Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

92-Ford/F250-Extended Cab (460cu/inch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over here the ol' humble 1 ton ute was the status symbol for a tradie, these days Oz car companies have gone crazy over it. Now they sell 6.2 litre turbo/super charged 2 door utes with a hard cover tray and YES atleast one or two liners. The tires on them are only about 1" thick ( sports car type) and one time a mate came upto the farm. I wondered why he left the ute at the gate and walked upto the shed and when I asked him he replied ' I don't want to scratch the under side on your road'. To say I never fell over laughing was an understatement....

So my call of calling those huge yank tank drivers as wankers was a bit over the top especially with all those 1 ton utes here that will never take a payload bigger than a silk shirt. On an average week of driving I might see one yank tank but 100's of those silk carrying utes that will never see a dirt road......

Cheers Bryan

If you want to know what that means just hang out at the local auto parts place and ask them about the dumb-ass's that occasionally come in and ask if they sell liners for the box liners of their pickups. :(
^^^ WTF? :confused: ^^^
I've seen some pansies place carpet pads on their bedliners despite that they have a $1000+ fiberglass bed cover on their truck and it's never hauled nothing more than a bag of dog food! I think there are some drivers who buy a truck thinking it's more crash-worthy over cars plus the added benefit of viewing traffic from riding in a higher centered vehicle. There's a neighbor not far from me that has a fancy painted Dodge Ram complete with fiberglass bed cover and air spoiler, wrap-around grill guard, fancy side steps, and auxilliary lights. All he carries in the bed is a small pail with wax, rags and auto cleaner!
Isn't it amazing that it requires a ½-ton truck to haul a 3-gallon pail of automobile cleaning supplies?

^^^ WTF? :confused: ^^^I think there are some drivers who buy a truck thinking it's more crash-worthy over cars plus the added benefit of viewing traffic from riding in a higher centered vehicle. There's a neighbor not far from me that has a fancy painted Dodge Ram complete with fiberglass bed cover and air spoiler, wrap-around grill guard, fancy side steps, and auxiliary lights. All he carries in the bed is a small pail with wax, rags and auto cleaner!

I remember when we we're youngster's. Young enough to be stupid and old enough to afford replacement parts. We would head up in the hills and push snow with our bumpers. Three at a time winches on the ready & plenty of beer. All of them we're Ford Pickups four wheel drive big ass tires geared to the nuts. We would go out and find other dumb asses driving other Brands of Pickups and pull them out. One time there was a guy who started on the road and ended up in a meadow with snow up to his windows. My Brother goes down into it, pulls around, hooks on to him and drags him out back onto the road. Needless to say he followed us out and back onto the Highway. When we parted paths, he said I'm trading in this GD peace of **** and I'm buying a Ford:)

Not long ago, I got my F-250 stuck in a field. Don't remember what I was trying to do. Any, the rear tire dug itself a hole so deep that the axle was getting buried. I came back with my Jeep Wrangler and pulled it right out of the hole. That little Wrangler never fails to impress me with the things it can do.

I We would go out and find other dumb asses driving other Brands of Pickups and pull them out. .....When we parted paths, he said I'm trading in this GD peace of **** and I'm buying a Ford:)

I yanked out plenty of Fords with my 1979 1/2-ton Chevy Silverado.

Long ago before that I had a Plymouth Ramcharger (full size like the K5 Blazers.) A bunch of us got drunk and decided to go 4-wheelin'. Of course everyone got stuck in the same creek-bed. A friend of mine was driving a little Chevy Chevette piece of crap in and out of the creek as we laughed and laughed. So he takes off in his car to get extra help and gather up more 4WD trucks to tow us out. As they returned 2 more of the trucks got stuck as well but that stupid Chevette kept going in and out of the muddy creek bed!! Now, some of us are getting mad cause there's all these stuck 4WD vehicles while a Chevette is spinning around us. So, my bud and I decide to go and get his small dozer but before that he suggested that I try to free my truck once more since it was in a better position to escape the mess. I was trying my best to free the vehicle as others are pushing on it, I noticed it was never locked in 4WD-- whoops!! I locked in the transfer case, gave it gas and everyone pushing fell flat on their faces in the muck. Boy were they pissed to learn I was in 2WD all the while. I started yanking out one vehicle at a time and eventually two of us got all of the vehicles out of the creek. What a drunken bunch of fools we were. We did have a good laugh in the end and drank more beer but pulled our keys from the ignitions!!

