Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Accidently plugged 19vdc PS into a 12vdc back up hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I accidently plugged 19vdc PS into a 12vdc back up hard drive. Lights don't come on anymore. Computer does not know back up HD is connected anymore. I finally got the plastic case apart. Parts are all surface mount & all the parts look the same except the micro small ICs. What are the chances the HD can be repaired.

Every time my computer crashes I loose 1000s of things. Back up HD was suppose to solve the problem. I did not know a 19v plug is the same at 12v. I thought all the different size & shape plugs were for a specific voltage.

100_6847.JPG
100_6845.JPG
100_6839.JPG
100_6837.JPG

I thought all the different size & shape plugs were for a specific voltage.

Unfortunately no. The plugs have no specific electrical ratings other than
max V and I allowed for a specific plug.

You might be able to repair HDD, bit of a long shot as you probably cant get
your hands on a schematic. If desperate you could buy an identical drive and
swap out interface board in the drive. But that may be not 100 % certain, the
board could have test calibration measurements done during production test
to accommodate device to device variation from one drive to another.

Go over to youtube and see what you can find others have done to repair.

Regards, Dana.

In addition to there being no voltage standard, there is no standard for polarity.

Remove the hard drive from its external housing and connect it to a 'desktop' computer to confirm if it died or not.

- If dead and you must recover its contents or fix it; buy an used same model hard drive and swap its printed circuit board. That has a very good chance to revive. Done it at least a dozen times successfully.
- If the hard drive worked in the other computer; the power supply section in the external housing may be kaput, fixable or not by getting a new external case.

Show us a picture of the component side of that board where the clear light pipes end.

Remove the hard drive from its external housing and connect it to a 'desktop' computer to confirm if it died or not.

- If dead and you must recover its contents or fix it; buy an used same model hard drive and swap its printed circuit board. That has a very good chance to revive. Done it at least a dozen times successfully.
- If the hard drive worked in the other computer; the power supply section in the external housing may be kaput, fixable or not by getting a new external case.

Show us a picture of the component side of that board where the clear light pipes end.

This HD is not made to be inside of any computer it connects to any computer with this cable. This circuit board plugs into the edge of the HD its not made to have a HD cable plugged into it. I stopped building computers 15 years ago the HD case looks the same but you can't plug a HD cable into it. Maybe HDs these days use different cables?

100_6852.JPG
100_6856.JPG

Western Digital and Seagate stopped manufacturing IDEs in 2013 – this is the type of drive connected by a 40 or 44 pin ribbon cable.

The external drive is a SATA drive – the norm for more than 10 years. The easiest way to recover your drive, if it's possible, is to buy a USB–SATA converter OR another external SATA enclosure

That looks like (is) a 3.5" drive. The connectors, as already mentioned, will be sata.

This is what a sata connector looks like,
sata.jpg

Is that what yours looks like?

As already mentioned, just buy an external enclosure and try it.

I use these for 500G 2.5" drives that I saved from the trash in school.Enclosure
And a 3.5" version, Enclosure

Mike.

This HD is not made to be inside of any computer it connects to any computer with this cable.

As per the others, it's just a standard PC (or anything else) drive, in a caddy with a USB converter board - you can simply connect the drive to a suitable connector in a PC.

Like Pommie, I buy cheap caddies and utilise HDD's from my old computers.

Like Pommie, I buy cheap caddies and utilise HDD's from my old computers.
Slightly different, At school many drives have to be destroyed. Normally a 6mm drill through the platter or a big whack with a lump hammer is considered sufficient. We got a box of about 2000 500G 2.5" drives for destruction. I rescued 10 of them and low level formatted them, the schools concern was data security. The thought that a future prime ministers records could "pop up" in the future was the main concern. Anyway, low level format and filling them many times over has ensured NO data is left on them except mine.

Should have rescued more. Must get my cape resewn (sp? look wrong). :D

Mike.

That looks like (is) a 3.5" drive. The connectors, as already mentioned, will be sata.

This is what a sata connector looks like,
View attachment 140022

Is that what yours looks like?

As already mentioned, just buy an external enclosure and try it.

I use these for 500G 2.5" drives that I saved from the trash in school.Enclosure
And a 3.5" version, Enclosure

Mike.

This looks like my HD. So I put it in the enclosure then it plugs into my laptop computer with HDMI cable.? Where does HD get 12v or 5v to run?

This looks like my HD. So I put it in the enclosure then it plugs into my laptop computer with HDMI cable.? Where does HD get 12v or 5v to run?

What has HDMI got to do with anything?, that's an OUTPUT from a computer to a screen.

The SATA connector plugs in inside the computer - there may already be a suitable one hanging loose.

Or just buy a SATA caddy/adaptor which connects via USB, similar to what you already have.

What has HDMI got to do with anything?, that's an OUTPUT from a computer to a screen.

The SATA connector plugs in inside the computer - there may already be a suitable one hanging loose.

Or just buy a SATA caddy/adaptor which connects via USB, similar to what you already have.

I have a laptop computer now with 1 spare HDMI receptacle that can be used to plug in the HD. I have not had a deck top computer in about 12 years.

100_6857.JPG

Please get your terminology straight.

An external hard disk plugs into a USB connector.

An external monitor plugs into an HDMI connector.

Picture #2 shows it is a SATA drive.
Picture #3 shows the jack for the USB cable in post #6 connects to the external housing adapter interface board, not to the hard drive.
Post #8 shows the connector SATA drives have for powering it and for data.
To connect a SATA drive to a USB cable, takes that extra adapter board inside the external housing.

So do the transplant as in post #5 from any borrowed/neighbor PC and come back with findings.
Post #13 is lost in space.

This HD is not made to be inside of any computer it connects to any computer with this cable.
I'll also confirm it is a "bog standard" 3.5" SATA drive.

It was fitted in a branded version of a SATA to USB enclosure such as this type of thing:

The prices vary with the USB type/speed and just from make to make & different sellers.

The big question is if the drive electronics were blown by the overvoltage, or only the USB adapter / regulator part...

I'm pretty sure the new drive enclosure will come with a new USB cable (and power supply if needed). The one you're showing is a USB A to mini USB B cable which is pretty much out of favour now.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back