Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any Stronger DC motors than 9v?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mngeow

Ok so I have this project where I have to rotate a circular medicine compartment(the image below looks somewhat like it,the same shape),I'm currently using a 9v DC motor,I drilled a hole through the center of the compartment and attatched it to the motor shaft.

One major problem was that when I started the motor,the compartment wouldn't turn at all,I tried using gears as well but it didn't work.

So is there a stronger DC motor than 9v that could perhaps turn the compartment?I need it to be around the same size as a normal 9V dc motor so that it fits into my casing.

Here's the image link as stated above :
**broken link removed**

Note:I'm using a PLC to interface to my motor.

Thanks for the help! =)

gearing would be needed on a motor, direct drive would spin the box so fast its pointless, a worm gear on a spur gear would be idea for this application, as for the motor look for RC motors there low voltage but powerful, not sure if current is a concern for you.

I need it to be around the same size as a normal 9V dc motor so that it fits into my casing.

What size is "a normal 9V dc motor"?

To answer most of the posts : The 9V motor that I had was slightly bigger than my thumb , I need it to be around that size , it's okay if it's slightly bigger. I've already put in all the circuitry into my casing so there's not much room left , therefore I need the motor to be around the size mentioned earlier. My 24v DC supply has a 5.5mA current rating I'm not sure if that helps.

My 24v DC supply has a 5.5mA current rating I'm not sure if that helps.

Well there's your problem. Torque is directly proportional to current through the motor. All you need is more current.

Well there's your problem. Torque is directly proportional to current through the motor. All you need is more current.

Well that's not very good , my power supply only offers 5.5ma of current. Is there anyway to increase the current going into the motor without having to buy a new one? I'm still a student,so I don't really have alot of money on me.

Last edited:
5.5mA? Good luck with that.

Pololu.com has a cheap 6v gearmotor, 228:1 gearing for $6;
https://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1118

**broken link removed**

Free runs speed 45 RPM, free run current 70mA (which is very low current, probably ok with a 9v battery since it only runs for a second).

You could PWM the motor and probably get usable speed for your application, maybe about 10mA average. For such low currents you could PWM direct from a couple of PIC output pins.

They have smaller gearmotors there too if you need the small size, but prices and current consumption may be higher. :)

Last edited:
To answer most of the posts : The 9V motor that I had was slightly bigger than my thumb , I need it to be around that size , it's okay if it's slightly bigger. I've already put in all the circuitry into my casing so there's not much room left , therefore I need the motor to be around the size mentioned earlier. My 24v DC supply has a 5.5mA current rating I'm not sure if that helps.
You should have started with getting a motor to work, then get the electronics around it. You need a geared motor and it sounds like it will not fit now. Why do you have a 24 volt supply?

Is there anyway to increase the current going into the motor without having to buy a new one?

What kind of power supply is it? Give all the details you can.

You will still need a geared motor no mater what. How fast did you what it to spin?

I think a geared motor might be able to fit depending on it's size.We borrowed our school's PLC so we had to use a 24V DC supply to power it.Also,well at this point it doesn't really matter how fast it spins,I just want the motor to spin with enough speed and torque so that the compartment moves.

My 24v DC supply has a 5.5mA current rating I'm not sure if that helps.
We borrowed our school's PLC so we had to use a 24V DC supply to power it.

Sorry I ask again, but what kind of power supply delivers only 5.5mA? How are you able to power the PLC with it?

Last edited:
Sorry I ask again, but what kind of power supply delivers only 5.5mA? How are you able to power the PLC with it?

Oh my gosh,I just checked my power supply, the current rating is 6A , not 5.5mA. Terribly sorry about the mix up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back