Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone up for a spring contest here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purpose for a vote. Electromaster can create the vote of the best objective. We can have a time eliminated. Vote Pol.

Of course after some discussion?

Electronics work bench test device.
Accessory to a common electronics tool or device.
AE related device or control system.
Practical automotive device or modification.
Modified home appliance/device. (uC controlled multi function washer/dryer or similar.)
Modified or customized shop tool/device. (uC controlled welder conversion or similar.)

Do I have a Here, here?

Or at least top 3 or 4.

kv

It seems like we do have some interest in the competition so far. I was hoping that by having the choice for what to do open to everyone ahead of time there would be something like what we are getting now.:)

Here is the basic run down of other ideas up to this point.

Brian1 suggested a PIC project.
Ghostma11 suggested scope add ons.
Boncuk suggested a function generator.
Scaidwain suggested using mostly recycled parts.
WannaBinventor suggested just being creative.
Ben7 suggested DIY o-scope.

I think this is a good selection of ideas to work with myself and would be willing to have some sort of voting done any time soon.

Last edited:
My $.02s worth:

Please do not restrict the contet to a uP project. To many members do not know how to program (I myself think that software is a fad and it will go away).

Have different levels, especially invite beginners, students and noobs (we need "Nachschub")!

Also, as 2nd prise for the contest I have a Weller WTCPT soldering station (c/w iron + plus spare tips and solder) available ($25 to US, $15 in Canada, FOB Vancouver, BC, check payable to my local SPCA) and maybe a second one as 3rd prise (I need to check the storage-room).

And (I did not read all the posts, so the answer may be there): who will do the judging?

Cheers, E

Last edited:
My $.02s worth:

Please do not restrict the contet to a uP project. To many members do not know how to program (I myself think that software is a fad and it will go away).

Have different levels, especially invite beginners, students and noobs (we need "Nachschub")!

Also, as 2nd prise for the contest I have a Weller WTCPT soldering station (c/w iron + plus spare tips and solder) available ($25 to US, $15 in Canada, FOB Vancouver, BC, check payable to my local SPCA) and maybe a second one as 3rd prise (I need to check the storage-room).

And (I did not read all the posts, so the answer may be there): who will do the judging?

Cheers, E

I like this idea... :)

So what would you guys think would be a challenging and still useful project that is analog based? I think that something that just carries the WOW factor a valid entry regardless of it contorl system.

If its up to me in any way I would let anybody enter anything and let everyone else make the judgment by vote as to who wins. Its the best way I can see to make this open to all skill levels and the final judgment are also ultimately done by every one and not just a few people.

Electromaster asked me for a list of possible ideas for everyone to vote on so if you have something please bring it up! If its up to me I have no problem with it not having any programing related stuff if its complex enough and useful enough.

2nd prise for the contest I have a Weller WTCPT soldering station (c/w iron + plus spare tips and solder)

Nice prize for second place. :)

So what does everyone else think about an open to all build what you can and be judged by everyone else contest? I am open to the idea!

So what would you guys think would be a challenging and still useful project that is analog based? I think that something that just carries the WOW factor a valid entry regardless of it contorl system.

If its up to me in any way I would let anybody enter anything and let everyone else make the judgment by vote as to who wins. Its the best way I can see to make this open to all skill levels and the final judgment are also ultimately done by every one and not just a few people.

Electromaster asked me for a list of possible ideas for everyone to vote on so if you have something please bring it up! If its up to me I have no problem with it not having any programing related stuff if its complex enough and useful enough.

So what does everyone else think about an open to all build what you can and be judged by everyone else contest? I am open to the idea!

Yes, I like the idea that they perform under their own, talent e.g. capability and access to parts and other.

Edit: It opens the door to anyone and Everyone. They may not even want a scope ? Maybe they want to compete.

Yes, and Yes.

kv

Last edited:

That sounds good to me :)

I'd lean more towards a panel of judges, free for all judging in the masses can be pretty bad.

You only need three or four judges, but they have to come from very different viewpoints.

Last edited:
What I was thinking on the open to all aspect of judging is that each person who chooses to participate in voting has to pick their choice of 1 2 3 and 4th places plus being the voting thing here only lets you vote once as I understand it it would give the best breakdown of vote numbers to each person.
Being that every 1st place vote is worth 4 points, 2nd place is 3 points, 3rd is 2 points, and every 4th is 1 point doing a multi point vote breakdown means that everyone who participates has to look at and rate every entry and judge it appropriately thus making it harder to for anyone to play singles and or favorites.
At the end the prizes still get awarded too who has the most points but it creates a somewhat more fair judgment method opposed to a one person one vote count.

I personally don't like the panel of judges voting method simply due to subconscious or conscious favoritism and personal preference biasing their vote or that it can be perceived as being there by those who can't vote.
By making it so that everyone who wants to vote can and has to pick four places they largely eliminate the potential bias factors associated with a small panel of judges.
My reasoning for this is mainly because of how many times all of us have seen a competition where a small group of judges picked a third rate hack they where buddies with over an outstanding nobody they didn't like but the spectators and crowd did.

I am just trying to play this as openly and fair as I can because as we all know there are a few here who could invent a machine that turns water into gold and some still wouldn't give them any votes.
The point behind this type of voting is that although one person may not give that person a vote due to personal bias they still have to pick four others and give them votes or else they don't count as a voter which means they have to play fair in one fashion or another regardless of any bias toward one person.

Last edited:
I'd lean more towards a panel of judges, free for all judging in the masses can be pretty bad.

You only need three or four judges, but they have to come from very different viewpoints.

