Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone up for a spring contest here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya, I think they wanted a later date so that everyone could participate. Lots of hungry student's may want to try their hand at it?

Basically anyone can start any time they want but the tentative end date at the moment is June 20. However that can be moved later still if it becomes a big enough concern for enough people.

This is a first attempt an open to all type friendly competition so if there are enough entries and what not there may be sub category's added or expanded on at a later time.

Even if you don't have an entry you can still sponsor a donated prize too! :)

Unfortunately I`m already participating in another **broken link removed**(EU region) since December, otherwise I would participate...:)

I would advise that the projects should be judged by which one is more usefull not only which one is more efficient, and/or creative. you can create a device whichis no usefull, but is creative and effective, and interesting, but you use only one time because you have nothing to do with it...

For the contestants I would advise that if this is an open contest, then you shold do something that you can use in case you can`t finish in time, or you don`t win, or something... So create something really useful like me :)
(I`m doing a Code lock as my project, that is more useful even if I can`t win then an interesting complicated toy... :p:D )

Last edited:
I would advise that the projects should be judged by which one is more usefull not only which one is more efficient, and/or creative. you can create a device whichis no usefull, but is creative and effective, and interesting, but you use only one time because you have nothing to do with it...

That is why we should have a few different categories--One for creativity, one for efficiency, and one for usefulness. Maybe more, if there are other ideas.

That is why we should have a few different categories--One for creativity, one for efficiency, and one for usefulness. Maybe more, if there are other ideas.

Not enough prizes to do that...TCM was kind enough to offer one prize, unless things have changed. I will not be entering in the competition but it sounds like a good chance to show off your skils...

Not enough prizes to do that...TCM was kind enough to offer one prize, unless things have changed. I will not be entering in the competition but it sounds like a good chance to show off your skils...

That's a good point. If no one else is willing to donate a prize (one for each category), I really don't think we should narrow it down to a single category, as Warning suggested (no offense). I think the contestants should submit their best pieces of work and let the panel of judges decide which they like best. No categories necessary.

EDIT: I realize this is almost exactly opposite what I just said--I just changed my mind :D

Last edited:
EDIT: I realize this is almost exactly opposite what I just said--I just changed my mind
I guess you will change again reading this...:D

you guys fully misunderstood me...
I think is better if I say my whole point of view about this...

I`m not talking about any categories. I`m talking about objectives what helps you to do something, (anything not just on a contest) and helps the judges to classify your work.
Let`s start whit the beggining, you have the contest, you could have any number/specified number of projects(my point is if you ar doing a more projects, then you can`t do as good as you could do one. The time is equal however other problems can shorten your time.), that you could present, but this way everybody have equal chance becouse only one of your projects will win, but your each projects have 100% of chance if you made it as good as you can.
Until now you have a few objectives to achieve:
efficienty creativity, and I just said one more usefullness.
Every project need to be judged by judges/public/both in case of each objectives. For example

You have a project, and you got
x points for efficienty(For avoiding misunderstandings, I advice that every participants would have to write a specification post/document/whatever... and the judges can clasify about that what is written in it if all features are done and working, then that is 100% efficient and that mean 100 point. The unspecifyed features that are made after shoud be the bonus category, and every project can get a few more point for bonus that should be decided by judges.),
y point for creativity,
z point for usefullness.

If you have got in sum more point then the other, you win.
I mean you win in your category
of course categories are good idea, but that was not what I`m talking about.

If you have got in sum more point then the other, you win.
I mean you win in your category
of course categories are good idea, but that was not what I`m talking about.

Okay, I guess I misunderstood what you were suggesting. I thought you were saying that there should be only one category, which was efficiency/usefulness. I see now that that is not the case. Thank you for your clarification. :)
Der Strom

Regarding prizes and catagories I have a thought:

Essentially, there are three general groups of folks who are active on this forum; the more advanced group with engineering and teaching backgrounds, an intermediate group comprised mostly of students, the more advanced techs and hobbists and a third group consisting of those developing an interest in the field such as vocational students and other hobbists.

I'm thinking participation is key for a meaningful outcome. Those of lesser background skills and/or confidence could be inhibited or discouraged from entering if lumped together with those of all levels of expertise for a particular device category.

What I'm suggesting is a three tiered contest based on the background outlined above. All three tiers would be judged against their peers with the top three in their respective category receiving 1st place awards along with the runner ups in their tier receiving a fitting award. Then the three 1st place winners judged for the grand prize award. That would seem to simplify the number of possible awards while potentially increasing the interest and participation as well as placing entrants on a more level playing field.

Further, I would also suggest that the areas of entry be open to all interests in electronics rather than dividing them into subcategories, but with these exceptions. All designs must be original in nature not something off the net or the classroom whiteboard, they may be a complete system OR a subsystem building block with multiple potential applications and include a brief writeup.

Just a thought here.

Would a Wizards, Hobbits, and Forrest folk sub divisions work? :D

I was going to call the third catigory Pixies but that could be taken wrong. Then I thought trolls but then we already have those here and they really dont need any more numbers added to their ranks.:rolleyes:

tcmtech... feed me, name me!! muwahahaha.

Seriously though I like MRCecil's concept, some classification on current skill level, I think it's mostly going to make judging difficult, but by my way of thinking prizes should most definitely be awarded favoring those that show learning and effort beyond overall project complexity, sliding scale type thing.

tcmtech... feed me, name me!! muwahahaha.

Seriously though I like MRCecil's concept, some classification on current skill level, I think it's mostly going to make judging difficult, but by my way of thinking prizes should most definitely be awarded favoring those that show learning and effort beyond overall project complexity, sliding scale type thing.

Scead, hehehe.

No, seriously if I could even open the door to the competition room. It would require a couple of things they have Learning and effort in the mix. I can think of several people on the site, looking at their profile and some of the outdated post. Many have not been rude and have come a long way in their accomplishments.

But, hey I should win right now cause, I can name a lot of components; that I didn't know then. I also can light an LED:D

Just remember when I first came to the site until now:)

Pleeeeeeeeese.

Hi Guys,
Here's an idea for competition entries, a new section is made in the theory section for entries and each entry is made as an article. This way when people want to see the entries a separate section is there and if the competition will have different sections of entry then sub topics can be created. It has been a couple of months since this thread started so I do think it's time to get going. I will submitting my own entry which will be converting an old toner head out of a laser printer and converting it into a pcb toner transfer tool.

I do think this will be the best way to do the competition so what do you guys think of my proposal.

Regards Bryan

So it's been two and a half months you guys STILL haven't figured out the rules? Man... sounds like a bunch of clucking hens. :D

Last edited:
So it's been two and a half months you guys STILL haven't figured out the rules? Man... sounds like a bunch of clucking hens. :D

Gabe I have stayed out of this until now so the greater membership can have their say, lets see in the next few days whether this comp get up and going or sinks quicker than Japan is under the fault.

Regards Bryan

Gabe I have stayed out of this until now so the greater membership can have their say, lets see in the next few days whether this comp get up and going or sinks quicker than Japan is under the fault.

Regards Bryan

hi Bryan,
Its always the same when trying to decide using a committee on what to do next, I would suggest you draw up and post a Draft set of rules and see what response there is....

I don't know about the rest of the University's but, we will be doing finals for the next 2 weeks. People will then be in summer session. Most will likely take it easy during this semester.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back