Last edited:
My first 4wd was an ol' FJ55 Toyota landcruiser, I got it for free as it didn't have a motor and was full of rust. It was a custom built 4 door cab with a full size tray on the back. 12 months later I had re-wired it, put a 6cyl petrol motor in and got it registered. That ol' gal had a top speed of 80K with a strong tail wind and in low range 4wd it would go any where. For fun I used to go in sand and leave a groove where the diff was dragging in the sand. One afternoon me and a mate went out fishing on a sand jetty where we saw a new 100K 4wd stuck in the sand on the low tide mark. I called out and said 'eh mate do ya want me to drag you out'. He replied with that ol' heap of crap don't bother. So we left the guy stranded and went and setup fishing about a kilometre away. About two hours later the guy came up with cap in hand and asked if we could get him out as the tide was rising. My mate casually said OK mate $500 in cash up front, I knocked my mate off his stool and told the guy after your comment make it $1000 cash upfront or pissoff. He guy grumbled and pulled out his wallet and gave me that $1000 and said if you don't get me out I want my money back. Anyway I drove over attached a chain and dragged him out to safety. When we stopped the guy made a smartass comment and drove off. Two weeks later the same guy got bogged and asked me again, I simply said mate after your last comment your new 4wd can be a new home for the fish so go away and don't bother me again.

I will see if I can find my backup disk which has some pic's of that new 4wd with only the roof visible above the water.

I ended up selling that ol' gal and bought a 80 series 2 door ute and the first time I took it in the sand it bloody got bogged.

Cheers Bryan

My first 4wd was an ol' FJ55 Toyota landcruiser, I got it for free as it didn't have a motor and was full of rust. It was a custom built 4 door cab with a full size tray on the back. 12 months later I had re-wired it, put a 6cyl petrol motor in and got it registered. That ol' gal had a top speed of 80K with a strong tail wind and in low range 4wd it would go any where. For fun I used to go in sand and leave a groove where the diff was dragging in the sand. One afternoon me and a mate went out fishing on a sand jetty where we saw a new 100K 4wd stuck in the sand on the low tide mark. I called out and said 'eh mate do ya want me to drag you out'. He replied with that ol' heap of crap don't bother. So we left the guy stranded and went and setup fishing about a kilometre away. About two hours later the guy came up with cap in hand and asked if we could get him out as the tide was rising. My mate casually said OK mate $500 in cash up front, I knocked my mate off his stool and told the guy after your comment make it $1000 cash upfront or pissoff. He guy grumbled and pulled out his wallet and gave me that $1000 and said if you don't get me out I want my money back. Anyway I drove over attached a chain and dragged him out to safety. When we stopped the guy made a smartass comment and drove off. Two weeks later the same guy got bogged and asked me again, I simply said mate after your last comment your new 4wd can be a new home for the fish so go away and don't bother me again.

I will see if I can find my backup disk which has some pic's of that new 4wd with only the roof visible above the water.

I ended up selling that ol' gal and bought a 80 series 2 door ute and the first time I took it in the sand it bloody got bogged.

Cheers Bryan

Sweet Story. I gotta see picks. Hope you can find'em.

A thousand dollars for a tow? And the guy just happens to have that much cash or more on him at the time? Hmmmm, weird. Worse yet is he repeats his mistake again, two weeks later. The whole tale seems prepostorous.

I take it you have not spent much time around city idiots with money and not enough sense to stop driving back into where they keep getting stuck?

A number of years ago I lived in Bismark ND for a semester of college, my second time around, and I lived with an older lady that had her house near the Missouri river on the opposite side from the power plant. There where massive sandbars and the same rich idiots with the same fancy 4WD vehicles always got stuck in nearly the same spots week after week. Our neighbor was a retired guy with a medium sized all wheel drive tractor and I think he made a killing pulling people out almost every day!

After seeing that I would say Bryan1's story is plausible. I don't know about the $1000 part and not taking it a second time but the rest sounds very familiar.