I personally don't like the panel of judges voting method simply due to subconscious or conscious favoritism and personal preference

Ok, have the Panel of Judges and include a Popular Vote. That would give a balance of both. No, contest has ever been viewed as fair anyways. Someone will always disagree.

Last edited:
I, personally, would prefer tcmtech's point system, that allows everyone to judge everyone. I think that would be the fairest way to go.

The goal should be to motivate as many participants as possible.

Limiting the materials or methods will restrict the people who can or will enter.

Rather then assign prizes to places I suggest we allow the first place person to have 1st prick from a prize pool. Second place 2nd pick. etc.

In the past each moderator had one vote. In conjunction with that we held a pole which counted as one vote.

The goal should be to motivate as many participants as possible.

Limiting the materials or methods will restrict the people who can or will enter.

Rather then assign prizes to places I suggest we allow the first place person to have 1st prick from a prize pool. Second place 2nd pick. etc.

In the past each moderator had one vote. In conjunction with that we held a pole which counted as one vote.

interesting points 3v0, i thought i would add a comment as to how i see it. i like the idea of points for judging like has been mentioned 4 for first etc etc. i also think moderators voting is a good idea, when all is said and done the mods do alot of work behind the scenes to keep this place the way it is! they do a great job with little thanks at times and do it for the love of doing it. I think it is unfair to sugest they wouldnt be honest and fair, if you then give each entrant a vote via a poll then i see no reason why you wouldnt get a accurate and fair placement of winners.
as for the winner choosing the prize and then runner up etc i think that is by far the best way to do it! anyway thats my view point, one last thing tho its getting to the point when decissions need to be made or enthusiasm will wane

i also think moderators voting is a good idea, when all is said and done the mods do alot of work behind the scenes to keep this place the way it is! they do a great job with little thanks at times and do it for the love of doing it. I think it is unfair to sugest they wouldn't be honest and fair

Not to pick at open sores but I was trying to steer away from the moderators doing the judging. Not to be rude to them but there are quite a number of members here who have strong feelings that the mods are less than fair and unbiased in how they handle or interpret the rules and go about their judgment actions as is.
More suspicions of biased favoritism relating to the contest judging could cause more sore spots on this site. For a number of people here just knowing who the judges are would be enough for them to either give up on entering or to choose to enter something. I for one am in that group.

Ultimately I have little say in this contest other than I am donating a prize but my personal preference is to have the contest open to everyone and anything and be judged by everyone who wishes to judge it. Its very difficult to accuse a world wide panel of random judges of favoritism or equally biased decision making for or against anyone.

Last edited:
i cant comment on things past as i stay out of spates where i can so i dont realy know anything about past politics here on the site. maybe then it would be better to open judgeing to say members (all members includeing mods etc) who have been members for say six months or more, and those who enter.
personaly i realy think that for competitions the past should be set aside but i do also think that those donateing prizes etc should get a say, of course as EM is paying the scope postage then he is also right to vote.
or how about voteing rights for say forum supporters as surely they have been good enough to keep the site going for the benifit of all, at this point i am now saying no more on voteing or who should do what. my intention is just to join in and have some fun

i have just had a thought. i have no idea if its will be of help but one possiable way to avoid any unplesentness regarding voteing would be to submit entries anonomously. that way you could have mods and say entrants and or forrum supporters vote with guranteed unbiased opinions. if it would help i could cobble a page on my website for people to enter the competition as long as people enter under diff names or just numbers then the voting etc could take place on here with noone knowing who had entered what.
its just an idea born out of a desire for this not to descend into a argument.

I don't think EM would have any trouble setting up the voting system to do it anonymously being all the vote related things in the past have been done that way anyway. Nobody needs to know who voted for whom they just need to see how many votes each project got in the end.

I like the being a member for X amount of time aspect too. Its not impossible that someone would create a bunch of different member identities here just to swing a vote in their favor.
God knows how many debates I have gotten into and had some looser coward create a new member name for themselves just to send me a nasty PM about what I said in a thread. Getting a butt chewing PM from a zero post member on a specific subject is sort of obvious really but hey it's a reason enough for me to believe someone would go to those lengths to win as well.

I also like the first choice prize pick concept as well. If I entered and came in first obviously I would not want the O-scope but another good soldering gun would be nice! :)

i have just had a thought. i have no idea if its will be of help but one possiable way to avoid any unplesentness regarding voteing would be to submit entries anonomously. that way you could have mods and say entrants and or forrum supporters vote with guranteed unbiased opinions. if it would help i could cobble a page on my website for people to enter the competition as long as people enter under diff names or just numbers then the voting etc could take place on here with noone knowing who had entered what.
its just an idea born out of a desire for this not to descend into a argument.

This is a good idea, though there is one thing I would like to make sure of--that is that there are still going to be categories that range from newbies to experts. This would be best, because some people have less experience, so their project may be more extraordinary than others in that category, but simple for the experts. Each entry should be submitted anonymously, but their skill level should be specified so that they may be placed in the correct category. Does this make sense?

Better then 99% of site members never come close to getting an infraction.

The same people bend or break the same rules over and over again.. I think I can safely say that none of the moderators want to spend the time to hunt down which habitual offenders tossed the first stone. It takes at least two to fight. If you don't want an avalanche stop yodeling in the mountains.

The fact that they are still here to ***** about it illustrates how tolerant ETO moderation is.

Better then 99% of site members never come close to getting an infraction.

The same people bend or break the same rules over and over again.. I think I can safely say that none of the moderators want to spend the time to hunt down which habitual offenders tossed the first stone. It takes at least two to fight. If you don't want an avalanche stop yodeling in the mountains.

The fact that they are still here to ***** about it illustrates how tolerant ETO moderation is.

I'm sorry... Who is this directed toward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back