Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AFSK with Picaxe (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerTango

I was curious, if anyone was doing any sort of FSK or Bell 103 type modulation and/or demodulation with the Picaxe?

I am wanting to be able to send digital data over audio using the Picaxe as the MODEM.

This would be for ham radio, I want to be able to use it either FM or SSB (2m and HF).

If not, is there anyone interested in co-development of something like this?

The objective is to have a minimalist circuit design. Something in the likes of the 20X2 would be a nice target chip to use.

Thanks for viewing,
Andrew

You might also ask this over at the PICAXE forum:PICAXE Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Do a forum search there for: FSK*
71 threads...(the "*" is for padding...vBulletin won't do 3 letter searches.)

Ken

Last edited:
No, but it does use a PIC

Slow? The PICAXE 20X2 can run at 64MHz.

Ken

Does not a 64MHz processor process the code faster than a 4MHz processor?

Ken

Does not a 64MHz processor process the code faster than a 4MHz processor?

Ken

My thoughts also. I ran my 20X2 at various speeds, and it is AMAZING. Im sure even at 16 or more MHZ, *something* could be banged out in code.

Andrew

I would think it's quite possible. Something like a Bell 102 FSK only requires a single 1200Hz pulse or two 2200 Hz pulses to represent 0 bit or 1 bit.

And it should be pretty easy to generate either pulse pattern using the PIC PWM module or CCP module and timer interrupt, even if the BASIC interpreter is a bit slow.

I would think it's quite possible. Something like a Bell 102 FSK only requires a single 1200Hz pulse or two 2200 Hz pulses to represent 0 bit or 1 bit.

And it should be pretty easy to generate either pulse pattern using the PIC PWM module or CCP module and timer interrupt, even if the BASIC interpreter is a bit slow.
Would you care to collaborate with me and whoever else is interested in tinkering with a project of such?

Generating it is probably plausible, but receiving it isn't - and he asked for using it as a MODEM, not just a transmitter.

Sorry Nigel I was under the impression from his first post it was to "send digital data over audio" which I took to mean a very basic "send" FSK.

RogerTango- Sorry I'm not interested in collaborating on the project, I don't use PICAXEs.

You might want to google a bit around the HAM sites for people sending digital data over the radio, as there is probably quite a few projects and products out there already.

Microchip has a dsPIC Soft Modem Library.
**broken link removed**

The PICAxe is a fun beginners chip but it's like a bike with training wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back