Last edited:
Guys that was up in north western Oz where the average wage is about 3K a week and most guy's wallets are usually full of $$$$ as there aint many banks around and 99% of the workers spend most of their spare time in the pub. Put ya self in that guys shoes if your 100K 4wd was bogged on the low tide mark where the tides are 7-9 metres and the only way to get out is by a guy with a vehicle capable of towing you out. He asks for a wad of cash so would you pay or just sit and watch your prize 4wd slowly go underwater.....

Last edited:
Put ya self in that guys shoes if your 100K 4wd was bogged on the low tide mark where the tides are 7-9 metres and the only way to get out is by a guy with a vehicle capable of towing you out. He asks for a wad of cash so would you pay or just sit and watch your prize 4wd slowly go underwater.....

Now I may be way off on this but I would think the trick becomes not to put your truck in that position to begin with? :)

Ron

100K for a 4WD ? It better be a military Humvee for that kind of money and if it was it wouldn't be stuck being a Humvee. The problem with a good many SUVs and some 4WD trucks is they really aren't up to the tasks their owners ask of them. I get such a laugh out of 4WD mfgrs. slapping OFF-ROAD decals on their vehicles fooling the owners into believing they are ready to take on the Yukon or other challenging territories. Heck, most of the average 4FWs can berely negotiate a semi-dry logging road, let alone a snow covered city street! There's nothing off-road about them indeed. The Unimogs are pretty cool if one can get their hands one surplus.

I do remember the old Toyota Land Cruisers from the 1970's. Great vehicles IMHO. I'd like to get my hands on one and work on it to make it a reliable 4WD. They were built on a good solid chassis to begin with and easy to repair in the field for the most part.

I've owned Toyota's. But, only if you stick to a 4 cylinder. As soon as you get bigger than that it's begins to enjoy guzzling. Land Cruisers have their place I would agree they can navigate some terrain better than others.

I have that 87 Mazda B2600 I did the full propane conversion to last summer and I have been really impressed at how well that can get around in the snow.

It has a good power to weight ratio and the full size tires on a mid sized 4000# pickup setup seems to really get it around in the snow well. Plus the propane setup doesn't seem to care how cold it is and always starts well too!

But when the snow is really deep its still hard to beat my four door F250 super duty 4x4 with a ton of iron in the back!

You have yet to see real cold this year ?

Around here we are experiencing that "global warming" effect. You know, that one where the monthly temps are at least 10 - 15 F below the long term averages and it snows every three to four days. Its been running -5 to -15 F at night and 0 - 10F during the day along with 1 - 4 inches of snow at least once a week or more. :(

I don't mind it now that we have a 140 HP tractor with a heated cab and 9 foot snow blower. :D

Last edited:
I don't mind it now that we have a 140 HP tractor with a heated cab and 9 foot snow blower. :D

You ******* he he :)

I remove your reality and insert my own.

I have a plush snow removal servant who begs me to remove the 12' x 4' pile that my neighbors moved from their drive to mine. No longer do I use my wheel barrow to move the snow discreetly from my front parking spaces to my front yard.

Now back to sipping some Hot chocolate by the fire.

kv

I remove your reality and insert my own.

Well I just found out at my nieces birthday party the heater blower went to pieces earlier today so does that make you feel better? :rolleyes:

If you where near here I would happily put your neighbors snow pile up on their roof or in their back yard or through their front window for you if you so wanted. :D

BTW do they have a small barking dog on a leash? I have an experiment I want to try! :eek:

Well I just found out at my nieces birthday party the heater blower went to pieces earlier today so does that make you feel better? :rolleyes: :

Not funny.

If you where near here I would happily put your neighbors snow pile up on their roof or in their back yard or through their front window for you if you so wanted. :D

That would be funny:)

BTW do they have a small barking dog on a leash? I have an experiment I want to try!

Came up with my own a few years back. I can't stand barking dogs. I need some ear muffs.

Or.......... take a giant rock and huck it like a track and field disk over onto the metal kennel roof. :rrrrfffft:

My experiment was to see how far a 36 inch snow blower impeller going at 600 RPM could toss a yipping football sized dog. :D

The heater was rattling rather bad the other day when I cleaned out my grandparents place so I suspect the one blower wheel finally disintegrated and it just blew the fuse. It needed fixing eventually anyway.

I just would have preferred it to be around 0 C instead of 0 F now that I have to work on it.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back