Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

alarm circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyl86

how do i design a simple alarm circuit using 74HC14?:confused:

most ppl all recommend 555timer bt wat is e difference between 555timer n 74HC14?

One's a timer, and the other is a Hex inverting Schmitt trigger - which you use depends what you're trying to do, there are a great many different ways to make a simple alarm circuit.

If you want a very simple alarm sound that is a continuous steady tone then use a 555.

But the 6 Schmitt Trigger inverters in a 74C14 or 74HC14 can make 6 different frequencies. One frequency can be changed slowly by one of the other slower frequencies with a diode or resistor, or the tone can be turned on and off and beeping with a diode gate.

555s do have the advantage of having 200mA of drive capability.

You can do a *lot* more with a 7414 (or a CD40106) than you can with a 555, especialy if you have one handy, and you can drive a piezo sounder with it as well. Swings and roundabouts really.

I have never seen a CD40106 but I have used a CD74C14 and an MC14584 which are also ordinary Cmos hex Schmitt-trigger inverters. Their supply is from 3V to 18V. Each part has its own threshold voltages.

A 74HC14 needs a supply from 2V to 6V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back