Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Collecting Information regarding implantable devices and how to deactivate them without operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sushrut_ojha

We all know that there are microchips that can be implanted inside a human body where they can measure temperature, blood pressure, glucose levels, etc and provide real time results to your phone.

Assuming it is a Bluetooth chip, although it can be an RFID tag or any kind of an implant that is present in the market today.

1) what kind of technology the latest implants available in market today use to communicate? I know Bluetooth and RFID tags, Please tell all that can be bought. Assuming that the implanting person can buy almost 90% of the implants available in the market. Money and procuring them is not an issue.
2) Since the chip has to have an antenna to transmit the signals and it could be anything, but it has to be conductive in nature. What are the materials available in market for antenna part of the chip that are used in an implant?

3) We are assuming that the chip doesn't has a battery of its own but if it had one, what material would be used that can last the longest and with the present technology what can be their maximum life? And are there any batteries that can be charged through electrical biochemical reactions in the body?

3) Any kind of implant has to be put in a silicone casing before being implanted, since it's the choice in every kind of implant and is least reactive inside the body. So, I want to know if there is a way where we can fry the chips inside systems inside the silicon casing without harming the subject.

4) Since these implants carry critical personal information, how can they be destroyed if a surgical procedure is not possible?

Any kind of electronic implant MUST have a battery built in to be able to operate on its own. With no battery, it is only powered when the external unit is located over it's coupling coil.

They do not use radio communications as that takes [relatively] massive amounts of power and the battery life would be reduced to days or even hours.

Any communications - and often power or battery charging - is done via a coupling coil placed over the device, working in conjunction with a coil in the device or linked to it, just under the skin.

If you look at x-rays showing people with cochlear implants, you can easily see the coupling coils that allow them to link to the external unit. That's state-of-the-art implant technology.

The external power or communications unit could have bluetooth or wifi etc., to pass data from the implant - I think?? some cardiac pacemaker systems work like that, so a doctor can do remote checkups with the users cooperation?

Note that all the stuff online about supposed injectable or implantable "tracking" or "controlling" implants is total fantasy, they are absolutely impossible by basic science and physics, for multiple reasons.

The nearest thing in reality is an RFID style device like a "Pet passport" tag, by no means invisible or undetectable and only working when a reader device is within a few inches to power it. They are the same basic technology as contactless keyfobs or cards for door entry systems etc.

An example of how cochlear implants show up in an x-ray - the connecting coils are clearly visible, the circles in the centre are small magnets that hold the external part in place on the skin. The box is the electronics unit and you can just see one of the small spiral electrodes in the ear, if you follow the wires down.

xray.jpg

An example of how cochlear implants show up in an x-ray - the connecting coils are clearly visible, the circles in the centre are small magnets that hold the external part in place on the skin. The box is the electronics unit and you can just see one of the small spiral electrodes in the ear, if you follow the wires down.

xray.jpg

Great picture, and reminds me of a young girl who started at the school my wife works at.

Her name was Victoria, and she was a stunningly pretty young thing, and 100% completely deaf from birth.

Shortly before she started school (at 4/5 years old) she had cochlear implants fitted, which she found quite shocking, as she'd never heard anything before.

Anyway, the point of the story, if the teacher was telling her off, she'd just casually reach up and switch the implants off - and let the teacher rant on, while she couldn't hear a single thing.

I also totally agree with your post, with most of the suggested 'implants' simply being science fiction, and unlikely to ever be possible.

Your paranoid concerns are not based upon reality.

Any kind of electronic implant MUST have a battery built in to be able to operate on its own. With no battery, it is only powered when the external unit is located over it's coupling coil.

They do not use radio communications as that takes [relatively] massive amounts of power and the battery life would be reduced to days or even hours.

Any communications - and often power or battery charging - is done via a coupling coil placed over the device, working in conjunction with a coil in the device or linked to it, just under the skin.

If you look at x-rays showing people with cochlear implants, you can easily see the coupling coils that allow them to link to the external unit. That's state-of-the-art implant technology.

The external power or communications unit could have bluetooth or wifi etc., to pass data from the implant - I think?? some cardiac pacemaker systems work like that, so a doctor can do remote checkups with the users cooperation?

