Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Collecting Information regarding implantable devices and how to deactivate them without operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sushrut_ojha

We all know that there are microchips that can be implanted inside a human body where they can measure temperature, blood pressure, glucose levels, etc and provide real time results to your phone.

Assuming it is a Bluetooth chip, although it can be an RFID tag or any kind of an implant that is present in the market today.

1) what kind of technology the latest implants available in market today use to communicate? I know Bluetooth and RFID tags, Please tell all that can be bought. Assuming that the implanting person can buy almost 90% of the implants available in the market. Money and procuring them is not an issue.
2) Since the chip has to have an antenna to transmit the signals and it could be anything, but it has to be conductive in nature. What are the materials available in market for antenna part of the chip that are used in an implant?

3) We are assuming that the chip doesn't has a battery of its own but if it had one, what material would be used that can last the longest and with the present technology what can be their maximum life? And are there any batteries that can be charged through electrical biochemical reactions in the body?

3) Any kind of implant has to be put in a silicone casing before being implanted, since it's the choice in every kind of implant and is least reactive inside the body. So, I want to know if there is a way where we can fry the chips inside systems inside the silicon casing without harming the subject.

4) Since these implants carry critical personal information, how can they be destroyed if a surgical procedure is not possible?

Most people are not generally near high power AM transmitters. That situation was a specific location, not something that happened anywhere.

Supposed implants that can communicate or receive anywhere are totally different to a device that only works in proximity of a specific transmitter or reader.

AM broadcast radio stations such as could be picked up on a filling tend to be rather large, with massive antenna towers.

This is one near one of my customers site , just outside Manchester:

IMG_4348.JPG
That reminds me, I went past Droitwich the other day on a coach :D

Anyway - my ex-boss has a place in Spain, and just a few years ago he went to the local town hall to pay something, and it's the other side of the town square from the Police Station, which has a large mast on top. When he came back out, his car wouldn't start - so he called a recovery service.

The breakdown guy came, didn't even try starting the car, but got ready to tow it - my ex-boss queried this, and the mechanic (in very broken English - probably better than my ex-bosses crippled Spanish) said it's OK. He then towed the car a couple of hundred yards, and put it back down again - and said "OK now". My ex-boss was highly dubious, but the mechanic just said "try" - he tried, and it started perfectly.

Apparently it's an EXTREMELY common occurrence, the high RF levels from the Police mast interfere with the cars electronics, preventing it starting - move a little further away, and all is well. Obviously the local mechanics all know this, and it's a nice little money maker :D

Some cars were made with remote locking where the car had to be unlocked shortly before starting. The car would only work if it had received the code from the remote. It was probably one of those that has a problem near the police station in Spain. The remote transmitter is only allowed to be at a very low power and a long-range transmitter nearby can be a problem. That will be working at 433 MHz in Europe, and 315 MHz in USA, I think.

More recently, cars have been made with RFID tags in the keys, so they don't rely on the receiving a code from the radio remote. The car identifies the RFID key from a very short range when it is used to start the car, either as a conventional mechanical barrel is turned with the metal part of the key, or when the key is placed in a particular place to allow starting. RFID is read at 125 kHz or 132 kHz and it's not possible to use it with passive tags at ranges of more than a few cm so it's far more difficult for local transmitters to mess it up.

Keyless start is something separate from either of those. The keyless systems sometimes use 125 / 132 kHz to transmit from the car to the key at ranges of up to a couple of metres, and then use 433 / 315 MHz to go the other way. Keyless systems often have an RFID backup to allow starting if the key's battery is dead. The backup systems use 125 / 132 kHz both ways and so are limited to a few cm.

Some cars were made with remote locking where the car had to be unlocked shortly before starting. The car would only work if it had received the code from the remote. It was probably one of those that has a problem near the police station in Spain. The remote transmitter is only allowed to be at a very low power and a long-range transmitter nearby can be a problem. That will be working at 433 MHz in Europe, and 315 MHz in USA, I think.

More recently, cars have been made with RFID tags in the keys, so they don't rely on the receiving a code from the radio remote. The car identifies the RFID key from a very short range when it is used to start the car, either as a conventional mechanical barrel is turned with the metal part of the key, or when the key is placed in a particular place to allow starting. RFID is read at 125 kHz or 132 kHz and it's not possible to use it with passive tags at ranges of more than a few cm so it's far more difficult for local transmitters to mess it up.

Keyless start is something separate from either of those. The keyless systems sometimes use 125 / 132 kHz to transmit from the car to the key at ranges of up to a couple of metres, and then use 433 / 315 MHz to go the other way. Keyless systems often have an RFID backup to allow starting if the key's battery is dead. The backup systems use 125 / 132 kHz both ways and so are limited to a few cm.
125KHz and 132KHz seem too low to be modulated with any audio information, is it possible to transmit audio at these frequencies?

125KHz and 132KHz seem too low to be modulated with any audio information, is it possible to transmit audio at these frequencies?

Very easily - only slightly above (LW) is even used for commercial radio broadcasting:

It's essentially exactly the same as MW, or SW etc.

RF frequencies in the tens of KHz (like 60KHz) are used with no issues.

Obviously there's going to be a point reached where it might become 'challenging', but by restricting the audio bandwidth (as phones do) you could drop the carrier still further. I would imagine around 2-3 times the highest audio frequency used would be perfectly simple and normal?.

I would expect issues similar to anti-aliasing would occur once you get below two?.

I don't think that there is evidence that local radio transmitters interfere with those frequencies. It is the older cars that are affected, where the security relies on the 433 MHz or 315 MHz, and it that can't get through, the car won't start.

I don't think that there is evidence that local radio transmitters interfere with those frequencies. It is the older cars that are affected, where the security relies on the 433 MHz or 315 MHz, and it that can't get through, the car won't start.
The incident in question was about 7-8 years ago, and that particular car was a BMW - however, there were large numbers, of all kinds of different makes, that wouldn't start there every day. The locals obviously knew about it, so if they had a susceptible vehicle didn't park in the square - but visitors and tourists had no such knowledge "oh, look, a nice convenient parking space, right out side the town hall" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back