Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4017 as a variable resistor??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I desolder parts with a "solder sucker". It has a piston that is pushed with a spring. I press the piston with my thumb then trigger it and it slurps up the solder.
It takes about 2 seconds to remove a resistor or capacitor. My soldering iron is temperature controlled so there is no damage to the solder sucker or the parts.

I desolder parts with a "solder sucker". It has a piston that is pushed with a spring. I press the piston with my thumb then trigger it and it slurps up the solder.
It takes about 2 seconds to remove a resistor or capacitor. My soldering iron is temperature controlled so there is no damage to the solder sucker or the parts.
My sister rides a bicycle.

locating capacitors ??

found most of the capacitors but they are all smt.
no big deal, just fewer holes to drill.
found a pair of piezo tweeters for $4
now just pray alot the thing will work
waiting for the PIR modules
got my junebug in the mail. now need to assemble then figure out how to use it for programming a chip for this project.
anyone do a double sided board using the Pulsar laminator?
I assume I print both sides at one time??
just getting the traces lined up.
Last one (first one) came out ok using an iron. I coated one side with spray paint, etched the one side, drilled the holes then removed the paint,painted the etched side then aligned the holes then etched.
worried that the patterns won't line up after going through the laminator.
any suggestions??

The deer will say,"Listen, do you hear a far away police car? No? Maybe a far away ambulance or fire truck?"
"Or it is somebody playing noises to drive us away?"
Then the deer laugh at you.

Yeah, I think I covered that in a post on this thread a few days ago =) Acoustical warnings like that are useless. It'll work 2-3 times tops, then the dear will just ignore it. They're not that stupid. Any animal will learn to ignore a stimulus in their environment that don't have any negative impact on them.

Yeah, I think I covered that in a post on this thread a few days ago =) Acoustical warnings like that are useless. It'll work 2-3 times tops, then the dear will just ignore it. They're not that stupid. Any animal will learn to ignore a stimulus in their environment that don't have any negative impact on them.
This isn't about deer, but it illustrates what you are saying. When I worked at Grass Valley Group on a beautiful campus in the Sierra Nevada foothills, they had a problem with pigeons roosting in the eaves. Sometime before I started to work there, they had mounted some realistic-looking "statues" of owls under the eaves. They were big enough for pigeons to perch on, and were covered with pigeon poop.

my hope is that the sound will

annoy the deer
make them not want to be around the sound.
maybe the up down warrable so to speak will drive them to the hills.
In others words cause pain but a pain in the neck.
after building this project I will pray that it keeps working then after selling LOTS of units my scout troop will go to summer camp for free

MrDEB, you fail to understand the basic problem. A simple annoying sound will not prevent the deer from showing up at a place they want to be for either food or water. It WILL spook them, a time or two, and then they will ignore it, because it doesn't matter how annoyed you are with a sound if you're hungry or thirsty, you'll eat or drink. If you can construct something that will function a time or two and know at the outset that it is doomed to fail utterly as a permanent solution, then sleep well, and pray as you wish. To do this for profit for any purpose is wrong.

Last edited:
why is it wrong??

deer are eating every garden they can get close to as well as landscape plants.
there are lots of plants to eat in the forest. its just that coming to town is easier.
I am not talking about a few deer but lots of deer.
maybe I can have this device change its tone after X# of times. that way the deer won't know whats coming next.
yes I pray that this device will work, inflict maybe a slight hearing pain but not harm the deer.
sounds mean but somethings gotta be done.
If it works as is perhaps one could mount on their car and avoid hitting any wildlife.
have you ever imangined someone hitting a deer, elk or moose?
the damage is drastic.
lots of people have $500-$1000 bumper grills on their trucks and some cars.
several weeks ago I and my wife took a drive down river and saw 6 carcuss on the side of the road within 20 miles.
Oh yea got to see a golden eagle up close having lunch (boy are they a big bird!!)
wrong -- I say no way.
Do you lock your doors at night?? Thats wrong. what if a homeless person needs a place to sleep?

MrDEB, you mistake what I'm saying as a conversation about right or wrong. It's a simple point about living organisms. It CAN NOT WORK. I live near a lake with a lot of farm land and forest/swamp near the lake. I know ALL about deer. You stay out of their way, drive slower during their active times and if their populations get out of control you increase hunting permits. But don't be naive and think a silly little siren is going to suddenly solve deer issues in your area, this HAS been done before, and it hasn't worked, or there still wouldn't be deer problems all over the place. I'm not saying don't try, but this is not a new idea. I see worry about landscape and gardens and car bumpers, and no worry about DEER. There have been deer whistles available for cars for YEARS, oscilating ones too to produce warbles. They don't work! The deer have NO CLUE what the noise means from a distance, get used to it and still get hit by the vehicle.

