Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Accidently plugged 19vdc PS into a 12vdc back up hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I removed the PC board from the HD then connected the 12v PC and LED light marked D6 activity comes on very bright.

Red color button on PC board says, soft state.

When I reconnect PC board to HD all 6 LED lights come on not very bright.

D1 Lock
D2 Gauge 1
D3 Gauge 2
D4 Gauge 3
D5 Gauge 4
D6 Active

I tried all the USB wires I have and HD does not show up on my computer as being connected to the computer.

I can't think of anything else to test.

If I buy the $20 HD enclosure maybe HD will work.

100_6858.JPG
100_6861.JPG
100_6859.JPG
100_6860.JPG

My question is, if he was using the computer HDMI output to the hard drive is there anything on the drive at all? Or anything useful?

It's the same USB cable used for the Pickit 2 and Arduino Nano. A mini USB cable which was once common but was replaced with micro USB and now USB C.

Mike.

Received my 3.5 in USB 2.0 High Speed External SATA HDD Hard Drive Disk Case Enclosure Box today. HD is on and connected to computer but computer says, network is turned off. How do I turn network on? NO network option? I just realized after my computer forced me to update is when my backup HD stopped working. I wonder if there was never anything wrong with the back up HD.???

100_6929.JPG
100_6928.JPG

Last edited:
I have one of those external hard drives. Yes they run off a 12 volt wall wart power supply. Mine is a Western Digital like yours. I have a pile of old wall warts and they all use the same DC connector plugs 2.5mm I.D. - 5.5mm O.D. which is likely the most common. Voltages out in AC and DC ranging from 30 VDC down to 5 VDC. The connector means nothing it's merely a connector.

So you got the HDD out. I would do as suggested and invest in an inexpensive USB to SATA HDD adapter. Google is your friend. I have a few from over the years which will adapt to any HDD and the kits include a power supply for powering your HDD. Then you will know if the actual HDD from your enclosure is alive. Unitek and a dozen others make a universal PATA / SATA to USB adapter kit.

Every time my computer crashes I loose 1000s of things. Back up HD was suppose to solve the problem.
Invest in a NAS Box.

Nest simple trick is just place a known good additional HDD in your existing computer and use free software to create a disk image of your primary hard drive weekly. Then every now and then just delete the old files and folders or disk images. With any luck while your external HDD box may be bad hopefully the actual HDD and your data is fine.

Ron

Your new drive is connected through USB correct. With it connected to your PC just click the little folder left side bottom taskbar. You should see the added USB drive. Under This PC you should see the newly added drive. Networking has nothing to do with it.

You did install a HDD in it correct? You have one of these right?

Ron

Last edited:
Your new drive is connected through USB correct. With it connected to your PC just click the little folder left side bottom taskbar. You should see the added USB drive. Under This PC you should see the newly added drive. Networking has nothing to do with it.

You did install a HDD in it correct? You have one of these right?

Ron

When I try to connect external HD to computer message says, network is turned OFF.

OK, lets try something. On your bottom taskbar you see a little magnifying glass right beside the Windows Start button. Click the little magnifying glass. Type This PC into the little search box. Then click This PC in the window that opens. On the left column you should see everything including your C drive and any drive you just added. My old Western Digital shows up as My Book when connected.

Next as to why your computer would see this as a Network Drive I haven't a clue but you can look here for how to turn On / Off network sharing. That covers Windows 10 and 11.

Ron

OK, lets try something. On your bottom taskbar you see a little magnifying glass right beside the Windows Start button. Click the little magnifying glass. Type This PC into the little search box. Then click This PC in the window that opens. On the left column you should see everything including your C drive and any drive you just added. My old Western Digital shows up as My Book when connected.

Next as to why your computer would see this as a Network Drive I haven't a clue but you can look here for how to turn On / Off network sharing. That covers Windows 10 and 11.

Ron

Here is a picture of what I see on the monitor of the laptop computer. No state button. No magnifying glass. I remember old windows had a start button. I don't remember if Win10 had a start button before it did and up date.

100_6931.JPG

This HD is not made to be inside of any computer it connects to any computer with this cable. This circuit board plugs into the edge of the HD its not made to have a HD cable plugged into it. I stopped building computers 15 years ago the HD case looks the same but you can't plug a HD cable into it. Maybe HDs these days use different cables?

View attachment 140020

Find the PWB board number on the assemblies, and do an eBay search to see if someone has parted out a similar drive. You may get lucky and it will fix the drive.

Find the PWB board number on the assemblies, and do an eBay search to see if someone has parted out a similar drive. You may get lucky and it will fix the drive.

I bought a new 1 of these so my drive will work.

Here is a picture of what I see on the monitor of the laptop computer. No state button. No magnifying glass.
??????
Your "Weather" bar has somehow ended up at the left of the screen, but all the normal stuff is just to the right of it!

WinScreen2.jpg

Are you able to see what is on a USB drive when you plug that in?

If you press the windows key and "E" on the keyboard at the same time that should open a new explorer window which should show the drives on the computer. An external hard drive or a USB drive should be in the list on the left after the C: drive.

Are you able to see what is on a USB drive when you plug that in?

If you press the windows key and "E" on the keyboard at the same time that should open a new explorer window which should show the drives on the computer. An external hard drive or a USB drive should be in the list on the left after the C: drive.

The HD use to show up at the bottom left corner of this place. If I click network these message comes up.

100_6932.JPG
100_6933.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back