Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4017 Decade counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

markn

Hello Folks,

I am using this IC with a 555 timer to trigger a series of solid state relays.
I tested my circuit on a seperate breadboard and everything worked fine: i.e. the solenoids fired at preset sequence. However, when I assembled everthing on the final board for installing into the control, I nothing works properly. The problem is, upon powerup, all the solenoids fire at once and now nothing fires in sequence. Do I have to tie the unused pins of the 4017 to ground?

A 4017 is a CMOS part. Floating CMOS inputs wreak havoc with deterministic behaviour. It would be a good place to start. Could you also post a schematic if that doesn't work.

I see 2 obvious possibilities: 1) you made a wiring error or 2) you blew out the cmos part with an electro-static discharge. I'd bet on #1, if I was a betting man.

it is a good idea to tie unused inputs to something (high or low depends - consult the datasheet) but if you didn't do it on the breadboard, it likely won't be an issue on the final assembly.

markn said:
Hello Folks,

I am using this IC with a 555 timer to trigger a series of solid state relays.
I tested my circuit on a seperate breadboard and everything worked fine: i.e. the solenoids fired at preset sequence. However, when I assembled everthing on the final board for installing into the control, I nothing works properly. The problem is, upon powerup, all the solenoids fire at once and now nothing fires in sequence. Do I have to tie the unused pins of the 4017 to ground?
Did you
1. connect diodes across the solenoid coils to protect against the "back EMF"?

2. connect bypass capacitors across the supply pins of the 4017 and 555?

bypass capacitor?

No i didn't connect bypass caps. Are they caonnected in series or from ground to the supply input pins?

philba said:
...but if you didn't do it on the breadboard, it likely won't be an issue on the final assembly.
I can't agree with this. Floating CMOS inputs are totally unpredictable. You can literally wave your hand over a chip with floating input(s) and cause it to change state. They also can cause relatively high power dissipation by floating at a level that makes the pullup and the pulldown be on simultaneously.

well, we shall see when he solves it. My point was that grossly different behavior is likely to be a wiring error or blown chip. If he had said "I wave my hand and it behaves differently", we would be in agreement. notice also, I did say it's a good idea to tie them.

philba said:
well, we shall see when he solves it. My point was that grossly different behavior is likely to be a wiring error or blown chip. If he had said "I wave my hand and it behaves differently", we would be in agreement. notice also, I did say it's a good idea to tie them.
Philba, I didn't intend to start an argument. All I meant was "but if you didn't do it on the breadboard, it likely won't be an issue on the final assembly" sounds to me like he shouldn't worry about it. He definitely should.

markn said:
No i didn't connect bypass caps. Are they caonnected in series or from ground to the supply input pins?
They are connected across the Vcc and Gnd pins of the IC.

I agree with RonH, with CMOS devices, inputs should not be left open.

Ron H said:
Philba, I didn't intend to start an argument. All I meant was "but if you didn't do it on the breadboard, it likely won't be an issue on the final assembly" sounds to me like he shouldn't worry about it. He definitely should.

no argument but it's a good idea to quote in context - it seems like you were saying that I said don't bother tying them. I did say it was a good idea. I still suspect wiring error.

Debugging

Hi Guys,

I've been trying to find any wiring errors and as of yet have not found anything wrong. i suspect that the problem lies with the fact that i didn't use a cap on the ICs power source terminals. One thing that I should mention is that the circuit also contains 6 one shot devices, and a hex inverter before the drivers to the SSRs. I don't have any way to draw you a schematic, can anyone suggest a source for a schematic drawing program?

Mark

Diptrace at https://diptrace.com/ is quite good. It has a 30 day trial.

ExpressSch from **broken link removed** is decent, and will get you by. Fortunatly, It is free.

EagleCad is decent also. A lot of people have it. . It has a freeware version that should suffice.

Hope this helps!

Success

Hi Guys,

I was able to get the circuit to work by putting a capacitor across the power and ground terminals of the 4017 counter and 4069 hex inverter chips. Thanks for the advice, how does one determine the size of the capacitor to use? I had two 15 mfd electrolytic caps and they did the trick, however I know that there must be a way to properly size the cap to use.

The value of a supply bypass capacitor depends on the internal resistance of the power supply. If the power supply is a disposable battery then its internal resistance increases as it runs down so the bypass capacitor's value must be larger.

Decade counter

Hi all,

there is practically no other way than connecting just three inputs of a 4017 somewhere. They are all important for proper function of the chip.

The input pins (in sequence) are: pin13 (ClOCK INHIBIT), 0=ENABLE CLOCK, 1=DISABLE CLOCK; pin14 (CLOCK), self explanatory, a counter without a clock signal can't count; pin15 (RESET), 0=RUN, 1=RESET.

According to the describtion of the malfunction I analyse reverse polarity for the power supply, in other words "CD4017 - RIP"
Basic rule in electronics: Before applying power to a new circuit check the power without ICs. Can also be done on a breedboard using IC-sockets. Power down until all voltages on the board have deminished. Insert the ICs and run. (saves some money too) :)

Boncuk

Last edited:
just registered

Just to say hello to all ive just, practically justv registered.

Hi pr0ff,

welcome to the forum. Congratulations for successful registering. Is there any relationship with the thread here? :D

Boncuk

The value of a supply bypass capacitor depends on the internal resistance of the power supply.

It also depends on additional factors, such as distance from the power supply, how much local decoupling (or mass) capacitance there is on the board, types of chips being used, etc. Certain logic families specify how much bypass capacitance is needed, per how many chips. Some IC types need more bypass than others, for example synchronous logic parts, whilst some families need one bypass cap per IC when others don't.

For example, National Semiconductor application note AN-375 for HCMOS parts stipulates 10nF per every two to five packages spaced within 12cm, 100nf for every ten. That would be in addition to local board decoupling of, say, 50-100uF of aluminum electrolytic, or 10-20uf tantalum.

Modify my circuit, replacing the optos with relays.

Attachments

• xmaslights.gif
    xmaslights.gif
    71.5 KB · Views: 302
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back