Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Accidently plugged 19vdc PS into a 12vdc back up hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a picture of what I see on the monitor of the laptop computer. No state button. No magnifying glass. I remember old windows had a start button. I don't remember if Win10 had a start button before it did and up date.

View attachment 140163
OK your lower taskbar id centered. See the small magnifying glass where it says SERCH? Click that and type in THIS PC. The left column should show looking like this:
THIS PC.png

You should see the newly added drive in there.

I asked earlier but will ask again. You are adding a drive enclosure, you did place a known good HDD in the new enclosure correct? These come as an enclosure only, they do not include a hard drive.

You can see on my system I have the usual C drive, then a F drive I named backup. then the My Cloud which is an external network drive (NAS Box). You should see everything you have.

Here is an example after I added my external USB drive named My Book.

My Book.png

You are not adding a Network Device you are just adding an external HDD.

One more time you did place a drive in the new enclosure correct?

Ron

Last edited:
That's because you're clicking the Network button - it's pretty clearly labelled 'Network'.

I can't find anything else to click that has anything to do with the external HD ???

Use to, when external HD was plugs into the laptop computer a new drive appeared on the left side at the bottom, Drive D.

I clicked the new drive then it opened up with a list of everything on the HD. Everything on the HD has names, click, Circuit drawings, it opens 200 circuit drawings. Click, YellowStoneVacation 300 pictures open. Click, ChristmasPics, it opens 1000 photos. Etc.

One more time, you did install a working drive in your new enclosure correct? Have you used the search function I outlined? If you have a valid functioning hard drive in the enclosure it should be showing up.

Another option depending on your PC is just open it, find an open HDD port and temporarily connect your old HDD assuming it works. Power it using any SATA connectors unused from your PSU. This should not be complicated.

Also on a side note why are you posting pictures rather than screen shots?

Open Snipping Tool and take a screenshot

SCR Shot.png

Ron

One more time, you did install a working drive in your new enclosure correct? Have you used the search function I outlined? If you have a valid functioning hard drive in the enclosure it should be showing up.

Another option depending on your PC is just open it, find an open HDD port and temporarily connect your old HDD assuming it works. Power it using any SATA connectors unused from your PSU. This should not be complicated.

Open Snipping Tool and take a scree

Open Snipping Tool and take a screenshot

View attachment 140171

Ron

Good Question. Did you read #1 in the list? I plugged a 19v PS into a 12v drive, it stopped working. Someone suggested buying an new external drive case, install HD into new case to see if it works. I have done that.

I plugged my memory stick into the laptop and laptop sees it as drive D. Computer is still working as before.

Remove memory stick then plugged external HD into laptop, computer does not know HD is here. It should come up as Drive D like it use too.

I think External HD is dead, why would computer not see HD plugged into laptop? Does software need to be installed like a printer or camera? No instructions came with external HD case.

100_6939.JPG
100_6938.JPG
100_6937.JPG
100_6936.JPG

I just remembered something. My printer use to work fine but after windows 10 updated computer no longer knows the printer in plugged into the computer. Same problem as external HD. I tried several times to make printer work then gave up.

OK let's give something a try. Go back to Search (the little magnifying glass) and type in Device Manager. Then click on device manager.

The Device Manager should look close to this.
DEV MGR.png

Click to expand Portable Devices. Above my external USB hard drive shows as My Book. What do you see under Portable Devices? If you see your external HDD it's working if not then it's not. I also see you are using a laptop. That eliminates some of my other ideas. :(

Ron

So what's the outcome?

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back