Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

amp circuit board breaks in half

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabeNC

Attempting a repair for a friend. It was/is a Roland amp with several channels. The amp was stolen and then recovered but broken, think it got dropped on the input channel where the cable plugs in, you can see in the picture it was at that impact point that split the circuit board.

Any repair hints? I'm was planning on disassembling it and epoxy the crack together for strength, maybe solder jumpers over the break. :confused:

thanks.

amp.jpg
**broken link removed****broken link removed**

You should glue it together with epoxy or other suitable glue and then solder wire straps across the breaks in the tracks.

I would also make a metal bracket to support the right hand side of the PCB so that the mechanical strength does not depend upon the glue only.

Last edited:
What I might do is take another piece of PCB material or plastic the same size and use nylon standoffs and bolt the two together.
Make the standoffs as large as practicle giving the size of screws and lengths available.

Example 6-32 x 1/4" screws and a 1/2" standoff and 1/16 to 1/8 material.

Use solid wire bridges where you can on the order of 18 AWG. Flatten the wire wit a hammer before using the wire.

Epoxying the board together won't buy you much.

It's a nice simple and easy repair - just epoxy the break back together, then solder wires across the breaks - this is one of the easiest I've seen, as it has very few tracks and all are nice and large :D

Email this same photo to Roland. Tell them you dropped the amp and the board broke in half. Ask them if this is a problem they know about. Tell them you are surprised it happened. See if they will send you a populated board for free, or at reduced cost.
Best

Thanks for the advice gents, pretty straightforward repair. The initial glue setup slipped causing a very weak joint and I was wondering what I could use to brace across the board. Ended up using one of my kids lego pieces :D. It's pretty solid now. Hacked up a IDE hard drive cable for the jumpers.

Here's a couple of pics of the repair.

top.jpg

bottom.jpg

Like I said, it's a VERY easy repair, as the tracks are huge and very few were broken.

In these kind of simple repairs I usually scrape the resist off the board and solder a piece of solid wire right along the track, this provides mechanical strength as well - if there's a nice big track, I'll solder multiple wires across it, or a metal plate if I can find something suitable.

It's when you have dozens of tiny tracks in a small space you get problems, classic 'nasty' jobs are big SM chips feeding displays on the front of amps etc. where you have a break between chip and display.

Thanks for the advice gents, pretty straightforward repair. The initial glue setup slipped causing a very weak joint and I was wondering what I could use to brace across the board. Ended up using one of my kids lego pieces :D. It's pretty solid now. Hacked up a IDE hard drive cable for the jumpers.

I like using RJ45 for jumper and such, 14gauge speaker wire is good to, I also like to use my solder wick and scrape of the big traces and lay saturated strips over in rows across the break. If it is around a Transformer it maybe to rigid and vibrate off. That's when you use your methodology and use the jumpers.

Well done. gabeNC. The lego piece was a very nice inclusion:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back