Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Additional symbols

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh, _nox_, that seems like a lot of work! :) Lol. Can't we just upload some character's to the Image Shack or something? Hell, doesn't anyone have a GeoCities account? We could upload a bunch there.

does it ? not really...
Speak for yourself. It is funner to complain, rather than doing something about it! Them there are words of wisdom! :)

I have a feeling that this is Unicode and not ASCII, all moder operating systems and software supports it. Having said that my keyboard must work differently (or it probably isn't the keyboard but the driver) as I don't get the same symbols when I use the key combinations you say, however they apper on the screen the same.

Ron H said:
If XL means Excel, then alt-234 gives me Ω in Excel also. However...
I made my previous post from my computer at work. Now I'm at home. If I type alt-234 here (in the forum window), as soon as I get to the "3", it activates Favorites. I suspect it's because I'm running the beta version of IE7 here, while at work I'm using IE6. To get the Ω to print here, I had to type it in Notepad, then copy and paste it here.

This happens in Firefox (v. 1.5.0.6). Its probably a browser thing

It sounds like a good idea to me!

I blame Microsoft!

I blame Microsoft!

I agree that MS has problems, but they are still the best of the best. Now that Bill is leaving, things may get interesting. Have any of you seen the movie "Pirates of the Silicon Valley"? That movie puts every thing into perspective. Steve Wozniak, and Bill Gates are my heroes! Especially Steve Wozniak, he was/is a freakin' genius! So is bill, but he is just a programmer. I do both! ROCK ON! :p

Marks256 said:
I agree that MS has problems, but they are still the best of the best.
Don't make me laugh. :D

What about all those bugs in Windows and Internet Explorer? Sure they're the best alright, they're the best at selling the worst software for the highest price, i.e. marketing.

What about all those bugs in Windows and Internet Explorer? Sure they're the best alright, they're the best at selling the worst software for the highest price, i.e. marketing.

Do you want to know something? I have Windows 95 First Edition, Windows 98, Windows 98SE, Windows 2K, Windows XP HOME, and Windows XP PRO. I love each and every one of them, except 98 FE, and 2K. Do you want to know something else? Not a single one of them are legal, except for 95 FE, and XP HOME. My parents bought 95 when it first came out, and i got XP Home on my laptop when we bought it.
I love windows, don't diss them, they have problems, and i disagree with some of the things they do, but i refuse to go to Macintosh, and i don't like Linux all that much. What bugs are there in IE? Are you running BETA? I haven't had any problems with IE, except for the history tracking, but i downloaded a program that delt with that. :)

I've tamed Windows to run alright and it doesn't give me any trouble but I know many other people who will tell you otherwise. Linux can be great and it can be poor, it depends on the distribution and what you want from it, the main problems are centred around lack of support for it due to its low market share. I don't know much about Macs, I've used one briefly at a computer auction and I might buy a cheap one some day.

Marks256 said:
What bugs are there in IE?
Far too many to mention. For a start too many security bugs to mention, lack of standards support and rendering bugs that mean web developers have to implement hacks to get their pages to render properly. Many new web features such as sgv aren't supported properly so while most people continiue to use IE web designers can't add new and cool features, hence its use is holding back the web.

Marks256 said:
Are you running BETA?
At work I use IE 6 on Windows 2000 with all the updates installed, at home I mainly use Opera, followed closely by Firefox and only IE (XP SP2) for the small minority of sites which won't work with the former.

Marks256 said:
I haven't had any problems with IE
Neither have I, though it's still crap, for me just not giving me any trouble isn't good enough. I want the software I use to do everything I want and more, IE does not. When I use IE it doesn't actually give me any problems in terms of reliability, what I do notice though is it lacks features such as, zooming, tabbed browsing, and a decent download manager which doesn't loose your downloads when you close it down or you loose the connection.

Marks256 said:
, except for the history tracking, but i downloaded a program that delt with that. :)
My point exactly, you need a separate piece of third party software to correct a bug.

Everyone has their own oppinion, some people love IE since most sites are designed for it, others hate it, but here are some common criticisms.

Last edited:
Windows 2000

Right there is your only problem. Get rid of 2K, and all your prayers will be answered. There is no amount of updates in this world to make 2K stable...

I didn't say IE was unstable (though some might agree). I just said it's boring and featureless. I run it under XP sp2 and it still isn't that much better.

I run Windows 2000 on a PC in my bedroom, it isn't that bad, it certainly has less bloat than XP. Most of the problems people have with Windows are due to anti-virus, shareware/wares and bad drivers, eliminate these and it'll run quite well, this doesn't make it good by any means, there are many features of Gnome, KDE and Bash I miss.

Last edited:
I dislike 2K. I also hate Norton AntiVirus.

I hate anti-virus. It really isn't needed, if you know what you're doing. You have to run a tight ship though, by only allowing people to log in with limited user accounts and restricting software usage to software know to be free from spyware.

I use AVG. It is the best of the best.

just get AVG for virus stuff and ad-aware by lavasoft for all your spyware and little bugs.. perfect combo right there

I used to use AV, then I noticed it uses loads of memory and the auto updates slowed my connection down. I did some reading and decided that memory resident antivirus is a bad idea. Now I don't run any anti-virus software in the background but I do a scan every month or so and I haven't picked up a single virus.

How much memory does task manager show you're using when you close all your programs down?

My system uses less than 75MB, with AVG installed it used 166MB, twice as much!

I didn't bother to close any programs, but i have Windows Media Player running, and two IE's open. I am using 237.9mb of memory. I have a lot of background tasks running though, like Wireless Internet software, Keyboard/Mouse software(wireless), ActiveSync, AVG, Media Mixer, and a few others. According to Task Manger, AVG is only using 9.4609375mb of memory. That isn't much to me. :)

The actual task AVG doesn't use much memory but it has other modules loaded that Task Manager can't see. They are loaded using services.exe and rundll.exe, this is done on purpose to stop viruses from messing with them. **broken link removed** is good at finding them but it still isn't easy as they often have unusual names. The only way to really find out how much memory it uses look at the amount of memory used with it installed then uninstall it and compare the difference (you can disable it but that still doesn't prevent all the modules from loading). Forget memory the biggest performance lags with memory resident virus scannars is the slow down in your Internet connection and reading from removable media as it's scanning every file, in some cases even your hard disk reading can be slow unless it's sensible enough not to scan it all the time which I hope most AV is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back