Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Another inchworm+ online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menke

Well, I decided to start playing around with PICs, so I got one of the inchworm+ kits. Very nice setup. I was able to get MPlab to see it and download the ICD2 firmware on the first try. My only beef was the substituted caps weren't noted, so I just used my junk pile to swap those out.

Anyway, hopefully I won't have too many foolish questions as I screw around with this. Last time I did any micro work was with a windowed 68HC05. It seems like the ICSP will be much easier than pulling the part, dropping it in the UV eraser, program, rinse, repeat.

Does anyone here use the Great Cow basic compiler? Is it worth it to spring for a different basic compiler?

Thanks

-Mark

I am all for open source software, so GCBasic seems like a good deal (free!). Lots of good library's and steadily better documentation. Since the ICD2 is married to MPLAB, you will have an extra step or two to program your device.

Others may have an equally valid alternative view and perspective. An Open Source Project, by its very nature, is going to be a little more fickle than a mature commercial product. Best to try something out with a couple of simple projects, and evaluate from there.

Just don't rant and rave if something doesn't meet your expectations without first doing the research, or asking the question why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back