Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FORD Develops Heart Rate Monitoring Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool idea, many people spend a decent amount of time in their cars, health sensors built into the car seem like a great way to keep an eye on things.

There's an app for that...

Does the engine have to be running for it to work? Can it be wired to the back seat? It seems the possibilities are limitless for such a useless invention. I am glad Ford is making enough money to do that sort of R&D.

John

Sometimes this small measures prevent a potential health risk.

Car: I detect a dangerous heart condition and will not allow you to drive as it could be hazardous.

Driver: But I'm on my way to the hospital.

LOL

Mike.

Actually the application for such a thing might be after an auto accident (after all, they do have services that monitor auto collisions in a vehicle). The system could notify a service of ones vitals thus enabling the service to determine whether BLS (Basic Life Saving) or ALS (Advanced Life Saving) responders are needed to be sent to the scene. Then again, what is to say the system will operate after a auto collision.

Last edited:
How would heart rate alone, without knowledge of other conditions, allow a remotely located observer to make the determination of BLS or ALS with sufficient accuracy for the significance of that decision?

Would every seat in the car be so equipped? Maybe, this is just a advanced way to tax car owners for "occupant miles?"

John

Actually, the useful thing would be that it wouldn't keep beeping at you to belt up that heavy bag of groceries on the front seat. Or, would it inform the police that you are transporting a corpse.

Mike.

There is nothing wrong with transporting a corpse that way. At least they don't complain. A mortician friend of mine used to strap them into the co-pilot seat of his Cessna for transport. It did cause a few smiles, but the strutless Cessna's are well suited for that purpose.

John

A friend of mine used to pickup corpses from the hospital to take to the university (in a van). He always wondered if he was allowed to use the T2 lane. For anyone that doesn't know, to use the T2 lane you must have at least two people in the vehicle.

Mike.

How would heart rate alone, without knowledge of other conditions, allow a remotely located observer to make the determination of BLS or ALS with sufficient accuracy for the significance of that decision?

Would every seat in the car be so equipped? Maybe, this is just a advanced way to tax car owners for "occupant miles?"

John

If I saw an extremely low or high hear rate, I would send ALS. Never said the HR monitor in a car was a great idea, just suggested a possible application.

A friend of mine used to pickup corpses from the hospital to take to the university (in a van). He always wondered if he was allowed to use the T2 lane. For anyone that doesn't know, to use the T2 lane you must have at least two people in the vehicle.

Mike.

I think the assumption is that the passengers are alive, one must consider The nature of the law...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back