Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio output match?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

Plan on running audio output from laptop into high impedence amp input. Do I need to add a 10-20 ohm resistor to the laptop output to represent the normal earphone/speaker load?
Or is it ok to run directly into high impedence input?

I was asking if the audio output from the laptop needed a normal speaker load. Would it damage the audio output from the laptop to run into high impedence input.

Thanks, In the past I had used a 10 ohm load resistor, but making another interconnect cable and wanted to leave out the load resistor and go straight to the high impedence input.

If your laptop uses vacuum tubes in its output that feed a matching transformer then it needs a load. If it is solid state then it works even better (lower distortion) with a high impedance load.

If your laptop uses vacuum tubes in its output that feed a matching transformer then it needs a load. If it is solid state then it works even better (lower distortion) with a high impedance load.

ok, I am from the tube era, but my laptop isn't:D
thanks

If your laptop uses vacuum tubes in its output that feed a matching transformer then it needs a load.
You know, I thought a tube used in a computer sound card would be just crazy enough, so I googled it. You can get one for your desktop. :rolleyes:
A Tube Soundcard: YES! - The T-T computer: tubes and transistors - Softpedia

Upper left corner:
ak79gtube-jpg.33128

Attachments

• ak79gtube.jpg
    ak79gtube.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:
Some people like the distortion caused by a vacuum tube amplifier and its lack of damping of a speaker's resonances.

Plan on running audio output from laptop into high impedence amp input. Do I need to add a 10-20 ohm resistor to the laptop output to represent the normal earphone/speaker load?
Or is it ok to run directly into high impedence input?

Perfectly OK, it's how it's designed to be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back