Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

And you though the candle and nail hoax was bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah? I programmed a PIC with a JDM Cable first try :D

Yesterday, I cooked a turkey by stuffing it with a couple of wire-wound hi-watt resistors connected to 120vAC. I basted it using a solder sucker tool. I mashed some potatoes using a screwdriver handle. I cut cranberries with a length of heated nichrome wire and cooked a pumpkin pie atop an overclocked microprocessor chip, less its heatsink while playing Half Life 2.:p

Last edited:
HiTech said:
Yesterday, I cooked a turkey by stuffing it with a couple of wire-wound hi-watt resistors connected to 120vAC. I basted it using a solder sucker tool. I mashed some potatoes using a screwdriver handle. I cut cranberries with a length of heated nichrome wire and cooked a pumpkin pie atop an overclocked microprocessor chip, less its heatsink while playing Half Life 2.:p

Sounds like my kind of dinner.:D

"Mmm...Nichrome and cranberry relish! My favorite!"

HiTech said:
cooked a pumpkin pie atop an over clocked microprocessor chip, less its heat sink while playing Half Life 2.:p

Yeah that would definitely do it! HL2 Takes a serious computer to be able to play it enjoyably.

The minimum requirements is 1G Ram, and a 2.4ghz processor. I have 512 RAM and a 2ghz processor, so I was suffering on this computer. The other one had 2G of ram and a 3ghz processor. Both video cards were crap though.

Just read some of the comments.

At first I thought this wouldn't work because the wall voltage is 120V and a AAA battery is only 1.5V. However if you think a little more about it (in terms of capacitance and amperage) it makes sense.

This is awesome.
I use this for my AAA-battery recharger and it works great!

This is amazing you are exposing the huge scam that the power companies have been running of years!

I hope we don't get any of those people visiting here.

Krumlink said:
Yeah that would definitely do it! HL2 Takes a serious computer to be able to play it enjoyably.

The minimum requirements is 1G Ram, and a 2.4ghz processor. I have 512 RAM and a 2ghz processor, so I was suffering on this computer. The other one had 2G of ram and a 3ghz processor. Both video cards were crap though.

o_O, What the hell are you running? Im still using a Athlon XP @ 2.3Ghz with 512Mb of Ram. GPU Is a Geforce 6800 GS (not overclocked). I got pretty dam good FPS with Everything on Medium- High Settings. AA=2X AAF = 4X (or maybe it was the other way around). I only had to adjust my settings once (because in One scene it was laggy) and still got pretty good graphics.

Unless your using a Geforce 5200, You shouldnt have a problem with HL2. Maybe you have spyware, which is the Culprit in negative performance.

Overclocked said:
o_O, What the hell are you running? Im still using a Athlon XP @ 2.3Ghz with 512Mb of Ram. GPU Is a Geforce 6800 GS (not overclocked). I got pretty dam good FPS with Everything on Medium- High Settings. AA=2X AAF = 4X (or maybe it was the other way around). I only had to adjust my settings once (because in One scene it was laggy) and still got pretty good graphics.

Unless your using a Geforce 5200, You shouldnt have a problem with HL2. Maybe you have spyware, which is the Culprit in negative performance.

I am running about the same, except my graphics card is really bad, a Radeon 9200. It can get pretty low fps sometimes.

the 9200 card doesn't surprise me that you have some video issues... have read accounts of gamers and that card series. I ordered a ATI card w/ 512mb on board, 16 pipeline, 800mHz core clock for just $70. I was expecting it to arrive today but apparently UPS Delivery can't count 3 business days!:mad:

HiTech said:
Sounds like your pumpkin pie didn't get done, try cooking it again running crysis. :eek:

Overclocked said:
Upgrade, But AGP is going dead.
AGP is stuck at 66MHz/s (yeh go ahead and try to crank the bus higher, and see what happens ;) it won't boot up) PCI-express however, supposively is 110-140MHz bus. Though it's almost double in data throughput. AGP usually has a throughput of around 2,100MBps, while PCI-E 16x(usually used for vid cards)
has a rate of 4,000MBps in parallel and 8,000MBps in serial. HUGE benefits can be seen of this bus speed increase, hell even a 6200 will run marginally better on a PCI-E than on AGP just due the more data available from the north bridge. Also i've recently upgraded from a IDE ATA 133MHZ to a SATA harddrive, I can tell BIG differences when it comes down to loading anything to the memory. Biggest improvements you can make though are always gonna be the CPU and motherboard. If your front side bus isn't fast, you're computer ain't gonna be fast, no matter how fast of a vid card or hard drive you put in it.

crusty said:
Sounds like your pumpkin pie didn't get done, try cooking it again running crysis. :eek:

Ive heard Crysis is a really short game (3 hours to beat) and the ending sucks. It looks like a good game, but the story line is really what makes a good game even better.

I like half life 2. I am stuck in episode 2, though. Damn striders. :(

My rig is a custom made shuttle xpc
AMD ATHLON 64 x2 5800+ (2.8GHz, 2x 1mb l2)
2GB of Corsair Balistix RAM
500GB SATA HD
NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600GT
dual booting ubuntu 7.10 and xp pro

soon i will be going dual 17" LCD as well. :D

anyways, episode 1 was really easy. :/ actually, it was fairly boaring. episode 2 is quite a charge, though...

edit:
forgot to mention that my video card is PCI-Express... :)

Marks256 said:

500GB SATA HD
NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600GT

anyways, episode 1 was really easy. :/ actually, it was fairly boaring. episode 2 is quite a charge, though...

edit:

Episode 1 is supposed to be short. I keep forgetting to go out and buy Episode 2 and Portal.

Do you get that Ball thing back that allows you to control the aliens in Episode 2? I loved that thing in HL2, but I didnt feel like I got full use out of it sometimes..

Hell my rig can barely handle UT3.... why yall playing them solo games anyways, why not bf2, 2142, UT, COD, TF2?

Marks256 said:

500GB SATA HD
NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600GT

edit:

AMD x2 4200+ (Socket 939 :( , 2.2GHz)
2GB Corsair XMS dual channel DDR
Geforce 7950GT OC w/512 DDR3
2x250SATA2
1x500SATA2

I have all of the extra rendering stuff off in CoD4 and I still get just over 30FPS. As for Crysis, I lag on medium detail stuff half the time.

Am going to build a new rig eventually...might sell the old one.

EDIT: I play BF2142 all the time...well not all the time but I used to. I do UT here and there, and am waiting to buy the Orange Box until my next paycheck comes in. Used to play CoD a lot too; play CoD4 at the dorms, but everyone gets angry when I start sniping...bringing back the CoD2 jump-while-scoped shot; behind concrete barriers it works pretty well!

Last edited:
Overclocked said:
Do you get that Ball thing back that allows you to control the aliens in Episode 2? I loved that thing in HL2, but I didnt feel like I got full use out of it sometimes..

I havn't got it yet, and i am on the second-to-the-last level, so i don't think you do. I wish you did, because those antlions are quite pesky.

Portal was fun. It took me about 3 hours to beat it. I found it really easy, but i could see why some wouldn't. Hopefully there is a portal 2... :)

"You will be baked, and then there will be cake"... lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back