Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A better constant current source. Bench supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

diy didi

I built 2 bench power supplies a couple of years ago. One of the sections of the circuit uses a conventional constant current source with a zener and npn transistor. Textbook stuff.
They used a 3,3V zener which isn't great and varies with temperature along with the Vbe junction of the transistor.
Is there s better way to reference the 3,3V?
Maybe a TL431?

They used a 3,3V zener which isn't great and varies with temperature along with the Vbe junction of the transistor.

Actually a 3.3V zener is the best zener to use, as it's got pretty close to zero temperature co-efficient - which is probably why it was used.

Below that the co-efficient is one way, higher then that it's the other - 3.3 is the 'sweet spot'.

Obviously a TL341 would be far superior though, and is easy to use as a zener replacement (with a couple of resistors).

I used a zener as a reference once... I don't think the zener is the problem as much as the current limiting resistor... I had to use very low PPM/°C ±5... The same as I use in the 4~20mA convertor... The normal resistors are the temperature sensors...

Actually a 3.3V zener is the best zener to use
I don't think the zener is the problem as much as the current limiting resistor
I like the 5.1 and 4.7 Zener. +/- 0.03%/C
upload_2017-8-19_7-13-34.png

I must not understand what Mr. Rogers said. I can not see how a small change in the resistor will effect the voltage (much). The left hand two curves are for the 4.7 and 5.1 Zener. A 1% change in resistor will cause a 1% change in current and maybe a 0.1% in voltage.
It is hard to find a data sheet on a old 5% resistor (through home). The first one I found has 500ppm/C.
upload_2017-8-19_7-24-32.png

I went back and found a data sheet from 1950 showing a CC resistor with 0.2%/C temp. A Carbon Comp resistor should never be used where you care about temperature. LOL So a resistor change of 0.2% could cause a voltage change of about 0.02%.

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-19_7-10-50.png
    upload_2017-8-19_7-10-50.png
    37 KB · Views: 110
  • upload_2017-8-19_7-11-11.png
    upload_2017-8-19_7-11-11.png
    37 KB · Views: 122
I must not understand what Mr. Rogers said. I can not see how a small change in the resistor will effect the voltage (much).
I'm not the best when messing with analogue... But when using a zener diode place your fingers on the limiting resistor and the voltage does move enough to annoy!! when I swapped it out for the low PPM type, it was far more stable... It must have been a carbon type, maybe I wasn't driving the zener with enough current!!

Zeners are used as noise sources so dont forget to put a cap across it, I seem to recall a 5v1 gives a good stability.
A good current source just feeding a resistor would give a reasonable voltage ref, it depends how accurate you want to be.
I agree with the Tl431, its a very popular device.

If you want to compensate for the BJT Vbe change of about -2mV/°C then you could use a 5.2V zener which has about a +2mV/°C change with temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back