Note that all the stuff online about supposed injectable or implantable "tracking" or "controlling" implants is total fantasy, they are absolutely impossible by basic science and physics, for multiple reasons.

The nearest thing in reality is an RFID style device like a "Pet passport" tag, by no means invisible or undetectable and only working when a reader device is within a few inches to power it. They are the same basic technology as contactless keyfobs or cards for door entry systems etc.

xray.jpg
Are such cochlear implants safe? Does anyone have first-hand experience here?

Are such cochlear implants safe? Does anyone have first-hand experience here?

Of course they are safe, there are huge numbers in use all over the world - and certainly for Victoria it revolutionised her life - while my wife knew her from school, I knew her from teaching her Ju Jitsu (with particular care not to damage the implants).

We all know that there are microchips that can be implanted inside a human body where they can measure temperature, blood pressure, glucose levels, etc and provide real time results to your phone.

Assuming it is a Bluetooth chip, although it can be an RFID tag or any kind of an implant that is present in the market today.

1) what kind of technology the latest implants available in market today use to communicate? I know Bluetooth and RFID tags, Please tell all that can be bought. Assuming that the implanting person can buy almost 90% of the implants available in the market. Money and procuring them is not an issue.
2) Since the chip has to have an antenna to transmit the signals and it could be anything, but it has to be conductive in nature. What are the materials available in market for antenna part of the chip that are used in an implant?

3) We are assuming that the chip doesn't has a battery of its own but if it had one, what material would be used that can last the longest and with the present technology what can be their maximum life? And are there any batteries that can be charged through electrical biochemical reactions in the body?

3) Any kind of implant has to be put in a silicone casing before being implanted, since it's the choice in every kind of implant and is least reactive inside the body. So, I want to know if there is a way where we can fry the chips inside systems inside the silicon casing without harming the subject.

4) Since these implants carry critical personal information, how can they be destroyed if a surgical procedure is not possible?
Hi, Sushrut_Ojha, I'm guessing you are an Indian or a foreigner pretending to be an Indian.

I cannot answer the 1st question, but for other 4, these are the answers:

2. Material for antenna has to be conductive, it will be silver, copper, gold, aluminum and similar metals.
3. It need not even have a battery, it could be field-powered.
4. Not necessary, in Cochlear implants, the electrodes don't have silicon casing
5. EMP jammer but they would only work if the implant has electronic components, if it was just a piece of conductive metal, it will not have any effect, apart from heating nearby tissue.

Last edited:
Of course they are safe, there are huge numbers in use all over the world - and certainly for Victoria it revolutionised her life - while my wife knew her from school, I knew her from teaching her Ju Jitsu (with particular care not to damage the implants).
The other day I was reading an article. It was about the brain implantable devices on which Neuralink's and Mark Zuckerburg's teams are working separately. I am sceptic about the safety issues of those devices.

I am sceptic about the safety issues of those devices.
If they are ever approved for use beyond experimental, I'd then consider the surgery needed far more of a risk than the device itself.
Having a chunk of skull temporarily removed to install such a thing is taking things a bit too far for me!

It should be possible to destroy RFID implants safely by subjecting them to a strong field, with a frequency matching the implant's operating (i.e. resonant) frequency. This doesn't guarantee the information is destroyed, but it would be rendered unreadable, without first removing it from the body.

It should be possible to destroy RFID implants safely by subjecting them to a strong field, with a frequency matching the implant's operating (i.e. resonant) frequency. This doesn't guarantee the information is destroyed, but it would be rendered unreadable, without first removing it from the body.
I would be very concerned that such a strong field would cause severe heating of the implant's electronics, possibly sparking. I guess you could test it out on some sample devices and see if they get too hot or the casing is compromised.

I would be very concerned that such a strong field would cause severe heating of the implant's electronics, possibly sparking. I guess you could test it out on some sample devices and see if they get too hot or the casing is compromised.
You just have to provide enough power to exceed the maximum IC supply voltage, or damage the very fine coil winding. A short pulse would possibly do the trick. But as you said, testing would provide certainty.

