sensible discussions.

JimB

and the old ones are obviously unsafe after 30-40 years
I query that statement.

Why should a "well made" timer from 35 years ago be unsafe?
It may not be built to the very latest up to the minute safety standards, but that does not condemn it as "unsafe".

It is more likely that a 5 year old "cheap as chips" timer which has had heavy use and abuse, will be "unsafe".

JimB

I reopened this thread to give this topic a go.... I really don't need this... Mike... You are probably the same age as this guy.. If I saw this in the street it would be embarrassing… Lets put it to bed...
Why am I the bad guy here? I'm not the one who started name calling. The fact the OPs original comment calling me a moron for no reason has been deleted (I assume by a moderator) makes it now look like I'm the bad guy. I'm sorry for the fact I get upset when someone starts calling me names. I will step away from this conversation but reserve the right to reply to any further insults. BTW, with regard to your PM, reopening this topic has not resulted in anyone getting any help on any subject.

Mike.

Why am I the bad guy here? I'm not the one who started name calling. ...

Mike.

I will postpone my bed time to help you...

You were called a moron for insulting someone's choice of hobby. You then proved that the OP's name-calling was more than just name calling - you proved it is an accurate description of what you are - a moron - because you elected to continue arguing against the merits of photography as a hobby instead of apologizing.

You know nothing about the reasons that the hobby is interesting, educational, emotional, memorable or entertaining to this father/son pair - you just insist on talking negatively about it. Keep it up, do what you want. Any additional words will continue to prove your lack of empathy or other social maturity skills at best or that you are just plain mean at worst - and likely a moron either way.

Also unfortunately for future visitors, the thread has been taken off-line to "conversations" and he is getting what he needs without giving you an opportunity to talk negatively of his hobby. Thanks to you, no future visitors to this thread will see an answer to the OPs question.

Does that bring clarity to your question?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back