Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone up for a spring contest here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a recycling contest?
More than half of all the electronics components I have are all rendered down from recycled devices, it'd be a neat way to see who could come up with applications for that kind of stuff. Call it an electronic version of McGuyver =)

Me too! There are a lot of stuff like that, I seen a guy in Romania who took the tops off of some old Metal Transistors and turned them into a solar array.

Really crafty I would say. I can't remember what voltage he got but, it was interesting.

Edit: And check this guy out when saying " McGuyve "

McGuyver Downunder

Last edited:
I guess you could tell I was funneling the idea from Brian. Hea,hea

Still a good one though.

Oh sure, to PIC or not to PIC that is the question. :)

Ron

More than half of all the electronics components I have are all rendered down from recycled devices, it'd be a neat way to see who could come up with applications for that kind of stuff. Call it an electronic version of McGuyver =)

So have rendered down anything to cover that $20 you still owe me for your free O-scopes shipping plus the goodie box that went with it? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness I do like the recycled component concept. Thats largely what my GTI design writeups are based on and geared toward just the pure recycled junk doing something uncommon yet useful aspect. Well that and the opportunity to thumb my nose at everyone who said it was impossible to make one based on an all analog design.:D

I am just not sure how a uC can be pulled out of old random stuff and reprogrammed though. Whomever teaches me that one may very well get a free something or other!
I started out years ago trying to salvage old PLC and PLR units from industrial stuff but the software was always a problem. For me thats where the Teco commercial PLR stuff I use came in being they have free software online.

Relating to actual costs in the earlier post I pointed out that everything can be done on a simulated input and output system using only basic variable voltage inputs and fixed on/off outputs so that way there is actually no expensive hall effect sensors or other components required unless the person did want to go full tilt and build a fully functional GTI unit. Then the cost would be entirely limited by what they chose to invest in it.

In the how it works write up the person would just have to say that they intended to use such and such component that produces an output signal of whatever and that is being simulated by X voltage on input Z.
For instance. I needed to read a DC current of up to 75 amps so I chose an Electrotech brand Hall effect device that produces a linear output voltage of 0 - 5 volts for its 0 - 100 amp input. This signal is then fed into input Z on pin 18 of my XYZ uC chip. Being the real Hall effect device costs around $100 I am presently just simulating its signal with a simple 5K pot that allows me to vary the Z input from 0 - 5 volts for testing purposes.

Thats my thoughts.

Hi tcmtech,

here's my project, which I want to publish open source.

It's a DDS function generator (square, triangle and sine wave, the latter amplitude and offset adjustable) using an ATMega644, an AD9834 and a 12-bit DAC AD5620 for FSK, FM-frequency and binary AM modulation and an USB interface to control the whole thing via PC, besides local control via menu.

Display will be a 20X4 char LCD.

Max frequency of the AD9834 is 75MHz, but since I can't find a suitable crystal oscillator TTL compatible (5V) I'll probably overclock the device using an 80MHz oscillator and a proper heat sink on the chip.

Your scope would come in handy for me since mine is limited to 10MHz. (Unitrend UT81B).

Two prototype boards will be tested, one in Germany and the other one here in Thailand for optimum performance.

First results will be available in March.

(Anyone able to program Visual basic is welcome to participate in the project.)

Regards

Boncuk

P.S. Here is the initial PCB design

Attachments

• DDS-FUNCTION-GEN.gif
    DDS-FUNCTION-GEN.gif
    47.3 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
How about a recycling contest? You'd have to limit it to simple things, say 5 items, create a device list, such as PC's, radio's, TV's, cell phones... Whatever. All must be in non working condition for the project, the only allowable external materials would be board to wire things up on and solder, or something to that effect.

Some variation on that, a fixed set of components that are allowed and see who can come up with the most useful device with those components would be another way to go. The usefulness would have to be determined by a panel of judges.

I'm the same way. About 98% of the components I have were taken from these types of items.
At the moment, I'm working on a Tesla Coil that uses mainly recycled materials. All it really needs is a capacitor, which I've been trying to find and/or make for the past three years...
Anyway, you've got my vote for the recycling contest! :D
Der Strom

So how about this.. Asing a start date and an end date that users can solicate people they know for devices, at the end of some set period they have to stop and only use the devices they've collected to create something. Obviously this would have to be honor code for acquisition, but something along those lines appeals to me, as a possible contestant or a judge.

