Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

92-Ford/F250-Extended Cab (460cu/inch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

My Father wants a New Truck.

Feeling bad he never does much to help me, He decides to give Me the truck. Of course he knows I won't just take the Truck. So, he say's I can't Park 2 Trucks at home. So, I want you to Park it and just drive it around a bit, until I figure out what to do with it.

I'm thinking. What the hell does this thing burn? Maybe a Gallon a Block? I for dam sure can't afford it. But, then I think it over; since I'm only 3 minutes from work.

Oh, what the Hell, I'll drive it & feed it.

1. $3,000 Maintenance alone in the past "yr".

2. Trucks valued around $3,500 maybe if I'm lucky.

3. Gas total last yr maybe about $1600.

I just found out it had 3 bad U Joints. "Once Repaired" filled up again.

After driving a normal distance. I could bet where the needle would be. It would have drank at least a 1/4 Tank by now. " What the.....

......you mean to tell me for $180 on the U Joints I could have saved some $$$$$$$$$$

Moral: Don't assume your "big old truck" is a "drunker-ed."

Treat it with some tenderness and keep up on the Maintenance.

Why do ya think they have such a heavy rating for carrying stuff, the reason is so you can put a few 40 gal drums of fuel on the back just to go shopping and have enough fuel to go around the corner to the servo if your lucky. The general saying over here when one sees a guy drivin a huge yank tank, either he's just a ****** of he's full of himself....

Why do ya think they have such a heavy rating for carrying stuff, the reason is so you can put a few 40 gal drums of fuel on the back just to go shopping and have enough fuel to go around the corner to the servo if your lucky. .
The 460 has loads of torque and built so strong you can build one full race with the OEM crank. It may be a beast but it has its place. A diesel was a better choice in that power range. But now that we have clean air diesels with reduced MPG one might give the 460 a second look. I think a strong 350 to 400ci turbo might be a better choice.

Those 460 motors are a favorite at truck pulls. They always outpull the diesels, even the modded turbo diesels-- I've seen them in action myself. The diesels pull steady and strong but the big block gassers rev up fast and sustain horsepower at high rpm over the diesels. So many diesels at the truck pulls that don't even make it into the finals. The motor is worth $3000 alone to a truck puller. I even saw a 350 Chevy 1/2ton outpull a 6-liter Cummins diesel 1-ton dually Dodge. You can bet your bank account at many truck pulls the full-pull trucks are running big block gas motors. Heck, even most monster trucks are powered by high-perf. big block gassers.

bryan 1 --
Why do ya think they have such a heavy rating for carrying stuff, the reason is so you can put a few 40 gal drums of fuel on the back just to go shopping and have enough fuel to go around the corner to the servo if your lucky. The general saying over here when one sees a guy drivin a huge yank tank, either he's just a ****** of he's full of himself....
Uuuh yeah, ok! I drive a Dodge ¾-ton 4WD 8-liter V10 (488cid). It gets 14-15mpg highway for a truck with a curb weight of 6200 lbs. and tows my 6500lb RV like an empty tin can behind it, even going up hill. When the 1000 lb.+ plow is attached, I can barely notice any handling differences to when it's detached. Despite the suspension being rated for 1-ton, the ride is surprisingly smooth and not that stiff. I haul loads of firewood, metal, dirt, ets at various times.
So given all that, am I a ****** or full of myself? Before you answer that question, read my signature line in blue.

Last edited:
My
I just found out it had 3 bad U Joints. "Once Repaired" filled up again.

After driving a normal distance. I could bet where the needle would be. It would have drank at least a 1/4 Tank by now. " What the.....

......you mean to tell me for $180 on the U Joints I could have saved some $$$$$$$$$$

I have doubts about that. Bad U-joints can leave you stranded on the side of the highway, but I never heard of saving fuel by replacing them.

Last edited:

Yak, yak.

I wouldn't think it's the Trucks. It would be the original Military Hummer. Got 8 miles to the Gallon.

Last edited:
Last edited:
You mean the guy at the end? Who said U-joints? I don't think he knows his avatar from a hole in the ground. I might believe it if we're talking about a little 4-cylinder, but a 460??? Nada.

If you ever think about getting rid of it, hit me up :)

I thought his avatar was pretty funny too!

Yeah, the old Man took car of the old girl. It's in far shape I wish I had the money to drop, I just might do some overhauling. We used to have a big shop, we pulled Diesels into. It had Snap-on Tools, engine puller on an I beam, Engine Stand, heater, painted floor with giant shed filled to the brim with scrap.

