Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC Circuit Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want the LED to light and the rocker switch to light as well.

Can you see the picture? I can provide another link to it.. none of the items in the circuit are currently connected. I just drew the circuit diagram in Paint.

Imageshack - circuitdiagram

Sorry for the confusion.

Radio Shack does not show why the switch has 3 pins instead of only two pins. You need a datasheet (Radio Shack does not have datasheets for their cheap Chinese junk) for the switch to see waht the 3 pins are for.

The LED needs a rectifier to convert AC to pulsing DC and a current-limiting circuit.

The switch has 3 pins, it's basically a SPST switch that includes a neon indicator therefore one of the pins would be neutral in order to connect live and neutral to the neon.

Hey Audio Guru,

I made a mistake.. in the diagram the LED is in fact a lamp that operates at 120V. You are absolutely right if it was in fact an LED i would need a circuit to drove the voltage.

I use only certified locally manufactured electrical switches. The cheap Chinese ones might set your home of fire and without the switch being certified the insurance company will just walk away.

My electrical utility company gave compact fluorescent light bulbs away for free.
People complained that they dripped burning plastic. They were recalled and replaced.
The cheap Chinese manufacturer counterfeited a copy of another manufacturer's certification number. The cheap flammable bulbs were never tested nor certified.

:DAudioGuru,

You are absolutely right about the quality and certification of the switch. Anyhow I hooked up the circuit and got it to work.

I was wondering if you could post a link to a high quality Illuminated / Ceritified SPST switch that I could buy.

thanks! :D

Radio Shack is gone from Canada for trying to sell overpriced cheap Chinese junk.
Digikey and Newark sell excellent quality locally made products for fair prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back