I'm the same way. About 98% of the components I have were taken from these types of items.
At the moment, I'm working on a Tesla Coil that uses mainly recycled materials. All it really needs is a capacitor, which I've been trying to find and/or make for the past three years...
Anyway, you've got my vote for the recycling contest! :D
Der Strom

Post the spec on the Cap I'll look for it. As we have many Sales here at the University and competing one nearby. PM me. Good luck!

Here's my two cents on it:

You would get more people to participate if you broadened the scope.

Don't restrict it to PIC or AVR or 555s or junk electronics.

Just come up with some criteria by which it will be judged:
Creativity, innovation, "cool" factor, "skill showmanship" factor, design efficiency (IE: using the hardware in an efficient way though things like multiplexing, etc).

That way you might have a guy that builds a giant wall clock using just logic gates which is low on design efficiency but huge on skill showmanship and cool factor, going against a guy who uses a PIC and other devices to sense his dog at the door and open the doggie door which is high on creativity and innovation.

See what I'm getting at?

Hi tcmtech,

here's my project, which I want to publish open source.

It's a DDS function generator (square, triangle and sine wave, the latter amplitude and offset adjustable) using an ATMega644, an AD9834 and a 12-bit DAC AD5620 for FSK, FM-frequency and binary AM modulation and an USB interface to control the whole thing via PC, besides local control via menu.

Display will be a 20X4 char LCD.

Max frequency of the AD9834 is 75MHz, but since I can't find a suitable crystal oscillator TTL compatible (5V) I'll probably overclock the device using an 80MHz oscillator and a proper heat sink on the chip.

Your scope would come in handy for me since mine is limited to 10MHz. (Unitrend UT81B).

Two prototype boards will be tested, one in Germany and the other one here in Thailand for optimum performance.

First results will be available in March.

(Anyone able to program Visual basic is welcome to participate in the project.)

Regards

Boncuk

P.S. Here is the initial PCB design

WOW Boncuk that is very complex! :D

On the other hand, what about building a o-scope?
That would be interesting. I have a small CRT tube that I kept from a teensy TV, and I still have the flyback for it too.
I don't have a clue how to run it though. :(
(Besides making HV with the flyback :p)

-Ben

Last edited:
No problem I liked the diversion. Funny read.

kv

Edit: It's TCM who will have to make a decision anyways.

As far as my preferences go I would like it to be some sort of multiple analog input circuit that converts those signals to digital and gives some level of control over something on its outputs or produces some sort of digital readout but in no way does it have to be tied to my GTI work though.

I also like the idea of having a fair percentage of the components coming from recycled devices even if they are just capacitors, resistors, and other basic components.

One example of a multi signal input and output control system I made is that my boiler control system is all digital and run from a standard Teco PLR unit. What is unique about that is it could be also be done on a custom uC of some sort as well.

Here are the basics of what it handles.
-----------------------------------------------------
One temperature sensor.

Four input switches. Two draft fans with on/off/auto and two pumps with on/auto

One momentary push button for automatic start.

Two zone call for heat inputs that tell the pumps to come on unless the boiler temp is below 100F.

Four relay outputs for the two fans and two pumps.

One alarm output.

One four line 16 character display that gives the three temps and can be toggled to also tell what inputs and outputs are on.

All other functions are handled in the program and can be customized at any time relating to what is done with the information that is coming from the assorted input signals.
-----------------------------------------------------

Its just an idea but above all i would really like this to be a contest that allows for a wide range of different concepts relating to any number of things so that we can get the most people to participate. I just don't want this to end up being a competition that ends up with only one or two people in it.

So far I like Boncuks signal generator idea being it does relate to being something that goes very well with a oscilloscope and can be done with analog and digital circuitry mixed together while possibly using some reycled parts in the design as well.

Last edited:
I do believe the Gauntlet has been thrown.

Comments, Please.

kv

I do believe the Gauntlet has been thrown.

Well I wouldn't call it thrown down.:eek:
Maybe clumsily knocked off the table? :D

But yes more seriously I would personally like to see the entries have a combination of recycled components, analog and digital circuits mixed together to do a practical function or application, and preferably be of a reasonable level of usefulness to the point that others will take an interest in possibly using or expanding on the design.

I think that allowing multi topic or multi discipline entry's would be good so that not everyone is tied down to one single contest topic that they may not have any personal interest or use for such as,

Electronics work bench test device.
Accessory to a common electronics tool or device.
AE related device or control system.
Practical automotive device or modification.
Modified home appliance/device. (uC controlled multi function washer/dryer or similar.)
Modified or customized shop tool/device. (uC controlled welder conversion or similar.)

Judgment wise I would just let everyone vote on what entry they think is most practical and best presented. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back