Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"America was discovered by Columbus???"

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yes, it seems that the Bering stratit was probably the first access to these lands. And that was many many years ago. According to what I read, along the centuries, people moved slowly South down to Ushuaia.

That, the Bering land bridge theory is now in dispute. The latest theory is the first people to Americas came from what is now known as France. There have been no flint projectiles and tools found that match up with peoples in Siberia. But there are tools and projectiles matching the Solutrean peoples. These are the famous "Clovis" flint points. Even though they were named for a site in New Mexico, they are much more prominent on the east coast of the US. The Solutreans followed seals and other prey along open water edges of the Atlantic Ocean during the ice age.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solutrean_hypothesis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solutrean

Yes, try these:
**broken link removed**
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallgrímskirkja
JimB

Gracias. You meant this, wow!

90px-Hallgr%C3%ADmskirkja_and_Leifur_Eir%C3%ADksson_statue.JPG

Thinking of my own experience when I read about those Leif, Shackleton, Cook, Piedrabuena and so many, I realize they had balls like a house and no, they were not crazy!

Hola Willen,

Be aware of this: people living in USA refer to themselves as "americans". The rest of us, basically in all Latin America, we know we are "americans" because we live in the continent that we call América, whether "Sudamérica" "América Central" or "Norteamérica" but we use to refer to ourselves the nationality that corresponds to the country of origin. In my case, for good or for bad, I am "argentino".

So, if you refer to "Americans", depending who reads it, could have a different meaning. So, again , "original Americans" could mean something completely different for who reads it.

Just for your reference, if you search with time and patiente, from Ushuaia to Alaska there were many different cultures at the moment the Spaniards came to this side of the Atlantic for the first time ("discovery" as it is called).

From the top of my head in no specific order, search for:

diaguitas
aimarás
toltecas
olmecas
comechingones
onas
athabascan
charrúas (we are known by the use of the expresion "che", coming from their language)
guaraníes
tainos
araucanos
tehuelches
mayas
iroquoi
pilagás
cherokee

I could go further. There should be about 50 to 70 more that I mostly could not recall. Most of them were NOT "red".

And yes, it seems that the Bering stratit was probably the first access to these lands. And that was many many years ago. According to what I read, along the centuries, people moved slowly South down to Ushuaia.

This is true. I attempted to be careful how I said that, to make it clear that residents of the USA are not the only "Americans". However, "Native Americans" come from all over the continent, not just the US.

This is true. I attempted to be careful how I said that, to make it clear that residents of the USA are not the only "Americans". However, "Native Americans" come from all over the continent, not just the US.

As a kid when I started to learn English, that was source of confusion.

The other was more predictable: trying to distinguish between two of our neighbours: Paraguay and Uruguay.

Hi,

There are a lot of strong arguments for many peoples that could have come to "America" before anyone else, excluding of course the natives already there. There are so many possibilities before Columbus that is is doubtful if we can really say he 'discovered' it anymore. Even the Polynesians are a strong candidate due to findings in South America which would have predated Mr. C by a long shot.

Hi,

There are a lot of strong arguments for many peoples that could have come to "America" before anyone else, excluding of course the natives already there. There are so many possibilities before Columbus that is is doubtful if we can really say he 'discovered' it anymore. Even the Polynesians are a strong candidate due to findings in South America which would have predated Mr. C by a long shot.

And the comes Thor Heyerdahl with his Kontiki which seems to prove the opposite: from America to Polinesia. Go figure...!

I've always gone on the assumption that there are no truly native peoples on this continent since we all are descendants of those who migrated here.

That's also why I prefer the generalized term of American (North or South); an all inclusive term for the whole lot of us.

Hi Bob..

Don't even start with us here in South Africa....

Stupidity is the order of the day. Voting sheeple (who moan the most) keep putting the same idiots back in power that screwed them last time...
It's like...."they will be better this time around".....:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Will Idiots never never learn??

Out of here. Sigh.

I promised myself not to go Political anymore......but here is a scream anyway: I WISH ALL USELESS,CLUELESS AND BRAIN DEAD INDIVIDUALS WOULD GO AWAY. FOR SANITY. FOR COUNTRIES. FOR HUMANITY. FOR LIFE...
WHY DO WE HAVE TO CONTINIOUSLY DEAL WITH THIS CRAP.....

STUPID IS STUPID FOREVER. YOU CANNOT FIX IT. NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO. YOU HAVE GOOD INTENTIONS TO TRAIN. TO HELP. SEVEN YEARS LATER...YOUR STUDENT IS MAKING MORE MISTAKES THAN BEFORE...AND YOU SIT BACK AND WONDER....WTF IS WRONG HERE................THE MORE HE KNOWS....THE STUPIDER HE GETS....

DUNNING KRUGER MAYBE?

I HAVE NO ANSWERS....

UGH :mad:

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
At school we were taught History with most of the events at any moment totally unrelated to what was going on in different parts of the world.

Now that I think of it, I hardly could say what was happening in Japan, China, Norway, Nepal, Finland, Polinesia, .... at the time Columbus reached America. Sorry Willen! :facepalm:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back