Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium Cicuit Maker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spec

Most Helpful Member
I know that there is a wealth of useful information on this forum about the various ECADs: Altium Designer. Eagle, Proteous, ORCAD... but with the change of ownership of EAGLE, which is the most widely used ECAD for home use, I am reevaluating the various free packages.

One package of interest is Altium Circuit Maker, which I downloaded about a year ago, but have never installed or taken for a spin.

What is the general view of Circuit Maker. It is touted to be the best free package.

spec

Last edited:
What turned me off to Circuit Maker - they force you to share your designs. Your files are public. I think you can have 2 private designs but everything else is available for anybody to look at and use.

Some of my Gerbers, I'm happy to share, like the TAP-28 files, but not everything. And of the stuff I'm willing to share, I'll share it when I done with it, not every step of the way.

What turned me off to Circuit Maker - they force you to share your designs. Your files are public. I think you can have 2 private designs but everything else is available for anybody to look at and use.

Some of my Gerbers, I'm happy to share, like the TAP-28 files, but not everything. And of the stuff I'm willing to share, I'll share it when I done with it, not every step of the way.
Yes, very good point- that put me off too.

Even EAGLE, under their new owner, Autodesk, want you to open an account with them. That is why I have stuck with EAFLE 7.7.0 rather than going for 8.0.0.

In spite of the sharing problem with Circuit Maker, do you (or any body) have any experience with Circuit Maker- is it any good technically?

spec

Last edited:
I believe Dave Jones of the EEVBlog and former Altium employee, has made a video about it.

Hey Derstrom, I just read your sig. Very cool :) I like it.

I used it a while back and it was painfully slow/laggy. I had to wait maybe 10 seconds after clicking on any component before it could be moved or I could access the properties. It was not fun, even for a very small circuit.

Hopefully it's a little quicker now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back