3v doubler to 60v. NE2 neon light no data sheet. 100 neon in parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figure that your 0.1uF and 1k parts produce a frequency of about 1.6kHz. But if your toroid has a ferrite core then it needs at least 40kHz.
The TIP122 has a saturation voltage loss of about 1.2v so each side will have a peak swing of only 2V then the output into a transformer that works will be only 40 turns/10 turns + 10 turns= 4V peak. You need many turns on the secondary to get a high output voltage.

The 0.5uF capacitor parallel with the neon bulb with the 2.2M resistor feeding it produce a slowly blinking light when powered from DC. Get rid of the 0.5uF capacitor for the Neon to light from a high AC voltage.

I only did 2 to 1 ratio on the transformer just to see if it works. .006 volts is nothing. I don't have any suitable transistors to get higher amps expect 2N3055 and that is over kill for this project. I ask the other day about toroid mininum frequency and got no answer so now i know 40KHz. I have been wondering what Hz the joule thief runs at? Looks like this joule thief runs at 14.6HZ if I did math right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…