Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ASCII £ Oshonsoft

camerart

Hi,
I use Ascii characters in my PIC programs, usually a $.
As a difference I decided to use a £ instead, but it shows as a backwards capital L. Does anyone know why?
Cheers, Camerart

ASCII is a 7 bit protocol that doesn't support £ or €. You may be able to specify different encoding in Oshonsoft and whatever display device you're using.

Good ASCII & Encoding reference

where are you using it? if its in the program "ALT 156" will get you there ( Hold ALT when entering the code) If you are sending it via serial, use any other. I use Tilde ~ as its very obscure and its one of the 128 characters. 126 in fact..

where are you using it? if its in the program "ALT 156" will get you there ( Hold ALT when entering the code) If you are sending it via serial, use any other. I use Tilde ~ as its very obscure and its one of the 128 characters. 126 in fact..
Hi I,
I've used 'ALT 176' for DEG, in the past, quite useful. I'm not sure if I can use this method with Oshonsoft, but I'll try as an experiment.
C

If you are seeing it at the PC, I'd guess the "non unicode" programs language is not set to UK?

On the PC, go to settings, search for Language, go to "Language settings" then down to "Administrative language settings".

The "Language for non-Unicode programs" is probably used as the default for a simple terminal program?

Changing that would change the system display character set for every program.

Hi N,
The PIC outputs serial sentence via radio to the computer with a terminal output on screen
C
You have two 'issues' then, what your terminal is doing (how it's set 7 bit, 8 bit, font used etc.), and what the program you're using to write the PIC code is doing. With the terminal program set correctly, and the PIC side written correctly, there's no issue displaying £ symbols.

I wouldn't consider using anything other than 8N1 for the serial link, which is fairly universal, and the default for most things.

Hi J and N,
I looked at the terminal only and here is one drop down, showing the '£':

As I'm using an alternative, I won't fix it, but I now know why it isn't showing £.
Thanks.
C

Attachments

• UTF-8.jpg
    UTF-8.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 98
The ANSII set was created in A.N.OTHER country. if you view the whole 256 characters (just google them ) you can see what's available. But! to keep everything "working" just stick to the original 127 characters.
That way you will not need any extra encoding.

The ANSII set was created in A.N.OTHER country. if you view the whole 256 characters (just google them ) you can see what's available. But! to keep everything "working" just stick to the original 127 characters.
That way you will not need any extra encoding.
Hi I,
I have the list os Acii chars, and I refer to it all of the time.
127 is enough, thanks.
C

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back