I missed that old House. I wish I had the Capital Back then to buy it. The old man sold it to a Toyota Dealership. My bedroom became the Parts Dept.

Edit: Maybe it's due to the Fact that it was three and not just one. I notice when I accelerated; it would be like something pushing back or going up a hill.

Last edited:
Wow! It's good to have a place to play. I have a 700 square foot shop, but I'd really like to expand and put in a car lift. I'd say I'll do it someday... but I'm beginning to run a little short on somedays.

PS, I have a 6.9L F250 diesel, but I'd love to get one of those monster gas burners to play with too.

Last edited:
Wow! It's good to have a place to play. I have a 700 square foot shop, but I'd really like to expand and put in a car lift. I'd say I'll do it someday... but I'm beginning to run a little short on somedays.

PS, I have a 6.9L F250 diesel, but I'd love to get one of those monster gas burners to play with too.

So, your a ****** too!

Silly Americans and there toy's. hehe.

When I had my Business, I had 6,000 Sqft. But, it was never tall enough to pull a big rig into.

I know all about those some day's. My long term goal for success is dwindling.

Quote:KV

"Still, young men rarely see their sand surging along the narrowly Chamfered figure of our Dark Lady, time"

Reminds me of my Evil Brothers Vile Kennworth. He was Banned in California for overloading. Once that happened he lost the Truck and now is a Cement Finisher.

It's ridiculous how much Power is in these Trucks. The seat's are so soft it's like floating on air, makes an amazingly delicate ride. I think Lincoln and Caty's would be......."jealous with Desire"

Those type setups are only "somewhat" practical for 5th wheel RVs that are 40' or longer with 3-4 slide-outs. A modern 1-ton dually with a good diesel is very capable of properly towing and handling a large 5th wheel behind it. A large rig as you suggest is too costly in licensing the number of axles and weight for towing an RV. The gearbox is also not matched to the load-- it's more than what's really needed.

I had a 1985 F150 I put a built up 460 in that came out of a mid 70's Lincoln. I did the full performance and towing rebuild on it and put a custom built E4OD with a PCS electronic transmission controller behind it. Driven conservatively it easily got mid to upper teens. I loved that pickup it was like a rocket with the 400+ HP and 500+ Ft/Lb of torque. It could do a burnout that smoked like a prairie fire and could easily get up into drive while doing it! It might have been able to get to OD but I never had enough tire rubber to go that far! :D

Unfortunately three years ago a little old lady took the front end off it and bought my 99 F250 Super duty 4 door shortly after that.
Unfortunately the 99 does not have near the power or fuel economy so some day when I am sick of feeding the underpowered V10 I may refit the 460 into it. :)

If you get rid of the emissions systems and put duel 2.5 inch exhaust with an aftermarket 4bbl carb rated at around 600 - 750 CFM that is jetted for 12.9:1 A/F ratio you will likely pick up a little more power and a good gain on the fuel millage. The 460's never liked being lean burn emissions compliant engines. Their power and fuel efficiency suffers severely for it. ;)

Last edited:
It doesn't surprise me some members would of taken my above quote out of context. I did say over here 'meaning Oz' where city slickers drive those huge yank tanks around town looking like they own the road. If you said to them take it off the road for some paddock bashing they would be blank stared and say what get it dirty or the paint scratched.... It is well known since wheels were used for travel the general consensus for yanks is the bigger gas guggler the better and what the hell fuel is cheap.

It is well known since wheels were used for travel the general consensus for yanks is the bigger gas guggler the better and what the hell fuel is cheap.

Funny you should say that, talking to one of my Tech's I made reference to your comment; his first conclusion came down to exactly that. Fuel cost comparisons; smaller is better over there. Seems we could be looking at similar distances away from towns, settlements etc. And that it seems absurd to use it for travel.

Much less to carry a barbecue and a few beers up for a weekend in the hills.

The wankers who refuse to get em dirty are driving status symbols. May as well be beemer. Don't blame US for their choices.

Fuel is comparatively cheap in the US and I do not expect it to go much above $3. Anything past that and makes it to attractive to develop alternatives. As it is there are drilling like crazy in places.

In my town there are about equal number of pickups and cars. Most of the pickups do jobs that could not be done with a six or four banger.

The wankers who refuse to get em dirty are driving status symbols. May as well be beemer. Don't blame US for their choices.

We have those types here as well. Some of us call them the 'liner liner guys' or the 'double liners'.

If you want to know what that means just hang out at the local auto parts place and ask them about the dumb-ass's that occasionally come in and ask if they sell liners for the box liners of their pickups. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back