Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

directbuyers

on the #3 out pin of a 555 timer chip, if I attach an LED & resistor with the other end to ground I get a response like "on and off" but if I attach the LED to the #3 pin and the other end to the positive instead of the ground I get the opposite response like "off and on". Why? What is the chip sending out of that #3 pin?

pin 3 is going high and low

so an LED resistor connected from V+ to pin 3 AND another resistor LED connected from pin 3 o ground you will get alternating LEDs.
Remember the 555 will only sink or source about 20-25ma max if im not mistaken.

The 555 has a "push-pull" output, which lets it either "source" current from its supply pin to a load, or "sink" current through a load to ground.

Last edited:
so an LED resistor connected from V+ to pin 3 AND another resistor LED connected from pin 3 o ground you will get alternating LEDs.
There are many types of "555". For example the National LM555 will source and sink 200mA.

I guess you turned the LED backwards, I don't think it will do that with the anode to pin 3 and the cathode to Vcc, if you turned it backwards of course it will do the opposite, your on time will be when the 555 sinks current, instead of when it is supplying. The experts, correct me if I'm wrong.

The normal 555 will sink or source 100mA to 200mA depending on its supply voltage.
The Cmos 555 will sink 50mA and will source 10mA if its supply is 12V to 15V. Its output current is very low at low supply voltages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back