Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4,096MHz quartz crystall and CMOS 4060 IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
. Circuits built on a breadboard also have reduced high frequencies.

I have not found a problem when using my breadboards upto 20MHz, also I have run HEF4060's with 4MHz xtals, you must be using lousy old breadboards.

We have all seen photos of breadboarded circuits (with no planning) with parts all over the place and a huge tangle of wires that are too long. Those breadboard circuits usually don't work and are asked in the forum for a fix.

We have all seen photos of breadboarded circuits (with no planning) with parts all over the place and a huge tangle of wires that are too long. Those breadboard circuits usually don't work and are asked in the forum for a fix.

This why added this note to my earlier post.
So don't be put off by old wives tales and web mythology, just ensure your projects always have good decoupling on the power rails and keep your wire links short and tidy.

So are you agreeing , its not the project thats the basic problem, but the OP's lack of care in his/her layout.???

Many circuit problems on these forums are caused by the tangle of too long wires and capacitance between tracks on breadboards used at logic or radio frequencies. I laugh whenever a photo of the tangle of wires on a breadboard is posted.

Many circuit problems on these forums are caused by the tangle of too long wires and capacitance between tracks on breadboards used at logic or radio frequencies. I laugh whenever a photo of the tangle of wires on a breadboard is posted.

I totally agree with your post regarding the 'birds nest' construction that we are asked to sort out for OP's

What I cannot agree with are your comments, stating that 'bread boards, project boards' as being lousy and unsuitable for 'higher' frequency projects, IMO this is misleading to wannabes and will put them off from trying to use these boards.

I have and still do use PIC's on project boards operating using 20MHz crystals without any problems.
My word of caution with these boards are when they are used with low level RF and high current projects, is don't.!

The golden rule is ' adequate power rail decoupling and to plan the component layout in order to keep the wire links as short as possible'.
I have seen many poorly laid out and tracked PCB's that give the same problems as birds nest project boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back