We had deer like that in Pikeville Ky. I tell you what we did we went about a mile from are
house and planted a corn field. Did it one time and no more deer in the back yard.

Now Be8 has a good idea there if you have that big of a deer problem =) Corns cheap to plant too, if you have a little bit of land.

most if not all alarms

either produce ultrasonic sound or turn on a radio.
have even seen some that spray water.
the deer whoopers on cars - back to ultrasonic and they depend on speed of car as well.
have yet to see one that has 2 back and forth sounds producing 2 - 6 khz (the hearing range of deer (found on web)
we have lots of grain fields out on the ranches (have lots of cattle around as well) but the deer still like landscape plants and gardens as well.
Who knows maybe this will work. I can only hope.
if it works some then we improve the design - using a pic for sure on the next design.

HaHa,
This thread is hilarious. Reminds me of my neibourhood in the early 90's when someone put a few clear plastic bottles of water on their lawn. The theory was that dogs won't crap near a source of fresh water. Guess what, it wasn't long before 50% of the neibourhood had bottles of water on their lawns making the place look like some sort of rubbish dump. Guess what else- It didn't work. That didn't stop the proliferation of water bottles though. If it fails MrDeb, you will still get your scout trip because people are stupid. The following years trip can be funded by the installation of an upgrade- otherwise known as 'Odour offensive to Deer dispenser' and the following years overseas scout jaunt can be funded by Phase 3- 'The electric fence'.
You don't want the first release to work too well because then you can't onsell to your existing customers.;)

What the hey

Well, at least Mr. Deb is learning something! Probably having some fun too. He will be able to use his new found PIC knowledge for other projects.

I really think you should simplify to a single amp and speaker though. You will not really get a stereo effect unless the two speakers are separated by a fair amount. Otherwise the difference will not be worth the effort. For your speakers, you want something in the 100dB efficiency range, then a couple hundred mW will be more than enough to annoy everyone in the area.

I do fear that within a short while, these will be annoying the people more than the deer. But you never know. They are pretty skittish. We use these sound cannons. But you need a permit. Plus you probably have to be zoned agricultural. When no one is looking, we have other techniques ;)

Garden plants are much more juicy than grain. We have grass pastures and that seems to help keep them out of the garden. The corn idea may be on the right track. Dedicate some property outside of town with a plant they just can't pass up. Maybe berries or something. A sacrificial plot.

reason for two speakers

the circuit is designed to cycle back and forth.
speaker one goes from 2 khz to 4 khz then back down to 2 khz
speaker 2 goes from 6 khz to 4 khz the back up to 6khz
all simultaneously.
with any luck the sound will drive the deer away
as far as volum - don't want it too loud.
looking at using piezo tweeters
**broken link removed**
yes may have to add a small amp.
the alarm will only sound for 5-10 seconds
I would really like to use a pic but want/ need to learn how to program one.
have the Junebug kit, swordfish, pickit2 all loaded up and getting more confused.
hopfully I can copy/paste code.
Mikroe posted an example of using the 16f84 (see microcontroller form/junebug has arrived) as a two tone beeper but the junebug only? programs the 18f1320?? not sure.

the circuit is designed to cycle back and forth.
speaker one goes from 2 khz to 4 khz then back down to 2 khz
speaker 2 goes from 6 khz to 4 khz the back up to 6khz
all simultaneously.
Yeah, I got that part. But unless you plan to have them a few feet apart, then you would be just as well off with one speaker. You do understand that one speaker will simultaneously reproduce the output from both oscillators (or more)? I know that's redundant but I wasn't sure you understood that part.
Without adequate separation, the deer probably won't perceive them as separate sources. The other thing you want to think about is phase.
The results will be different if the two oscillators are in or out of phase. You should experiment with that to see which is more annoying (I suspect in phase).

as far as volum - don't want it too loud.
looking at using piezo tweeters
**broken link removed**yes may have to add a small amp.

94dB. Not great but for $1.70, not bad. Should be just fine with 1w.

The piezo tweeter has no spec's.
It says 50W but does not say how much sound 50W makes. Maybe just smoke. It also does not say the frequency range.

The piezo tweeter has no spec's.
It says 50W but does not say how much sound 50W makes. Maybe just smoke. It also does not say the frequency range.

Yup, it does for me anyway...
range is 3.5-27kHz (deviation not specified though)
sensitivity is 94dB

[my last post went into moderation so this may be out of sync as well....]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back