Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5PDT Relay ; 5V Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoblessPunk

Hello,
I'm very new to this thread and I'm looking for some help.

I need a 5-Pole Double Throw Relay with 5V Control, or something that can do the same thing as a 5PDT Relay.

Thank you for your help
-Tim

UPDATE:
I think this is close to what I need, but it is 4-Pole:
232-G6A-474P-ST-US-DC5.jpg

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
What exactly are you trying to do, and why something so complex with a relay? They're not really good for that type of thing.

What exactly are you trying to do, and why something so complex with a relay? They're not really good for that type of thing.

Thank you for your replay,
I'm very new to this and I might be over thinking it. If you have a better way to do this please let me know.

I drew out a diagram of what I'm dealing with, it my seem very childish since I don't know how to draw blueprints, but it will get the point across.

252-5pdtrelay.jpg

What I have is a Joystick that has 5 poles:
Up + Down + Left + Right + Ground

I want to be able to connect to #1 connection then with a flip of a switch disconnect all 5 leads from #1 and move them to #2. That is all I want to do, nothing to major or that complicated but this seems like the best way to do it.

The switch I can use has 2 positions:
"on/off"

Another factor that I have to take in account is I have very little room to work with.

Thank you for your help
-tim

EDIT:
at a quick look at the switch I can use I actually have 3 poles, not 2. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
You dont have to switch the ground pin; leave it connected to both joysticks. That leaves only 4 poles. How about a 4PDT toggle switch...

You dont have to switch the ground pin; leave it connected to both joysticks. That leaves only 4 poles. How about a 4PDT toggle switch...

You mean connect both grounds from #1 and #2 to the joystick's ground right?

I was thinking I could just keep both grounds connected to the joystick but I wasn't sure if it would interfere.

If that is the case I believe I will be going with this 4PDT Relay:
TQ4-5V Panasonic Electric Works Low Signal Relays - PCB

If I can read the specs correctly then this relay should be:
  • 5VDC
  • 4PDT
  • 9mm(W) + 14mm(L) + 5mm(H)
This one should work with what I'm trying to do right?

If anyone has another way to do this I'm open to suggestions, and thank you for everyone's help so far.

Thank you for your replay,
I'm very new to this and I might be over thinking it. If you have a better way to do this please let me know.

I drew out a diagram of what I'm dealing with, it my seem very childish since I don't know how to draw blueprints, but it will get the point across.

252-5pdtrelay.jpg

What I have is a Joystick that has 5 poles:
Up + Down + Left + Right + Ground

I want to be able to connect to #1 connection then with a flip of a switch disconnect all 5 leads from #1 and move them to #2. That is all I want to do, nothing to major or that complicated but this seems like the best way to do it.

The switch I can use has 2 positions:
"on/off"

Another factor that I have to take in account is I have very little room to work with.

Thank you for your help
-tim

EDIT:
at a quick look at the switch I can use I actually have 3 poles, not 2. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry again but thinking about it if you are only switching the switch manualy (eg with your finger) you can have a look here **broken link removed**

Sorry again but thinking about it if you are only switching the switch manualy (eg with your finger) you can have a look here **broken link removed**

I was just looking at something similar:
ASE62 Product Details - Tyco Electronics

looking at there catalog it looks like they sell 4PDT and 6PDT configurations.

Do you think it would be more reliable on the switch instead of having a relay? It seems like with the switch you don't need any power supply, does that bring the margin for error or malfunction way down?

it will because there wont need to be circuitry controlling the relay and it stop the need for a power supply. with a relay you are just looking for more parts so will cost more and not be as effective.

it will because there wont need to be circuitry controlling the relay and it stop the need for a power supply. with a relay you are just looking for more parts so will cost more and not be as effective.

Awesome and thank you for your insight, I'm new to all this and I'm kinda diving head first just to finish a project I'm working on.

I believe I'm going with this switch:
TTI Inc. - Part Search Results

The picture kind of throws me off:
268-pr1q89b05a.jpg

but in the catalog they offer:
DPDT(Double Pole Double Throw)
4PDT (4-Pole Double Throw)
4P3T (4-Pole Triple Throw)
6PDT (6-Pole Double Throw)

so I'm guessing they are just showing one of the other configurations.
Also, if you look at the "top switch" versions picture they show the 6PDT configuration:
269-pr1q89b05b.jpg

Here is the page out of there catalog:
**broken link removed**

Thank you for your feed back everyone, and I'm open to any suggestions.
-tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back