Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ASCII Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

I want to send an 8bit value (0 to 255) from PC to PIC UART.

I use VB 6.0 to send that values.I have a decoding problem at PIC UART side.

If I send D'1' then PIC will receive it as D'49'.

What about If I send D'30' what value will I receive from PIC side?

What about If I send D'129' what value will I receive from PIC side?

Last edited:
Try sending 0x01 and if that doesn't work then post example Pic and VB code. You're somehow sending the ascii value for 1 which is 0x31 or decimal 49.

Mike.

I want to send an 8bit value (0 to 255) from PC to PIC UART.

I use VB 6.0 to send that values.I have a decoding problem at PIC UART side.

What about If I send D'129' what value will I receive from PIC side?

You need to read the helpfile for your assembler/compiler - to check what it sends - but commonly placing quote marks around a figure (like '1') instructs it to send the ASCII character inside the quotes (which is what you appear to be getting).

But D'129' etc. doesn't really make much sense - D is trying to send a decimal numeric value, and the quotes are trying to send an ASCII character.

Hi thanks for your info.

This is what I want to do.I have many slaves connected to two wire bus.I'm giving commands through a PC.
Ex: Turn ON relay 4 on slave 2.

The attachment shows the frame I'm using.In simply its a MODBUS frame.

Earlier I planned to use a binary format frame but when PC sends commands the frame data goes to all slaves so it is unable to detect the start & end of a frame.

So I planned to use ASCII format frame.The problem is when using ASCII to show a single byte it needs to send as two ASCII characters so the frame length will be doubled.

Any ideas on my protocol structure?

Attachments

• Frame Sructure.PNG
    Frame Sructure.PNG
    5.4 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
The attachment shows the frame I'm using.In simply its a MODBUS frame.
It doesn't look like a modbus frame. If it was ASCII, it's missing a leading ":" and a trailing linefeed (vbLf). If it's binary/RTU then it has an unwanted trailing 0x0D.

Earlier I planned to use a binary format frame but when PC sends commands the frame data goes to all slaves so it is unable to detect the start & end of a frame.

So I planned to use ASCII format frame.The problem is when using ASCII to show a single byte it needs to send as two ASCII characters so the frame length will be doubled
The ASCII modbus and the RTU/binary modbus frames both have the same information content (which includes the device address).

It seems you are not sending D'1' but "1" - e.g. The VB6 code should look something like (assuming you're using the MSCOmm control):
Code:
MSComm1.output = chr(1)      'correct: this will send D'1'
and not
Code:
MSComm1.output = "1"     ' WRONG - this will send D'49'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back