Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AD633 as amplitude modulator - not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peet1

Hi,

Please can someone help on what has got to be a simple oversight by me.

I am using the AD633 in spice as an amplitude modulator, but it's just giving me a rubbish output. Output is a few mV when the input is a few V, and it is not what I'd expect from an AM signal. My circuit is from the datasheet example, and plenty of entries online allude to using this circuit, I can't get it to work. This is the second AM arrangement I've tried, the first with a transistor and I got similar rubbish results. I am clearly missing something, but after nearly 8 hours of searching I can't find the issue and it's driving me nuts!

If anyone has experience with this IC, please can you take a look?

Attached is the spice simulation (LT spice - I haven't used this package before, so could be an error there), also the green trace is the output. Input conditions are labelled on the schematic.

Any pointers / ideas really appreciated.

Thanks
Pete

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 629
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    22 KB · Views: 398
It looks like there is 5V offset on the input signals.
Set that to 0v.

Here's my LTspice simulation:
I removed the input signals' DC offset.

1578510293833.png

Sounds like connected improperly or wrong bias for linearity.
You can double check here:

Please verify the actual polarity on pins 5 and 8. Use a DMM for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back