Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5v (USB) to 3v Project to power Laser Cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

duttydea

I have seen a Laser Cutter From a 3.2v Laser!!

What i want to do is Create a Voltage Regulator that will allow me to go from 1.1v to 3.0v.

I have seen Power supplys with faders and dials, but I dont know what parts I would need to step down a 5v supply from USB to power the laser to a max 3.0v aswell as ajust it.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

Before suggesting anything, we would need to know how much current the laser draws.

Also, are you powering the Laser Diode directly, or does it have its own driving electronics? Lasers are a ***** to drive; they need special current-sensing and protection circuitry. It is NOT just a matter of hooking a DC supply to them!

Last edited:
The laser is a 780nm 5mW laser OEM module 3.2VDC w/ adj. lens 780nm
**broken link removed**

I draws a maximum of 3.2v!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I'm still finding it hard to find a PCB layout and parts list for a circuit to:

Here is a 3v Battery / Powercell Version
**broken link removed**

1. Limit The 5V DC From A USB Port To 3.0V DC
  2. Then be able to adjust the output from between 1.5v & 3.0

Because i intend on using the laser to cut & etch i would need the variable output in order to adjust the intensity!

I Know I need a Voltage Regulator to limit the 5v to 3v and a Potentiometer to be able to adjust between the Min & Max Voltage.

My experience is limited,

Thanks in advance

Where did you see this laser cutter? link? You need 3.2 volts for the laser diode to light, but needs 30-50 mA of current to be bright. Little skeptical of the cutting power of a laser diode, but it would be cool. I've burned out a few laser diodes trying to increase the output, and have found that it happens real quickly.

This page has everything (and more) that you need to know about lasers, circuits and other stuff. Sam's Laser FAQ - Diode Lasers

I doubt it...

Well if the Laser is not power enough, then what mW should i be looking for?

Also is there a Diagram & or a PCB Layout for the power supply? I think i will com in handy on other projects!

Thanks for the comments & Help

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back