1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

ATOM Diy module

Discussion in 'Electronic Projects Design/Ideas/Reviews' started by debe, Oct 13, 2014.

1. KeepItSimpleStupid

KeepItSimpleStupid Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

Here's http://pickersyard.weebly.com/atom-universal-electronic-ignition-module.html a good reference to add to this thread. It does contain the module colors that were available.

Some differences are obvious. excessive RPM (chain saws) option and an easy start option, fixed timing, high speed)

Thanks for trying that transistor. I THINK I mentioned it in this thread long ago as a better choice.

I bought two from Oregon. I've installed one and want to put another in an ancient Tecumseh snowthrower. Tecumseh did make an electronic ignition module for it, but you had to change the timing with an insert in the flywheel.

2. tysman

tysman Member

i do have a nova module that im gonna take apart wanna see how there made

3. tysman

tysman Member

With Nova Module installed better spark so I'm dealing with timing issue I bet

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. tysman

tysman Member

It just doesn't like the pheleon flywheels with the tighter magnet gap it works fine on the wico flywheels they have medium gap and usually came on saws with blue electronic ignition. Or I need schematic for orange module works with go kart engines 18,000rpm +

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  6. tysman

tysman Member

These modules don't work I hate to say it the engine will run just no full throttle so far only had success with 1 saw out of 3

7. tysman

tysman Member

Tried red module seems to be better

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  8. debe

debe Active Member

The circuit I originaly posted is the Red Atom module.

9. tysman

tysman Member

That works with saws? I tried it it seamed better rpm but then coil died in saw could module kill coil or did my coil just die due to old age saw started and reved then wouldn't idle for long then died then after few tries no spark at all till I swapped coil now runs good on points again

10. debe

debe Active Member

Theres no way a module or points are going to kill a coil. Cranking an engine with out a spark plug or a spark gap, will damage a coil. Or just old age.

11. tysman

tysman Member

OK was thinking maybe my switch might of sent some feed back. Cause when I turn off engine and switch from points to Module maybe there's a charge built up and sends back to coil the switch I used is an ON/ON DPDT, coil is in middle of switch

12. tysman

tysman Member

i took apart a Nova module not much in there an SCR and a IC which is for timing is my guess and a diode and 3 leg tranistor but all this stuff is small smd parts on a board

13. tysman

tysman Member

i wish you had schematic for orange module i need timing advanced. it has to do with either gap in flywheel to tight or width of magnet in coil i didnt have original magnet for black coil i bought so used the narrow magnet that came with blue coil that burnt out and had success with that 1 saw with brown module maybe magnet was key. i do have another magnet from a blue coil that i will try in my other saw see if thats the key or if its flywheel gap

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  14. tysman

tysman Member

So I put blue coil magnet next to stock black coil magnet there's difference on where the flywheel will start on its rotation. And its a difference of half inch or so and blue coil magnet is square at one end instead of rectangular. Will try it out when new coil comes

15. KeepItSimpleStupid

KeepItSimpleStupid Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

On a snowblower that I have, it can be converted to electronic ignition by Tecumseh, but I'm not sure it's available anymore. I do have the flywheel insert that changes the timing. I plan to put a Stens module in there. I might have to try both. I have to replace the throttle control first. I need to sand paint the used one.

16. tysman

tysman Member

the stens module works make sure its mounted somewhere where can get cooled by a flywheel and gets good ground use heat compound to disipate heat they get really hot. funny thing is went to a service depot to pickup a oregon module since atom wont give rpm needed cause its an xl76 58cc saw, and she says the best module was Atom brown but cant get them anymore, ironic that is what im building lol

17. debe

debe Active Member

This is the Brown module. A.7.JPG A.8.JPG ATOM%20IGN%20mod.JPG ATOM MOD brown circ.jpg

18. tysman

tysman Member

thanks, anyway to get orange module schematic?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  19. tysman

tysman Member

so far so good used magnet from blue prestolite coil in my black coil didnt change flywheel it works on points revs up nicely so if i get my top end on saw with brown module thats the key is that magnet to use. if you dont use magnet and just use stock one your black coil came with the saw will run just no rpm it goes to certain point and thats it so cant cut wood like that. obviously other saws will probably work better and not have to change anything just add module so maybe homelites are the finiky ones