741 as a comparator

Status
Not open for further replies.

4electros

I want to ask if 741 op-amp works as a comparator?! I know that it works as amplifier and for offset DC voltage...
please help!!

thanks in advance!

It can but you need to take a look at op-amp parameters. One is if the high and low output voltages meet your needs. Another is if the op amp has acceptable saturation recovery characteristics- some need a brief period to recover once the output has been driven to the positive or negative rail.

4electros said:
I want to ask if 741 op-amp works as a comparator?! I know that it works as amplifier and for offset DC voltage...
please help!!

Yes, it's a common use of a 741 - although a LOT depends what you want to do with it?, a chip designed as a comparator will be a great deal faster, but a 741 is more than good enough for most purposes.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Yes, it's a common use of a 741 - although a LOT depends what you want to do with it?, a chip designed as a comparator will be a great deal faster, but a 741 is more than good enough for most purposes.

Is the 741 has delay time when toggling from (+Vcc saturation) to (-Vcc saturation)...?
could you please tell me more about the characteristics of this operaitonal amplifier, if that's possible!

Thanks in advance!

Have a look at for plenty of information. As I asked before, what are you wanting to do with it?, and for that matter - why use such an old low spec opamp?, unless you have a bucket full of them? :lol:

yeh it can be
as a comparator as well as a window comparator
hav used them in my university's lab
nigel is right...he is always right
use an ic DESIGNED as a comparator...
it'll give u a better result

Nigel Goodwin said:
Have a look at for plenty of information. As I asked before, what are you wanting to do with it?, and for that matter - why use such an old low spec opamp?, unless you have a bucket full of them? :lol:

for this:
**broken link removed**

For that ANYTHING would be OK, you could probably do it with clockwork :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…