Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC - DC rectification

Status
Not open for further replies.

surjit

what is the difference between 1) Step down Transformer + Bridge rectifier and 2) Bridge rectifier + DC - DC converter ??

Last edited:
The two really are not related.
You don't need a bridge rectifier for a DC to DC converter, you need a DC power source.
These are the proper arrangements;
AC power in to Step down Transformer, bridge rectifier, Filter, DC out.
DC in to DC - DC converter, DC out.

You can use a DC - DC converter after a DC power supply to change the voltage if you want.

Thank you . Actually my input is 12 V AC . I want to convert into 3 V DC . may be i should use Rectifier + DC DC converter , since my input is low . am i correct ??

Depends on cost and efficiency needs as well as power demands.
A traditional full wave power supply may be cheaper, and easier to get higher currents out of.
A DC/DC converter is more efficient but harder to get higher currents out of.

A traditional full wave power supply is easy to make your self.
A DC/DC converter can be complicated with harder to find parts.

What voltage and current do you need out of your 12 volt AC supply?

Hope this helps.

my supply is variable voltage between 6 - 12 V AC , different frequency but less than 200 Hz , current 10 - 100 nA and I want to convert it in to DC 3V , cost is not an issue .

For nano amps you could use one diode, a cap a resister and a zener.

Read here about zener diodes;

Use a single diode and a cap as a half wave power supply off your AC voltage, then add the zener regulater.

what is the difference between 1) Step down Transformer + Bridge rectifier and 2) Bridge rectifier + DC - DC converter ??
Thank you . Actually my input is 12 V AC . I want to convert into 3 V DC . may be i should use Rectifier + DC DC converter , since my input is low . am i correct ??
sorry....can you plz explain in detail ? or with a diagram if possible

If I may ask, are you looking for explanations, or are you looking for a solution?

Explanations are readily available by googling.

As per 4pyros (this is simplest):
AC-DC-Reg PS.JPG

There is a little noise on the output.

Thank you i will try this circuit , and can i also try Flyback converter to step down DC ??
No, 10 - 100 nA is not enough current to power anything, so anything that requires its own power like a step down is completely out of question.

If I may ask, are you looking for explanations, or are you looking for a solution?

Explanations are readily available by googling.

As per 4pyros (this is simplest):
View attachment 89370
There is a little noise on the output.

Thank you its really helpful . I am looking for both because i have doubt weather to implement DC - DC buck converter or use Step down transformer ? your solution is perfect , Ty

No, 10 - 100 nA is not enough current to power anything, so anything that requires its own power like a step down is completely out of question.

Yeah thats what i think , thn i need some switching regulator for low current application .

No exactly the opposite. Any active ciruitry such as switching regulator needs about a thousand times more power to operate than what you have available. You need a completely passive solution with as little leakage as possible. Stick with a single low leakage diode as a rectifier, and a second zener diode to clamp the voltage. Fedd the result into a very low leakage capacitor.

I have no idea what are you trying to power, but I dont think your source will be able to power anything. Can you give more details about what is that mysterious power source and what you are trying to do with it?

Ok now I am really confused.
Where is the 14 volts AC coming from?
What are you trying to power wit 3 volts DC/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back