Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio Mixer Help Needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
How can I mix the line-level audio from an XBox with the speaker-level audio from a PC and send them both to the same set of powered speakers? I would like to play computer music files while I play XBox games. The problem is the sound card in the PC doesn't have a line-level output and the XBox doesn't have speaker-level out. Every time I turn the PC on it completely swamps the XBox. I tried using a simple resistor divider network, but it didn't work either. Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks.

i got lucky and found a tandy mmx-100 home audio amp/mixer. what you are trying to do is step down the audio volume on the pc, and step up the volume on the x-box. you need an amp, ill see if i can find the schematic for my mmx.

Hi,
Your MMX-100 amp idea is a good one but not for me. I'd have to make about 12 of them for a volunteer summer-school computer class for mentally-disabled kids. No way could I afford that.
These kids get bored real fast, so to keep some kind of order, we let them play games, too. That's what the XBoxes are for.
I sure appreciate the feedback, though. Thanks.

I can't see why you can't drop the volume of the pc, using the resistor divider... Maybe you just need bigger/different resistors...?

Maybe try the other approach - amp up the xbox? Just using a normal audio amp...

or myabe use a combination of both?

grrr_arrghh said:
I can't see why you can't drop the volume of the pc, using the resistor divider... Maybe you just need bigger/different resistors...?

Yes, all you need is suitable value resistors, two will do (relying on the input impedance of your amplifier to make a potential divider). Or you could use a third resistor down to ground, in which case the input impedance wouldn't matter too much.

To work out the values you would need to know the output levels of both units, and the input impedance of the amplifier. Or you could find them experimentally - for a possible start try 10K from the line output, 100K from the speaker output, and 10K down to ground - with the junction of all three resistors connected to the input of the amplifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back