Have you watched the excellent film 'Kingsman' :D

If they are ever approved for use beyond experimental, I'd then consider the surgery needed far more of a risk than the device itself.
Having a chunk of skull temporarily removed to install such a thing is taking things a bit too far for me!
Yes. Absolutely. I think the idea of surgery is not good. An improved version of Neurosky headsets would be much more convenient.

I find the speculation of power supply almost laughable.
well over 20 years ago, i powered a clock circuit using captured energy of an AM radio broadcaster... since power consumption has vastly improved in the three decades, I'm 99.99% sure an app could be made to run within a human's body.
the only problem being, it had to be a powerful broadcast and tuned to closest AM station. and even a "super station" couldn't work beyond a limit. while the immediate strength definitely would power it, power dissipates as it go father so a super station's signal will fail long before the actual broadcast peters out.

1: Receivable power is proportional to among other things, RF field strength and antenna size.
The supposed microscopic and undetectable implants that the conspiracy theorists rant about would be far too small to collect enough energy to do anything, never mind actually communicate.

An RF field strong enough to power them would cook everything in the area first.

2: The supposed implants are surrounded by 80% water containing electrolytes, that is quite conductive and will both absorb RF energy and mess up resonances in any antenna contained in it without significant clearance.

3: A well designed LCD clock or watch takes a minuscule amount of power - but its not running radio circuits to communicate externally over long distances, as the supposed implants do!

well over 20 years ago, i powered a clock circuit using captured energy of an AM radio broadcaster... since power consumption has vastly improved in the three decades, I'm 99.99% sure an app could be made to run within a human's body.
the only problem being, it had to be a powerful broadcast and tuned to closest AM station. and even a "super station" couldn't work beyond a limit. while the immediate strength definitely would power it, power dissipates as it go father so a super station's signal will fail long before the actual broadcast peters out.
Can you share the schematic for this clock?
1: Receivable power is proportional to among other things, RF field strength and antenna size.
The supposed microscopic and undetectable implants that the conspiracy theorists rant about would be far too small to collect enough energy to do anything, never mind actually communicate.

An RF field strong enough to power them would cook everything in the area first.

2: The supposed implants are surrounded by 80% water containing electrolytes, that is quite conductive and will both absorb RF energy and mess up resonances in any antenna contained in it without significant clearance.

3: A well designed LCD clock or watch takes a minuscule amount of power - but its not running radio circuits to communicate externally over long distances, as the supposed implants do!
1. That depends on the kind of implant they are alleging. If it's just bone conduction implant, then it may not even need an antenna.

2. We have cell phone signals travel through thousands of humans, but their signals strength is still usable for two way communication.

3. Again depends on the implant being alleged, not all of them allege, their implant is transmitting their brain waves over long distances, most allege, the implant they have is auditory, and it is receiving signals to condition their mind. Which is plausible considering a conductive metal will react to a strong radio signal, maybe it will vibrate with audio messages being transmitted.

1 - 3
No.
The receive voltage levels of radio signals that could be picked up by an antenna in an implant within a human body are simply orders of magnitude too low to do anything at all.

As an example, you mention cell phone signals.
Those are active, powered devices with very low noise and high gain amplification. They can work with signals down to around a millionth of a volt, as they are active devices.

1 - 3
No.
The receive voltage levels of radio signals that could be picked up by an antenna in an implant within a human body are simply orders of magnitude too low to do anything at all.

As an example, you mention cell phone signals.
Those are active, powered devices with very low noise and high gain amplification. They can work with signals down to around a millionth of a volt, as they are active devices.
No to what? Try watching this video:

I brought up cell phone signals because you claimed, human body is made up of 80% water containing electrolytes and absorb RF energy, thereby attenuating the signals to any supposed implant in the body, making it impossible to do anything.

Most people are not generally near high power AM transmitters. That situation was a specific location, not something that happened anywhere.

Supposed implants that can communicate or receive anywhere are totally different to a device that only works in proximity of a specific transmitter or reader.

AM broadcast radio stations such as could be picked up on a filling tend to be rather large, with massive antenna towers.

This is one near one of my customers site , just outside Manchester:

IMG_4348.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back