Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Acer Aspire 5742Z Laptop Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

simplebeans

Hi i am new here and new to electronics repair. I enjoy reading the various topics on here and the wealth of knowledge thanks.

I have recently undertaken my first repair of a laptop motherboard the one found inside the - Acer Aspire 5742Z.

After inspecting the board i found the below components that looks damaged so i wanted to replace them, my problem is there any easy way to find out which these parts are so i can have a look online at ordering some replacement, the pictures below are just general photos i found online to show you:

https://www.roboelements.com/product...l4148-sod-80c/
and
https://components101.com/mosfets/bs...eet-equivalent

I appreciate if anyone can help is there a way to determine the components using a multimeter at all? Or do i need the schematic diagram? I want to purchase replacement and give it a go at fixing this. I am sorry if i have posted this in the wrong section please let me know if i have.

Thanks appreciate it :)

The simple way is grab a copy of the board schematic and read the component info from that:

Appreciate that helps rjenkinsgb :). So from that board schematic docmument, do you think it will show me what those components are and which ones i need to order? Its really good that it has those board numbers in the schematic document like R26, i am guessing these correspond to the numbers printed on the motherboard itself the ones next to each of the components?

Last edited:
Ok rjenkinsgb so im presuming the numbers on the board do correspond to the numbers printed in the schematics document so i have downloaded the document and been through it and i found on page 36 - PL24 (number next to the component on the board) SMB3025500YA_2P and page 40 - PD14 (number next to the component on the board) LL4148_LL34-2. I think for the PD14 i found this part on ebay but not sure - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193496331124?hash=item2d0d47b374:g:kwIAAOSwt9Je18Zs and for the PL24 SMB3025500YA_2P i have no idea where to purchase that from, any help would be appreciated sir? :)

Last edited:
Can you provide a photo of the actual laptop board showing the components you want to replace?
Hey rjenkinsgb thanks for your reply, so in the meantime I did some more investigating and found the first part I needed it is this one - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223210339487?var=522008552214. The other part i am still having difficult finding that is the PL24 (number next to the component on the board) SMB3025500YA_2P page 40, here is a link to a part that looks exactly the same as the one on the motherboard - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322859037852?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338703918&toolid=20006&customid=s%3AGS%3Bgc%3AEAIaIQobChMIrqjrw7yn8wIVGpzVCh3lNAUDEAkYBSABEgJ9CvD_BwE%3Bpt%3A1%3Bchoc%3A2&customid=s:GS;gc:EAIaIQobChMIrqjrw7yn8wIVGpzVCh3lNAUDEAkYBSABEgJ9CvD_BwE;pt:1;choc:1. The part on the motherboard has the letters - 6KALJ printed on it, I don't know if that helps?

I can get a picture of this part on the motherboard but I'm waiting for a memory card to arrive so I can plug it into the camera so I can snapshot a picture for you, let me know if the above information helps at all or not and if you still need a image of the part on the motherboard?

Last edited:
SMD codes are OEM specific and may be duplicated by others. There are not many clues starting with 6K....Suffix

I need a photo of the motherboard, so I can compare to the layout and schematic in the service info.
Ok I am still waiting for my memory card to arrive so I can take some pictures of my actual motherboard if you still need that from me. But in the meantime I just looked on Google search and found some pictures of the motherboard that someone else has posted, below are the two links to the pictures, I have labelled one of them so you can see where these components are on the board, I really hope this helps:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
OK; PD14 is just a generic 1N4148 type diode, in surface mount.

PL24 is an inductor, a filter choke for interference suppression. You could replace it with a fuse for testing, something rated slightly higher than the charger/PSU maximum rated output.

The photos do not show enough detail to see what size or type of package the existing inductor is.

OK; PD14 is just a generic 1N4148 type diode, in surface mount.

PL24 is an inductor, a filter choke for interference suppression. You could replace it with a fuse for testing, something rated slightly higher than the charger/PSU maximum rated output.

The photos do not show enough detail to see what size or type of package the existing inductor is.

Ok i just took a photo from the screen of my motherboard, link is below:

The component with the hole in it is PL24 inductor, you can just about make out the PD14 1N4148 diode underneath it before it cuts out. Let me know if that helps?

That is a transistor or dual diode, not an inductor.

Take another photo of a slightly larger area so all the text around the components is visible?

That is a transistor or dual diode, not an inductor.

Take another photo of a slightly larger area so all the text around the
Ok hope this one is better I have managed to get more components into view:

Also looking at the board again I'm now thinking this isn't PL26 but PQ67 on page 40? Sorry that is probably my mistake at reading boards rubbishly.

Last edited:
That's better; I'd say the damaged device is "PQ67"

From the schematic, that looks to be a TP0610K:

It is in series with the LL4148, which may make sense for them to both have been damaged by the same fault.
rjenkinsgb knew we could get there in the end haha. I found PQ67 on ebay, if you can confirm its the same part: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181886074962?hash=item2a59414052:g:Du0AAOSwk5FUtsUu

Yep, that appears to be the same device.
Appreciate that. I am going to give it a go by replacing them, just ordered parts waiting for delivery. It is my first project :) and ill report back rjenkinsgb and let you know how it goes and if i need any more help but thanks alot so far dude!

Last edited:
Hey rjenkinsgb, so received the diode and mosfet and started the repair today. Everything was going so well, I had removed the blown mosfet fine. Then tried to remove the diode and the copper ripped off the circuit board with it! See the images below to show you what has happened. I have checked the board view file and it seems the side where the copper has ripped from the board is connected in to PR386, PR388, PR390 and PR391, am I right? If so what's the best way to repair this? Could I solder a jumper wire directly to the PR391 next to it?

Last edited:
Hey rjenkinsgb, so received the diode and mosfet and started the repair today. Everything was going so well, I had removed the blown mosfet fine. Then tried to remove the diode and the copper ripped off the circuit board with it! See the images below to show you what has happened. I have checked the board view file and it seems the side where the copper has ripped from the board is connected in to PR386, PR388, PR390 and PR391, am I right? If so what's the best way to repair this? Could I solder a jumper wire directly to the PR391 next to it?

Any help guys?

It does appear that the top is commoned to the component to the left. I'd solder it in place using the bottom pad then add a fine strand of wire across the top to act as a bridge between the two components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back