Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice re Fan Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnold9801

I'm not equipped with much electronic info, so was asking if anyone could advise me on the wiring of my new 120mm 12v fan (as below) to an AC power supply?

I'm a little wearie regarding the identity of the three thin cables as can be seen and which two do I use to connect to the adaptors wires?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Arnold9801

Attachments

• 20221207_202332.jpg
    20221207_202332.jpg
    884 KB · Views: 145
  • 20221207_202228.jpg
    20221207_202228.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 151

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221207-210242_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221207-210242_Samsung Internet.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 160
Ideally I want to connect it to the below adaptor. But which wire from the adaptor connects with those from the fan?
That is possibly the worst type to use, as the polarity depends on which way around the cable and a tip are connected.

It may possibly be marked + and - on the sides of the adapter cable socket, next to the respective pin sockets?

Other than that, you need a multimeter to determine polarity.

Some universal adapters are also unregulated and the voltage with a small load may be rather higher than the switch setting indicates.

I didn't see the last 2 posts. Yes, you will need to determine the polarity of the supply. You have a meter, right? Some of those units are nasty pieces of work. Keep track of it's temp....power supply, not fan....when first using it. Your touch will do.

I didn't see the last 2 posts. Yes, you will need to determine the polarity of the supply. You have a meter, right? Some of those units are nasty pieces of work. Keep track of it's temp....power supply, not fan....when first using it. Your touch will do.
The fan manual shows the wires as attached. Which two do I connect to the wires of thd adaptor?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221207-212326_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221207-212326_Samsung Internet.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 157
Unless the adapter itself is specifically labelled with polarity, there is no way of knowing - other than using a multimeter.

A fixed 12V adapter with a fixed connector and clearly indicated polarity would be far simpler, and probably cheaper.

First.....you have to determine which wire from adapter is positive and which wire is negative. Can you do that?

If you can, get some tape and label the wires, ok?

Your picture is fuzzy and my eyes are old. It appears the pin 1 is ground or negative, and pin 2 is the positive.

[QUOTE="rjenkinsgb, post: 1430830, member: 273344"] Unless the adapter itself is specifically labelled with polarity, there is no way of knowing - other than using a multimeter. A fixed 12V adapter with a fixed connector and clearly indicated polarity would be far simpler, and probably cheaper. [/QUOTE] Can you give me an example?

Every man needs a meter. It's a man thing. HUH HUH. I recommend the VICI VC99 multimeter. It's cheap. It has many functions. And it preforms well above the advertised specs.

And of course, one could pick up one those $4.99 little yellow meters from Harbor Freight, for your purpose. That might be better for a new student. People usually burn up their first meter.

Can you give me an example?
A generic 12V adapter with a permanently attached connector, and the polarity indicated on the label.

eg. Anything like these, with the appropriate wall plug type for your country;

Both of those have the outer of the plug as negative and the inner as positive, which is the commonest polarity.

A generic 12V adapter with a permanently attached connector, and the polarity indicated on the label.

eg. Anything like these, with the appropriate wall plug type for your country;

Both of those have the outer of the plug as negative and the inner as positive, which is the commonest polarity.
Many Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back