Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone up for a spring contest here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
Spring contest ideas needed!

I was curious if anyone would be interested in starting up a new spring contest or would have some ideas for one any way.
I have decided to donate my old Hitachi 40 MHz dual trace O-scope , for the cost of shipping of course, as a prize to the winner if Electromaster agrees to it.

Any thoughts or contest ideas that are used O-scope worthy?

Here is the actual scope. Everything works but it has a chunk missing out of the top right corner and a few knobs are getting scratchy but its still got some life left in it.

DCP02338.JPG

Last edited:
Great idea. I think it should be those of us here who have grown the most. It should be a new person who has been an inspiration to; any or most who have been inspired by their synergistic input.

Some, might not want to participate. So, what you do is give them a chance to respond they may or may not even care about it, with the knowledge that the potential recipient will be responsible to pay the cost of shipping.

The site will judge for the top recipient.

Just my thoughts out loud. Burp!

kv

Why wait until spring? Why not have it now in the Summer?

Joking aside, good idea.

Mike.

i think its a great idea! as for a scope worthy contest........hmm how about a contest to build a useful bit of scope kit a scope addon if you like. i am not saying build a function generator but there must be some fairly useful gadgets people could build for a scope. i have also seen a gadget to turn a scope into a clock!! anyway thats my input :D

I like the scope related add ons idea myself. That would be my preference for a competition. :)

count me and logan in, we will have to be a team effort tho lol his hands my.......erm my...................hmmm ok count logan in :D

I think it is a nice offer on the part of tcmtech and like the idea of tying things together. I will reinvent the octopus yet again. :)

Ron

I have the prize but I am leaving the competition ideas up to everyone else.

I would prefer it be something advanced enough to justify the prize though.
No 555 timers blinking LED's.:p

Perhaps a mixed concept of both digital and analog systems working together for some practical purpose. ;)

after the chat we all had in the chatroom i thought i would post my moddified idea incase it sparked an idea from someone else.. as was pointed out in chat a comp for a Scope gadget might not be pratical for those without a scope so the modified idea was a comp to build some useful or novvel bit of test kit.
i am amazed more people havnt jumped on this comp but then again maybe if it was moved to microcontrollers or general electronics then more people would read it???? just my thoughts (drug induced ones)

i am amazed more people havnt jumped on this comp but then again maybe if it was moved to microcontrollers or general electronics then more people would read it???? just my thoughts (drug induced ones)

If Electromaster and the moderators decide to move it or advertise it in other places I won't mind one bit.

A nice top header or banner in the main areas for a few weeks would probably catch a lot more attention though but thats not anything I have control over.

I am "up for it".

I have an idea which I have started working on, and I will probably complete it whether the competition goes ahead or not.

My idea incorporates analogue, digital, is a piece of test equipment which can be considered as an add-on to a scope, or at least you need a scope to use the device.

JimB

The banner idea caught my eye when I first came in, it should get attention that coming from someone who isn't very observant.

kv

Personally my vote for the competition is a pic based project with a schematic, fully commented code and either pic's or a short you-tube clip showing it working. Open to 'C', 'ASM', 'Basic' programming languages and with a comprehensive code to explain how the code works will form a major part of the voting. Not only will this be fun competition to be a part in with TCMTech providing the first prize and other great prizes to be added I'm sure it will be the best competition run to date.

Regards Bryan

TCM, I'm wondering how you could pull them into research on your grid tie inverter:) I'm thinking that would raise some low cost power input into you idea and spawn someone of the NET to join us here as well.

I hope it's not just trolls, you might get a Troglodyte with some promise of contributing.

( Troglodyte \Trog"lo*dyte\, n. [L. troglodytae, pl., Gr. ? one
who creeps into holes; ? a hole, cavern (fr. ? to gnaw) + ?
enter: cf. F. troglodyte.]
1. (Ethnol.) One of any savage race that dwells in caves,
instead of constructing dwellings; a cave dweller. Most of
the primitive races of man were troglodytes.

In the troglodytes' country there is a lake, for the
hurtful water it beareth called the ``mad lake.)

TCM, I'm wondering how you could pull them into research on your grid tie inverter:) I'm thinking that would raise some low cost power input into you idea and spawn someone of the NET to join us here as well.

Sure! In many ways that would be an interesting and not overly complicated concept being all of the critical points on a GTI setup can be easily converted into and read as basic 0 -10 volt or 0 - 5 volt analog inputs. I mostly use the 0 -10 volt myself since my Teco industrial PLR units are set up to work with that input level but for the uC guys 0 - 5 volt input is fine too.
--------------------------------------
Required Inputs.

DC side voltage; 0 - 10 volt by resistor divider networks.
DC side current; 0 - 10 volts by Hall effect transducer device.
AC side voltage; 0 - 10 volts via diodes and resistor divider network or similar concept.
AC side current; 0 - 10 volts via current transformer or Hall effect device.
AC side frequency; 0 - 10 volts by F/V converter IC or direct read.

Optional but still useful inputs.

Switching device temperature.
Power transformer temperature.
Emergency load dump system monitoring.
Generator speed.

The basic outputs needed to control the power side can be done as simple high low logic outputs to switch relays or other power handling components on and off.

DC source connection.
Emergency load dump bypass.
AC line connection.
Optional cooling fan.
Audible alarm.
digital or analog readout displays.

And of course any number of LED's that represent any function or action being monitored can be added as well.
--------------------------------------

For me this is what I would consider to be more than adequate as a control system and challenge for any person of moderate electronics skills to design and build.
Being everything is reduced down to simple 0 -10 volt or 0 - 5 volt inputs and simple on/off outputs, other than the optional display system, it can be simulated and tested at normal electronics level voltages and power levels.

Being I already have the high power handling systems that deal with the higher voltage and currents pretty well worked out and proved to be quite durable and reliable I think that opening up the logic control end to anyone who is interested is a great idea being there is nearly an unlimited number of ways the power systems can be monitored and controlled.

Thats my thoughts on that idea for now. :)

How about a recycling contest? You'd have to limit it to simple things, say 5 items, create a device list, such as PC's, radio's, TV's, cell phones... Whatever. All must be in non working condition for the project, the only allowable external materials would be board to wire things up on and solder, or something to that effect.

More than half of all the electronics components I have are all rendered down from recycled devices, it'd be a neat way to see who could come up with applications for that kind of stuff. Call it an electronic version of McGuyver =)

Some variation on that, a fixed set of components that are allowed and see who can come up with the most useful device with those components would be another way to go. The usefulness would have to be determined by a panel of judges.

Last edited:
I guess you could tell I was funneling the idea from Brian. Hea,hea

Still a good one though.

Has any thought been given to project cost? While some members here would think nothing of tossing a hundred bucks into a fun project I am sure others may be hard pressed to come up with fifty bucks or less. This is where Sceadwian gets into something interesting as to building something good and practical from a pile of junk. I just figure there needs to be some semblance of a level playing field.

Case in point would be tcmtech's grid tie inverter. I can see a few ways to measure what is covered in his post. Some rather expensive turn key methods and some less expensive means. The less expensive means require more time and effort as well as developing boards where the more costly means requires connecting modules together.

Any thoughts?

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back